azy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004

Hi what exactly does the disk cleaner in windows do. SHould one run it often
and why? is it safe to do and is it necessary for all of us to do. How
often? please advise because I want to install sp2 and am trying to get my
pc ready and read that doing this before as well as occasionally, is a good
idea. thanks

"Azy" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message
> Hi what exactly does the disk cleaner in windows do. SHould one run it
> often
> and why? is it safe to do and is it necessary for all of us to do. How
> often? please advise because I want to install sp2 and am trying to get my
> pc ready and read that doing this before as well as occasionally, is a
> good
> idea. thanks

Are you referring to Disk Cleanup, part of System Tools or the standalone
third party utility Disk Cleaner?

azy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004

The one that comes with win XP home - Is it the same as the defrag tool that
also comes with XP??? Maybe that is what it is called. Questions apply for
defrag tools as well-
"Edward W. Thompson" <thomeduk1@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> "Azy" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message
> > Hi what exactly does the disk cleaner in windows do. SHould one run it
> > often
> > and why? is it safe to do and is it necessary for all of us to do. How
> > often? please advise because I want to install sp2 and am trying to get
my
> > pc ready and read that doing this before as well as occasionally, is a
> > good
> > idea. thanks
> >
> Are you referring to Disk Cleanup, part of System Tools or the standalone
> third party utility Disk Cleaner?

Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Azy" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message news:%23SdOVEgzEHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
Hi what exactly does the disk cleaner in windows do. SHould one run it often
and why? is it safe to do and is it necessary for all of us to do. How
often? please advise because I want to install sp2 and am trying to get my
pc ready and read that doing this before as well as occasionally, is a good
idea. thanks

Worthless program.

Try Disk Cleaner, it will Clean:
Temporary Internet Files {Including the contents of the Content.IE5 folder}
Internet Cookies
Internet History
System Temporary Folder
Recent Documents
Run... Dialog List
Find Document List
Find Computer List
URLs in IE Address Bar
URLs in Shell Address Bar
Media Player Recent URLs
WinZip Recent Files
WinZip Extract To Folders
Paint Recent Files
WordPad Recent Files
Cleans Recycle Bin (what else?)
Opera Cache
Opera Cookies
Opera History
Opera Visited links
Opera Download History and Download folder
Firefox Cache
Firefox Cookies
Firefox History

Disk Cleaner
http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:%23SdOVEgzEHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Azy <mr@mr.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi what exactly does the disk cleaner in windows do. SHould one run
> it often and why? is it safe to do and is it necessary for all of us
> to do. How often? please advise because I want to install sp2 and am
> trying to get my pc ready and read that doing this before as well as
> occasionally, is a good idea. thanks

TRENDING THREADS