Gremalcon

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I have an ASUS P4S800D-X mainboard. It is set for 8x AGP, but only at 1.5v. It will not take 0.8 or anything else, just 1.5v. So please tell me: What card would give me the absolute best graphics for this mainboard? I kind of prefer nvidia. I want the best available within the restrictions of my mainboard. Thanks in advance for any help given.

cleeve

Illustrious
The 7600 GT and 7800 GS offer the best AGP performance. THey perform very closely, the only difference is the 7600 GT is $175 and the 7800 GS is $250

Unfortunately, the 7600 GT AGP is sold out everywhere at the moment...

The X850 XT in AGP can sometimes be found under $200, and it performs almost identically to the 7600 GT and 7800 GS, maybe even a bit faster at some things. But once again, really hard to find in stock for that price.

Gremalcon

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
But the important question is this: Are both of those cards 1.5v? If they are anything else, the mainboard will NOT recognize it.

Let me also state that even though I prefer nvidia, I have no problem using ati, if I can find a card that meets my needs. Please help me locate a card. I want the best I can get within the parameters I have already outlined.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Since I havent seen any voltage specs on any board I would say you should contact ATI or Nvida and the manufacturer about it. Specify your mobo model when you do.

pauldh

Illustrious
Where did you get the info that your mobo doesn't support the 0.8v signaling of AGP8X cards? I have never used that motherboard, but reguardless, I have a feeling you are going by the mobo manual stating AGP 1.5v only, which is refering to the 1.5V vs. 3.3V keying done on the AGP slot itself (to help prevent putting in the wrong card). AGP4X and 8X cards use the 1.5V key, while older AGP cards use the 3.3V key. Anyway, my gut feeling is any 4X/8X card will work in that mobo.

I'd email Asus and ask them if a 7800GS would work in your mobo. Or research it more, but a quick Google search of your mobo model and 7800GS, brought up a link of a guy listing them in his specs.
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124933

pauldh

Illustrious
Well, yes I am pretty sure it will work with any AGP 4X or 8X card. I hate to spend your money without being 100% certian(like I said, I never used that mobo), but I do feel it is referring to the 1.5V keying (AGP 3.0 standard) and that therefore it can't take 3.3V cards.

More AGP info:
http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_AGP.html
"AGP 8x: 533MHz clock, 32 bytes/clock, Bandwidth: 2.1GB/s [0.8V signal swing], still uses 1.5 volt motherboard power"

Note the last part of that quote above.

To sum it up, I'd feel safe ordering any AGP 8X card an popping it into that mobo, expecting it to work. But if you have doubts, please research your mobo and cards people are using on it, or just call/email Asus.

Gremalcon

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
I just received a reply from ASUS and they say 1.5 is what I have to use. No ifs ands or buts about it. That kind of sucks.

pauldh

Illustrious
Did you ask them if you could run a 7800GS, X850XT, 6800GT, etc? Reply back and ask for a list of AGP cards that will run in it. I think the techie you emailed read the same line in the manual that you read. :wink:

If by some remote chance this card can't use cards with .8v signaling, then the mobo doesn't support AGP 8X. Anyway, the AGP 8X cards are actually 4X/8X, so they work in 4X mode with 1.5v signalling. Again, just my opinion, but I say you are fine to buy any AGP 4X/8X card. If not forums and newegg reviews would be full of complaints about the mobo, which a little googling shows isn't the case.

For fun I googled the mobo model and a few high end AGP cards and they do get listed together in people specs. 7800GS, X850XT, 6800U, etc. They have to mean 1.5v keying and mobo power. (or no 3.3v)

TRENDING THREADS