Sign in with
Your question

Unhealthy temps for Core 2 Cpus

Last response: in CPUs
September 29, 2006 1:59:06 AM

this has probably been asked before but i couldn't find it, whats the highest temp Core 2 Duo chips can hit before they start to throttle, my cpu idles at like 50 and hits close to 70 under load. I can't imagine that being healthy. Numbers from Intel TAT which loosely corrobrates with what the bios monitor says (well for idle anyways).
September 29, 2006 3:50:21 AM

yeah, you need to reset your hink sink and evaluate your case cooling. These are made to run much cooler. My E6600 idles at 27 or so, under load ~40, w/ stock cooler.
September 30, 2006 12:12:57 AM

reseated the thing like 20 times already (a full 2.5g of AS5 is almost gone..) Its still high. TAT and Bios differ by 10 degrees. 40C in bios and 50C in TAT for idle.
Related resources
September 30, 2006 12:41:57 AM

I had the same problem. The stock heatsink is crap. Intel should issue a recall. With my new cooler the idle temps are around 29-30 C and load around 37-38 C. This is an E6600 @ stock speed, 2.4 GHz. I had many problems getting the Intel heatsink to seat properly but the Cooler Master snapped right into place with no effort whatsoever.
September 30, 2006 1:01:40 AM

Quote:
I had the same problem. The stock heatsink is crap. Intel should issue a recall. With my new cooler the idle temps are around 29-30 C and load around 37-38 C. This is an E6600 @ stock speed, 2.4 GHz. I had many problems getting the Intel heatsink to seat properly but the Cooler Master snapped right into place with no effort whatsoever.

Hardly. I am getting 24-29 idle and 29-38 (on die) using the stock HSF, depending on whether I have "Q fan" on or off. Most likely you improperly seated you HSF, the correctly seated the new one and incorrectly assumed the stock HSF was crap
September 30, 2006 1:12:02 AM

Quote:

Hardly. I am getting 24-29 idle and 29-38 (on die) using the stock HSF, depending on whether I have "Q fan" on or off. Most likely you improperly seated you HSF, the correctly seated the new one and incorrectly assumed the stock HSF was crap

It certainly would appear that the install of the stock HSF is causing many people headaches, I only glanced at the stock HSF and though did not try to use it.

Jack

Yes, though I dont know why. I thought it was significantly easier to install the Intel HSF than the HSF's for the AthlonXPs. 24# force on the HSF (per AMD spec to be "qualified" by AMD) and a stupid little screwdriver catch to "lever" the retainer on to the sockets hooks. At times very difficult with caps in the way. Depending on the mobo and HSF manufacture of course.

I guess it comes down to----reading the instructions
September 30, 2006 1:13:02 AM

all i have to say is that if i cant get the stupid heatsink on right after 20 tries... i dont think i deserve to have a Core 2 Duo. It definately looks like its installed right. could it be a screwed up diode? Should i try a 3rd party cooler? I can spend up to 40 bucks on one.
September 30, 2006 1:13:44 AM

Check the Intel site and most of the OC-ing sites, and you will find idel temps around 38c - 43c and full load around 48c - 53c. The Intel specs are listed here:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/3132...

See chapter 5. It clearly shows that you should never get above 60.1c

If your getting above 53c, reseat the HSF or get a better one. Check out the "sticky" in the Overclocking CPU forum here on TG. The writer put together a great list of HSF for use with the Core 2.

Also, check different temp programs. The baords seem to make a difference. The Asus ones seem to run low. The Gigabyte high. The Intel D975XBX runs right where they say it should. Go figure.

Bottom line: Don't worry, the chip will shut down long before it bursts into flames. If it's not slowing down, you really shouldn't worry.

My Rig:
Core 2 Duo X6800 Conroe (Stock Clock for Now)
Intel D975XBXLRK
Thermaltake Big Typhoon HSF
2 GB Corsair Pro PC6400 4-4-4-15
74GB 10k Raptor
ATI X1900XTX
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD OEM Burners (x2)
Ultra X-Finity 600w SLi Certified PS
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case
September 30, 2006 1:35:08 AM

Quote:
Check the Intel site and most of the OC-ing sites, and you will find idel temps around 38c - 43c and full load around 48c - 53c. The Intel specs are listed here:

If your getting above 53c, reseat the HSF or get a better one. Check out the "sticky" in the Overclocking CPU forum here on TG. The writer put together a great list of HSF for use with the Core 2.

