Core 2 Quad prices

mrmjs

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Any guesses on what these bad boys will cost? I'd like to build a new gaming rig but if the price is gonna be insane I'll go with Core 2 Duo

evilr00t

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Only highly multithreaded games would benefit from quad core. Most current games will benefit from dual cores, but don't even fully utilize the second core; adding more cores won't help.

Multiple processing benefits development, servers, databases, video editing etc. not games. Unless the game makes use of multiple processing. Even then they have to be programmed to handle 4 threads at a time instead of 2.

You have to understand the more processors you try to program for the more complicated and expensive it is to develop. Thats why games arn't multi-threaded. They don't need to be multi-threaded.

Why wouldn't they? I mean 4 cores beats 2 doesn't it?

U238

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
I'm curious of the price as well..
Will they slot it into the same price spot as the current X6800? Or will they tack on a couple hundred dollars more.

I'm planning on building a new box around the new year. It has been almost 4 years since my last computer. I'm the type that I buy top of the line (or near top) so that I can hopefully get a long life out of a computer. I know a lot of people say quad core isn't useful for today's gamer. But what about 18-24 months from now?

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Judging by the way both AMD and Intel are pricing their chips lately, I would expect a, say, 2.6GHz C2Q to launch well over $1000 and drop to around $750 within a few months. But my crystal ball is a bit cloudy, so don't bank on it! :D

1KGH

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Intel is having some troubles on the financial side, several disappointing quarters. I would say Intel is banking on Core 2 Dual & Core 2 Quad to turn things around. Hasn't Intel said they will have a million quad core sold before AMD sells one? This should make prices very competitive.

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Quad core is a waste of money for gamers, so far there is only one game that uses all 4cores on a quad core, that is Alan Wake a vista only game. But it will work just fine on a dual core, but isnt compatible with single cores (unless using a p4 w/ hyperthreading with minimal gameplay experience)

Maybe within 2 years games will come out that utilize 4 cores entirely but why purchase one now? By the time games finally take advantage of a quad core there will be some really nice quad cores on the market that will put todays quad cores to shame. Not to mention ddr3 will be out by then for mobo's along with the pcie bandwidth increase.

Although there havn't been that many details released about Battlefield: Bad Company, considering the fact that 90% of each of the levels will be fully destructable, I'm guessing this game may take advantage of quad core, just an early prediction.