How many people have unfinished computers laying around?

jimytheassassin

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2006
I've always felt like my computer has never been finished. I started buying piecemeal and upgraded here and there. But I guess the excitement wore off and I just learned to deal with.. good enough

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I could build about 10 pc's if I still had cases for the stuff... at my fathers place...

He works at Xerox... and he often talks to the IT guys... who toss out computers, monitors, etc... Since hes an EE, he use to repair the monitors (before LCD's) and grab the good parts out of them.

Hes a bit of a pack rat, so we have bins and bins of parts... Man, I have my first 4 GIG HD still... and you know what... IT RUNS!

but thats back when they made HD's that dont die every year...

as far as me... I build a good machine... then later add parts... Like I want a few TV tunners so that I can do TV recording:)

Robovski

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
The Wife(tm) had me dispose of the approximately 3 old machines we had cluttering up the house. It's not that they weren't finished - they were "finished" in that they didn't have a purpose anymore other than being spare parts. Kinda like having a few cars on blocks about...

They eventually became 1 OK system for the internet and home office for free to the mother-in-law's neighbor who was a real pain about getting free stuff (not doing that again). The remnants of the other 2 that were left frankly became landfil, as much as that irks me, same for 2 old CRTs. Charities here wouldn't take them, and it's not like I know a lot of people who want low-end computers on the cheap or a pack-rat geek friend who lives in my area (back in Chicago I know several people with whole basements/flats full of scavenged stuff).

I expect I'll have a relatively early HP P4 sitting around doing nothing soon (The Wife's current machine), I think I might try to turn it into some kind of media server - so that would be in bits until the "right part came along".

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
My father Runs 4 computers

1) Laptop
2) Server
3) His computer
4) My Moms computer, that plugs into her Sewing Machine! Yes, thats right... you put some fabric in this frame... put it in the machine, load a picture off the internet... walk away... come back, switch threads... walk away... etc... When your done... you have a picture of a dog taking a poop on your favorite T-Shirt.

If you think im pulling your leg, this time Im not.... I can show you where to buy these Sewing Machines... there like 5 grand...

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
My unfinished computers:

Compaq Deskpro 4000N: My family's first computer, way back when I was in highschool: Pentium 233MMX, 32mb ram, .....parted it out and never finished putting it back together. Needs a new mobo battery, an optical drive, floppy drive, etc. Basically too old, but hey, it's the first computer, so there's nostalgia value. It's been about 2 years since it last ran.

Foxconn E-bot: My silent mini PC project. Still need to passively cool powersupply. Been 9 months, but I'm making progress.

Dell Dimension XPS r450: Needs DVD drive and software, and probably more ram. I've had it for a few months now.