Unhealthy temps for Core 2 Cpus

weilin

Distinguished
this has probably been asked before but i couldn't find it, whats the highest temp Core 2 Duo chips can hit before they start to throttle, my cpu idles at like 50 and hits close to 70 under load. I can't imagine that being healthy. Numbers from Intel TAT which loosely corrobrates with what the bios monitor says (well for idle anyways).

thetanman

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
yeah, you need to reset your hink sink and evaluate your case cooling. These are made to run much cooler. My E6600 idles at 27 or so, under load ~40, w/ stock cooler.

weilin

Distinguished
reseated the thing like 20 times already (a full 2.5g of AS5 is almost gone..) Its still high. TAT and Bios differ by 10 degrees. 40C in bios and 50C in TAT for idle.

kukito

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
I had the same problem. The stock heatsink is crap. Intel should issue a recall. With my new cooler the idle temps are around 29-30 C and load around 37-38 C. This is an E6600 @ stock speed, 2.4 GHz. I had many problems getting the Intel heatsink to seat properly but the Cooler Master snapped right into place with no effort whatsoever.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I had the same problem. The stock heatsink is crap. Intel should issue a recall. With my new cooler the idle temps are around 29-30 C and load around 37-38 C. This is an E6600 @ stock speed, 2.4 GHz. I had many problems getting the Intel heatsink to seat properly but the Cooler Master snapped right into place with no effort whatsoever.

Hardly. I am getting 24-29 idle and 29-38 (on die) using the stock HSF, depending on whether I have "Q fan" on or off. Most likely you improperly seated you HSF, the correctly seated the new one and incorrectly assumed the stock HSF was crap

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Hardly. I am getting 24-29 idle and 29-38 (on die) using the stock HSF, depending on whether I have "Q fan" on or off. Most likely you improperly seated you HSF, the correctly seated the new one and incorrectly assumed the stock HSF was crap

It certainly would appear that the install of the stock HSF is causing many people headaches, I only glanced at the stock HSF and though did not try to use it.

Jack

Yes, though I dont know why. I thought it was significantly easier to install the Intel HSF than the HSF's for the AthlonXPs. 24# force on the HSF (per AMD spec to be "qualified" by AMD) and a stupid little screwdriver catch to "lever" the retainer on to the sockets hooks. At times very difficult with caps in the way. Depending on the mobo and HSF manufacture of course.

I guess it comes down to----reading the instructions

weilin

Distinguished
all i have to say is that if i cant get the stupid heatsink on right after 20 tries... i dont think i deserve to have a Core 2 Duo. It definately looks like its installed right. could it be a screwed up diode? Should i try a 3rd party cooler? I can spend up to 40 bucks on one.

redraider_gamer

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
Check the Intel site and most of the OC-ing sites, and you will find idel temps around 38c - 43c and full load around 48c - 53c. The Intel specs are listed here:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31327802.pdf

See chapter 5. It clearly shows that you should never get above 60.1c

If your getting above 53c, reseat the HSF or get a better one. Check out the "sticky" in the Overclocking CPU forum here on TG. The writer put together a great list of HSF for use with the Core 2.

Also, check different temp programs. The baords seem to make a difference. The Asus ones seem to run low. The Gigabyte high. The Intel D975XBX runs right where they say it should. Go figure.

Bottom line: Don't worry, the chip will shut down long before it bursts into flames. If it's not slowing down, you really shouldn't worry.

My Rig:
Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for Now)
Intel D975XBXLRK
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
74GB 10k Raptor
ATI X1900XTX
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD OEM Burners (x2)
Ultra X-Finity 600w SLi Certified PS
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Check the Intel site and most of the OC-ing sites, and you will find idel temps around 38c - 43c and full load around 48c - 53c. The Intel specs are listed here:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/31327802.pdf

See chapter 5. It clearly shows that you should never get above 60.1c

If your getting above 53c, reseat the HSF or get a better one. Check out the "sticky" in the Overclocking CPU forum here on TG. The writer put together a great list of HSF for use with the Core 2.

Also, check different temp programs. The baords seem to make a difference. The Asus ones seem to run low. The Gigabyte high. The Intel D975XBX runs right where they say it should. Go figure.

Bottom line: Don't worry, the chip will shut down long before it bursts into flames. If it's not slowing down, you really shouldn't worry.

My Rig:
Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for Now)
Intel D975XBXLRK
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
74GB 10k Raptor
ATI X1900XTX
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD OEM Burners (x2)
Ultra X-Finity 600w SLi Certified PS
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case

PCProbe does not run "low"

PCProbe, MBM5, Hmon 4.2 and apparently speedfan (temp "2") all measure on die temps
TAT and CoreTemp mesure in die or actaul core temps at TM2

(Wusy prolly gets pissed every time I refer to them as on die and in die)

In any case, you should expect to see idle temps anywhere from 23 to 34 using PCProbe, MBM5, Hmon 4.2
Idle temps from 34 to 48 using Core Temp or TAT seem to be fairly common.

Loaded temps should read 34 to 50 using PCProbe, MBM5, Hmon 4.2
Loaded temps of 44 -58 using Core Temp or TAT seem to be the norm.

This is assuming you have properly installed the HSF.

Most of these variances in temp ranges (assuming the program your running is not experiancing some form of interference) seem to be due to differences in case design/cooling airflow thru the case.

