Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

System failure, RAID0 involved, possibly data recovery?

Last response: in Storage
Share
September 28, 2006 9:20:48 PM

Im in a situation now where i might lose all my data, or have already, and hope you guys will be able to give me insight.

some background on machine:
Athlon 1700+XP CPU(overclocked for a good many years, damaged definetly, possibly destroyed)
Asus A7N266-E MB(via KT266A chipset, some burnage by the bios battery, batt non-functional)
ATI 9800PRO(non-issue)
2X Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE HD(these are wired in a RAID0 array, controlled by the mobo-promise)
40GB Fujitsu 7200RPM IDE HD (this drive is missing a pin, and is used only for emergencies, heh)
unknown 400W PSU (possibly damaged)
unknwon 450W PSU (possibly damaged)
3X256MB unknown DDR PC2400 RAM (no problems, that im aware of)
Unknown 8X CD-rom drive
4kg of grey and black dust (possibly alive)
100mm + 80mm fans
Creative SB Live!(!!!)
2X unknown PCI network adaptors

background on problem:

I goto sleep, computer stays on (routing), i wake up, computer is OFF with power light blinking. When I push the power button, the light turns off never to turn back on. At this time the computer is running on the 450W PSU, which replaced the orignal 400W-i presumed dead. After some tinkering(pointless) i decide to hook up the old PSU, it doesnt work until i remove my IDE CD-rom. After this, all is well for a couple of days, when all of a sudden during some righteous nazi hunting (DoD) the computer shuts off with power light blinking. At that moment i could smell a bit of burning, but i could not identify the source.

current situation:

Everything is outta the case and sitting in the open, fragile and naked. Sometimes when I go to turn it on, the fans turn on for the littlest of seconds. This is just enough for them to flinch, nothing more. I believe it might only happen when i unplug and reconnect the mobo power cable. I have decided to put together a new system, but my main concern is my data which is stored on the RAID array. My plan was to use the new PSU to backup all my data onto an external drive, and shut the machine off for good. Though I am begining to think that the problem is not my PSU, but rather my hurt CPU or my aging mobo.

question:

Is there a way to recover data from a RAID0 array without using the original controller? If not, is there any other way I can get my data!?


thanks for reading, ervan

PS: just FYI, my new system will be this...
Asus EN7600GT/2DHT/256MB/DDR3/PCI-E
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe NVIDIA Socket AM2
Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC6400
new case and 400w PSU
Lite-on SOHC-5236K CD-RW / 16x DVD-ROM
2X Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE HDs (with my original data of course ;) )
September 29, 2006 12:29:08 AM

It sounds like 2 dead Power Supplys to me, since you obviously don't have a P/S tester, do you have a friend willing to loan you their P/S long enough to save your important data?

Or have a local computer repair shop close by that would test the P/S for you.

Because

Quote:
question:

Is there a way to recover data from a RAID0 array without using the original controller? If not, is there any other way I can get my data!?



The answer to that question with a striped array is NO!

So you'll need to get that machine up and running to back up the necessary data to CD, or an external HDD.

The good thing is that as long as you haven't lost either of the RAID HDDs and can get the machine up and running again in its original configuration, you haven't lost the data [yet].
September 29, 2006 1:36:21 AM

Quote:
The answer to that question with a striped array is NO!

So you'll need to get that machine up and running to back up the necessary data to CD, or an external HDD.

The good thing is that as long as you haven't lost either of the RAID HDDs and can get the machine up and running again in its original configuration, you haven't lost the data [yet].


Not true. It might be possible since the disks aren't dead. I have moved disks from a dead system to a new system with a compatible controller without issue.

Locate the model of the Promise chip and contact them. You may be able to purchase a Promise controller and retrieve all data.
Related resources
September 29, 2006 9:20:31 PM

ive downloaded this program called raid reconstructor, posted in another thread, will this work?
September 30, 2006 6:27:15 AM

Have you yourself ever recovered data from a striped array?
October 5, 2006 8:11:03 PM

ack, new PSU, nothing besides the fans jolting...i've removed everything off the mobo, and removed from case. What are the min components required to get a response from the mobo?
October 5, 2006 10:57:42 PM

Best way to test as PSU is with a multimeter. Connect the green wire to black and measure all the voltages.

Some PSU's might have proglems with zero load, even though the ATX spec says they should be able to handle it. So connecitng an old hard drive or a fan or something to be safe.

