Sign in with
Your question

Best mobo for this processor...

Last response: in Overclocking
September 29, 2006 12:31:11 AM

I'm wanting to upgrade, and I'm not very computer savvy. The processor I want is:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core Processor
(2.4GHz, 2MB, 1GHz Bus, Socket 939 - MPN: ADA4800CDBOX)

My question is: What is the best motherboard that I can get to compliment this CPU? I really prefer MSI motherboards.

And a final question. Its stupid, but I would really appreciate it. What is SLI and what does it do?

More about : mobo processor

September 29, 2006 5:15:01 AM

Thanks for the definition on SLI. :D 
As for OC, I don't really have the aptitude for that. I was just wondering what a compatible motherboard would be for the affore mentioned processor. This is my current set up.

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
Motherboard Name MSI K8T Neo-FIS2R
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8383 Apollo K8T800, AMD Hammer
System Memory 2048 MB (DDR SDRAM)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra

I wanted to stick with MSI, since I've had no problems with it at all. What would be the best board to go with the affore mentioned CPU, in your opinion?
September 29, 2006 4:08:49 PM

Wow thanks for the link! Been looking for a while. One more question? You mentioned that the am2 socket was replacing the 939 socket. I've looked around at some CPU's with both sockets, and the price difference is a few hundred dollars. Is a couple hundred dollars really worth the socket difference? If not, I'd save a ton of money. If there is a big difference, what is it?
Thanks.
Related resources
September 29, 2006 4:16:52 PM

Thanks for your help. :) 
I've got a lot to think about.
September 29, 2006 4:46:21 PM

Would Dual Core make games that are very processor heavy, like Company of Heroes, run smoother?
September 29, 2006 5:13:31 PM

I've been looking at some nice mobo/cpu combos on pricewatch.com. I found an Anthlon 64 5000+ x2 dual core with an MSI mobo at roughly $600: http://www.pricewatch.com/motherboard_combos/992225-1.htm Now, thats with no upgrades. I played with some options and changed the Athlon 5000+ to a 4600+ x2 dual core, with 2 sticks of DDR2 for the same price. What would be better? The 5000+ with no sticks, or the 4600+ with 2? And is there a big difference in performance between the two CPUs without upgrades to either one?
October 1, 2006 2:29:18 AM

Hey, thanks for all your help. 8) I wanted to let you know what I eventually came out with. I got an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU, and an ASUS P5NSLI mobo. Can't wait to plug all this crap in, and thanks for guiding me in the right direction!
October 3, 2006 9:46:50 PM

I dont know why you would buy a new AMD processor...

I love AMD, and hope they comeback into the running, but they are getting creamed. Glad someone is going to buy there processor, maybe they will have enough money to develop something worth buying...

Mike
October 3, 2006 10:23:25 PM

I'm back, with a few more questions! I talked to a knowledgable pc person about installing the new mobo/cpu. He said, given my specifications, all i had to do is install the hardware, then boot up Windows XP to reinstall it. I'm also aware that you have to delete the old BIOS/Drivers. Thats what I'm curious about...when do I do that? Do I delete them after installation of Windows XP? And how do I delete them?
Thanks.
October 3, 2006 10:58:12 PM

My current mobo/cpu is an MSI/Athlon set up. I was told that I had to delete the BIOS since I'm switching to a completely different set up, ie. the ASUS/Intel Core 2. Would choosing Install delete the BIOS? I guess what I'm concerned about is the old BIOS/Drivers trying to interact with my new components and screwing them up.
October 3, 2006 11:14:23 PM

Ok. I was reading through the manual, and one of the ways to update BIOS is in a windows environment via internet. I guess I could do it that way.
October 3, 2006 11:30:34 PM

My board has something called Crash Free BIOS 2, which supposedely lets you restore the original BIOS data from the support CD in case the BIOS codes and data are corrupted. I only reffered to a Windows update because it was a given option in the manual :) 
October 3, 2006 11:40:21 PM

Stop scaring me. :( 
October 3, 2006 11:40:53 PM

Quote:
I'm wanting to upgrade, and I'm not very computer savvy. The processor I want is:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Dual-Core Processor
(2.4GHz, 2MB, 1GHz Bus, Socket 939 - MPN: ADA4800CDBOX)

My question is: What is the best motherboard that I can get to compliment this CPU? I really prefer MSI motherboards.

And a final question. Its stupid, but I would really appreciate it. What is SLI and what does it do?

The best moboard for you is ASUS P5W Deluxe because the processor you want is a C2D E6600. All else is madness. Now shoo, not another word till you're back from NewEgg with a maximized credit card.
October 3, 2006 11:54:42 PM

Ok, I'll do that. Thanks. 8)
!