The lowest TAT idle temps Ive seen to date are from Jumping Jack using one of the thermaltake "armour" cases with the 25cm fan on the cpu side of the case.

The biggest problem with temps (aside from not getting the HSF on corectly) is due to people not knowing what the normal ranges are for the program they are using. They use Core Temp or TAT expecting to see idle temps in the 20s and loads in the 30s. Not gonna happen

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I'll never use stock. It's just like using a p.o.s. while you hold out for something better. It's kinda like using the stereo a car comes with (I don't care if its Bose, it still sounds like crap), I would much rather rip it out and throw in an Alpine with some Infinity speakers, perhaps a Rockford or Kicker sub. The difference is clear, kinda like Visine.

weilin

Distinguished
agreed, i just saw a new article on how to apply AS5 to core duo cpus. Will try that again... tomorrow. see if making a line instead of a dot will make it better. I wanna overclock but i dont want to be able to cook breakfast on my cpu in the morning...

weilin

Distinguished
woa.. so you're saying that they are measuring two different temperatures?... that could be why. the bios says 40c and TAT says 50C. I guess that would make sense. never thought of it that way, though 40c is still a tad high

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
woa.. so you're saying that they are measuring two different temperatures?... that could be why. the bios says 40c and TAT says 50C. I guess that would make sense. never thought of it that way, though 40c is still a tad high

Yes. Try running hmon4.2 or speedfan (temp #2), you should see what your BIOS is showing, however if your seeing 50(TAT) at idle, that still is a bit high.

If you've reseated you HSF several times and youre sure it is seated well but you are still seeing (TAT) at idle, check your case flow. Try running the macjine with the covers off the case and see what happens to your temps.

Your sig shows 3 120mm fans. Are they all mounted on the same face (i.e back) and are you running them in parallel or in series? i.i all are 'sucking' or 2 'suck, 1 'blows', vice versa?

weilin

Distinguished
um lets give this a try...

the front fan is right in front of the hds. The second fan is in the case itself behind hte hds so that air moves over them. Last fan is in the back near cpu. All fans blowing one way. Antec Smartpower 2.0 psu fan too. in short 1 in front 1 in back 1 in the middle ot help hte air move along (i filled up all my hds cages)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
um lets give this a try...

the front fan is right in front of the hds. The second fan is in the case itself behind hte hds so that air moves over them. Last fan is in the back near cpu. All fans blowing one way. Antec Smartpower 2.0 psu fan too. in short 1 in front 1 in back 1 in the middle ot help hte air move along (i filled up all my hds cages)

All blowing one way...out?

Try taking temps with side of case off

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
sure ill give that a try.. front fan sucking air in, back fan blowing air out. 3rd fan blowing air from hd towards the graphics card/cpu.

Ok, your fans are in series, thats good.

Standard stuff: No cables around HSF fan, round cables vs "tapes" etc etc. I assume youve done all that.

weilin

Distinguished
case side off. no difference.. those 120s r LOUD.. 120v (modded). nope everything's SATA all cables zip tied to the sides of hte cases.. u wouldnt be able to find a wire out of place.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
Most likely you improperly seated you HSF, the correctly seated the new one and incorrectly assumed the stock HSF was crap

Maybe if I had been the only one with problems.

Lots of people have mis-seated their HSFs

Lots of people have got bound up because their bios and/or pcprobe (asus) have shown temps different than TAT or CoreTemp

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
case side off. no difference.. those 120s r LOUD.. 120v (modded). nope everything's SATA all cables zip tied to the sides of hte cases.. u wouldnt be able to find a wire out of place.

When you put the HSF on, was the mobo/CPU in the case or out?

Did you use the stock themal grease? I assume you removed the protective covering from the HSF

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
agreed, i just saw a new article on how to apply AS5 to core duo cpus. Will try that again... tomorrow. see if making a line instead of a dot will make it better. I wanna overclock but i dont want to be able to cook breakfast on my cpu in the morning...

I went through 3 HS, with multiple installs, using my tried and true " dirty haze" method of applying the AS5, but after my last effort with a heavy paper thickness of AS5, my temps are 10c less.

Go figure, even the experienced learn something new!

38c idle 48c load, 22 ambient, and a x1900xtx furnace in the case.

TT tsunami with 2 120s, 1 80 side fan, etc.

OC using ASUS suite to ~3 from the 2.4 stock, and temps on load(prime 95) steady at 55c.

Using asus probe, coretemp and tat to verify, all are +/-1.

AntiHax0r

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2005
Not replying to anyone specific.. but some problems overlooked can be at first inadequate airflow within the case = bad temps

another thing is that .. if you can touch the HSF @ the stated 70C then.. its not 70C

afraga

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Hey,

I had the same problem as you. It all came down to the HSF not being properly installed. I bet 99% of ppl are the same.
The thing is that the HSF doesn't really let you know when it is not fully seated.

Try this and I bet you it will be fixed:
Take your mobo out, take the HSF out and put it back in.
When pressing it down to click, look under the motherboard and make sure you see BLACK pins coming out in between the 2 transparent pins. You need the black pins to go as far as the transparant pins. It will require some brute force, and that's why a lot of ppl are having problems...because you really have to push it hard until the end.
After you have all the 4 black pins leveled with their respective transparent pins, put the mobo back in the case and temps will be normal. I can almost guarantee you that!

Hope it helps!