You can kill a cheap PSU by connecting a device with a short. I repaired a PC that caught on fire after the Hard Drive developed a fault which shorted one of its power rails directly to ground.

Fortunately my PSU shut down imediately.

Point is test both PSU, if they are both really dead then something killed them and you are lucky the 3rd shut off before suffering the same fate.

I have a single 4 pin power brick I use to test devices in such circumstances.



---
Software tools exist that will reconstruct RAID 0 arrays by reading the data from the drives connected to a non-raid controller.

I never used them myself, but I hear they work as long as the drives are in good condition.


Your other option would be to connect the drives to a compatible raid controller. Good luck finding compatibility information, its hard to come by. However controllers using the same chipset are usually compatible. So if you MB has a Sil3112, then a PCI card with the same chip will likely work.

Sometimes you have to look at the filename of the driver to tell what chipset a cheap RAID card uses. Its not always well advertised.

In my opinion they need to pick one RAID standard and comply with it. But this way you end up locked into one vendor which is probably the way they like it.
October 19, 2006 9:33:14 AM

Quote:
Im in a situation now where i might lose all my data, or have already, and hope you guys will be able to give me insight.

some background on machine:
Athlon 1700+XP CPU(overclocked for a good many years, damaged definetly, possibly destroyed)
Asus A7N266-E MB(via KT266A chipset, some burnage by the bios battery, batt non-functional)
ATI 9800PRO(non-issue)
2X Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE HD(these are wired in a RAID0 array, controlled by the mobo-promise)
40GB Fujitsu 7200RPM IDE HD (this drive is missing a pin, and is used only for emergencies, heh)
unknown 400W PSU (possibly damaged)
unknwon 450W PSU (possibly damaged)
3X256MB unknown DDR PC2400 RAM (no problems, that im aware of)
Unknown 8X CD-rom drive
4kg of grey and black dust (possibly alive)
100mm + 80mm fans
Creative SB Live!(!!!)
2X unknown PCI network adaptors

background on problem:

I goto sleep, computer stays on (routing), i wake up, computer is OFF with power light blinking. When I push the power button, the light turns off never to turn back on. At this time the computer is running on the 450W PSU, which replaced the orignal 400W-i presumed dead. After some tinkering(pointless) i decide to hook up the old PSU, it doesnt work until i remove my IDE CD-rom. After this, all is well for a couple of days, when all of a sudden during some righteous nazi hunting (DoD) the computer shuts off with power light blinking. At that moment i could smell a bit of burning, but i could not identify the source.

current situation:

Everything is outta the case and sitting in the open, fragile and naked. Sometimes when I go to turn it on, the fans turn on for the littlest of seconds. This is just enough for them to flinch, nothing more. I believe it might only happen when i unplug and reconnect the mobo power cable. I have decided to put together a new system, but my main concern is my data which is stored on the RAID array. My plan was to use the new PSU to backup all my data onto an external drive, and shut the machine off for good. Though I am begining to think that the problem is not my PSU, but rather my hurt CPU or my aging mobo.

question:

Is there a way to recover data from a RAID0 array without using the original controller? If not, is there any other way I can get my data!?


thanks for reading, ervan

PS: just FYI, my new system will be this...
Asus EN7600GT/2DHT/256MB/DDR3/PCI-E
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ 2.0GHz
Asus M2N-SLI-Deluxe NVIDIA Socket AM2
Corsair TWINX Dual Channel 1024MB PC6400
new case and 400w PSU
Lite-on SOHC-5236K CD-RW / 16x DVD-ROM
2X Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM IDE HDs (with my original data of course ;) )


I don't have much idea of RAID Technolgy, but I can suggest you a data recovery company which recovers data from RAID Level.
All I can do is to give you the link and visit to find more information http://www.stellarinfo.com/data_recovery_services.htm
Hope they are going to help you & you get your lost data.
Best of Luck.
October 19, 2006 9:58:11 AM

An A7N266-E motherboard has an nVidia chipset, not a KT266A.

All Asus via Socket A chipsets are A7Vxxxx.

I'd concur with belvdr - find the RAID controller chipset and try to get a RAID card with one of them on it, then copy the data off.
January 21, 2009 8:40:07 PM

just an update, I WAS able to recover my data with some sorta RAID recontruction software used on non-RAID HDDs. Worked well, except it required me to borrow a 200gb external drive just to store the recovery image(160gb).
!