Great Experience with D-Link 634 MIMO

MRRiley

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
HI all! I've used the shortcut to these forums everytime I've had to make a semi-expensive computer purchase over the last several years and thought to make a point to share my great experience with this gear today. :D

Purchased the D-Link 634M router and a MIMO compatible wireless G650M card for my old X31 with 11.a only. I thought I'd be taking the card back after realizing that it's not much faster. Wrong-O! It apprears to be a keeper.

I got the 634 hooked up very easily with the installed CD rom and only gooned up one procedural element that took a bit for me to realize; I used the router CD on the laptop, following the directions on the installer, prior to loading the X31 with the G-650M drivers first. Oopps. :oops:

I think that doing that caused the two versions of Network Magic to be in conflict, preventing the X31 from getting a good connection. Easily resolved by deleating the first version installing the G-650M card drivers and software first then reloading and updating to V2 the Net Magic software. 8)

I realize this is kind of an expensive solution but I checked it out and have about 180 into it. The price of being an early adopter I guess. If it is as stable as it is straight forward to set up I'll be happy.

Now the tale of the tape - I could not find a spot that would not connect at an indicated 100MBPS any where in a 3100 sq ft hse. Spare room over the garage, no problems. Upstairs bathroom in the shower with doors closed, no probelms. Seems to be a great technology so far.

Oh, yeah...I had reduced the power on the router transmission to 50 percent! I'll try it at 25 percent in a few days. :twisted:

I am running a P4 2.4 clocked to 3 and it seems to be having no issues with that either. Best to all.

sc00bie

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2006
Hey MRRiley,

hows your router and card doing?

I had 2 of these and both failed within 4 days of ownership, the first didn't work on the wireless side from the outset.

Would be interested to hear from you
Cheers
sc00bie