Router reliability

PinballSorceror

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
Hey, I have a question for any and all networking gurus out there. I have a netgear 108g router, it seems on the nice-ish end to me. Anywho, every router I have ever owned; and I know this is common, will periodically need to be reset. It'll go for X number of days and then seem to lose the ability to serve the computer on it, or serve the cable modem, or both really. And then I unplug it and everything works fine for another X days. So I am wondering, is there something I have to configure to make the router retain the connection without the need for a manual reset? Or do I need to be finding a router with a certain kind of feature? Or is this a problem with the nature of cable modems and I will probably have to learn to deal with it.

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
I've experienced this problem with both cable and dsl. Have had it happen once in the past year on dsl. Before that, with cable modem, had it happen a few times within a few years time. I figure once a year average is enough to ignore for me.

edit: I've only used Linksys routers (can't comment on other brands.)

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
I ran into this too.
What I found, was that the loging funtion for activity and errors would use the ram up. I disabled all logs execpt errors, and it corrected my problem. I use SMC and USR's, and some Linksys. USR's have given me the best performace.