Help picking a motherboard

Alias

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
For my first build (if it can be called that - 'first system I have any real functional knowledge of' might be more accurate).

I've been planning on getting a CONROE(e6600 or e6700) and a single Radeon x1950xtx, and using my current WDC WD1600JB-00GVA0 along with whatever HD I end-up buying. Other than that, I'm looking for Crossfire support and room for at-least four(preferably eight)GB RAM. Money is a concern, but my first priority is that the board be solid for a good while and as updatable as reasonably possible.

My knowledge on this subject really isn't very extentive; in addition to any recommendations, what features should I be looking for, and what do the specs stand for? Is there any advantage to having more than one PCIE E16 slot?
Also, if anyone could tell me roughly how much power I'd need innitialy or if I ever max-out(CROSSFIRE, ~4RAM) these options, I'd appreciate it.

Alias

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Two GB for now and room for another two or more if/when it ever becomes necessary.

I guess four is probably enough, I just wanted my options open (mainly for longetivity purposes).

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Couple things. You said you wanted "Crossfire support" but you ask if its better too have 2 PCI-E 16x slots.... :lol: :lol: I hope you pick up what I"m saying....

So XF support, multiple 16x slots are a must.

Look for something quality, 4 DIMM slots that way you can get 1GB modules... Other than that, its not to hard to narrow down.

As far as a PSU is concerned.....aim high. FSP, TT, Antec, OCZ, Enermax, Seasonic, Zippy, PC&P all make quality units.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
The Asus P5B Deluxe is one of the best XF, conroe, 4DIMMs motherboard. It will support quad-cores when the time comes and its getting BIOS revisions that are making it extremely overclockable.

I really like the OCZ GameXstream PSUs, but if modular is a must, then an Antec NeoHE would be the choice for you.

Alias

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
Couple things. You said you wanted "Crossfire support" but you ask if its better too have 2 PCI-E 16x slots.... :lol: :lol: I hope you pick up what I"m saying....

Yeah, I actually noticed that one after posting. :oops: Still, do any other components require that slot other than GCs?

The Asus P5B Deluxe is one of the best XF, conroe, 4DIMMs motherboard. It will support quad-cores when the time comes and its getting BIOS revisions that are making it extremely overclockable

I was looking at the PSB Deluxe, but it doesn't seem to support Crossfire. If I'm wrong, is there any sense in going for a P5W DH instead? Should I have any trouble fitting my current HD with either?

One final question, would sound quality be a concern with any of these boards?

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
P5W-DH deluxe, the only mobo you should be looking at. [H]OCP did an article on it, and they emphasized that it was one of the easiest mobo's to support Xfire. Also, the P5B deluxe only has 1 x16 PciE and and another PciE that will run at x8. It doesn't have 2 x16 like the P5W-DH.

Get the P5W, you'll be perfectly happy. Best Conroe mobo out there right now. Rather pricey, but its the best.

It can also support 8 gigs, but I doubt that will become an issue soon.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
P5W-DH deluxe, the only mobo you should be looking at. [H]OCP did an article on it, and they emphasized that it was one of the easiest mobo's to support Xfire. Also, the P5B deluxe only has 1 x16 PciE and and another PciE that will run at x8. It doesn't have 2 x16 like the P5W-DH.

Get the P5W, you'll be perfectly happy. Best Conroe mobo out there right now. Rather pricey, but its the best.

It can also support 8 gigs, but I doubt that will become an issue soon.

The P5B Deluxe has gotten BIOS revisions, Anandtech has covered this and itll support crossfire before you will be up for it, I can ensure that. The P5B Deluxe has unlocked multipliers now! :lol:

There is no real world improvement on having two lanes at x16. Gfx cards cant even fill them. 8x wont cut on on performance at all.