Also, check different temp programs. The baords seem to make a difference. The Asus ones seem to run low. The Gigabyte high. The Intel D975XBX runs right where they say it should. Go figure.

Bottom line: Don't worry, the chip will shut down long before it bursts into flames. If it's not slowing down, you really shouldn't worry.

My Rig:
Intel D975XBXLRK
74GB 10k Raptor
ATI X1900XTX
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD OEM Burners (x2)
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case

PCProbe does not run "low"

PCProbe, MBM5, Hmon 4.2 and apparently speedfan (temp "2") all measure on die temps
TAT and CoreTemp mesure in die or actaul core temps at TM2

(Wusy prolly gets pissed every time I refer to them as on die and in die)

In any case, you should expect to see idle temps anywhere from 23 to 34 using PCProbe, MBM5, Hmon 4.2
Idle temps from 34 to 48 using Core Temp or TAT seem to be fairly common.

Loaded temps should read 34 to 50 using PCProbe, MBM5, Hmon 4.2
Loaded temps of 44 -58 using Core Temp or TAT seem to be the norm.

This is assuming you have properly installed the HSF.

Most of these variances in temp ranges (assuming the program your running is not experiancing some form of interference) seem to be due to differences in case design/cooling airflow thru the case.

The lowest TAT idle temps Ive seen to date are from Jumping Jack using one of the thermaltake "armour" cases with the 25cm fan on the cpu side of the case.

The biggest problem with temps (aside from not getting the HSF on corectly) is due to people not knowing what the normal ranges are for the program they are using. They use Core Temp or TAT expecting to see idle temps in the 20s and loads in the 30s. Not gonna happen
September 30, 2006 1:44:07 AM

I'll never use stock. It's just like using a p.o.s. while you hold out for something better. It's kinda like using the stereo a car comes with (I don't care if its Bose, it still sounds like crap), I would much rather rip it out and throw in an Alpine with some Infinity speakers, perhaps a Rockford or Kicker sub. The difference is clear, kinda like Visine.
September 30, 2006 2:11:01 AM

agreed, i just saw a new article on how to apply AS5 to core duo cpus. Will try that again... tomorrow. see if making a line instead of a dot will make it better. I wanna overclock but i dont want to be able to cook breakfast on my cpu in the morning...
September 30, 2006 2:12:46 AM

woa.. so you're saying that they are measuring two different temperatures?... that could be why. the bios says 40c and TAT says 50C. I guess that would make sense. never thought of it that way, though 40c is still a tad high
September 30, 2006 2:29:31 AM

Quote:
woa.. so you're saying that they are measuring two different temperatures?... that could be why. the bios says 40c and TAT says 50C. I guess that would make sense. never thought of it that way, though 40c is still a tad high

Yes. Try running hmon4.2 or speedfan (temp #2), you should see what your BIOS is showing, however if your seeing 50(TAT) at idle, that still is a bit high.

If you've reseated you HSF several times and youre sure it is seated well but you are still seeing (TAT) at idle, check your case flow. Try running the macjine with the covers off the case and see what happens to your temps.

Your sig shows 3 120mm fans. Are they all mounted on the same face (i.e back) and are you running them in parallel or in series? i.i all are 'sucking' or 2 'suck, 1 'blows', vice versa?
September 30, 2006 2:35:30 AM

hey where did you read the instructions on applying AS5 to the core2Duo's?? thanks.
September 30, 2006 2:36:37 AM

um lets give this a try...

the front fan is right in front of the hds. The second fan is in the case itself behind hte hds so that air moves over them. Last fan is in the back near cpu. All fans blowing one way. Antec Smartpower 2.0 psu fan too. in short 1 in front 1 in back 1 in the middle ot help hte air move along (i filled up all my hds cages)
September 30, 2006 2:47:05 AM

Quote:
um lets give this a try...

the front fan is right in front of the hds. The second fan is in the case itself behind hte hds so that air moves over them. Last fan is in the back near cpu. All fans blowing one way. Antec Smartpower 2.0 psu fan too. in short 1 in front 1 in back 1 in the middle ot help hte air move along (i filled up all my hds cages)

All blowing one way...out?

Try taking temps with side of case off
September 30, 2006 3:02:45 AM

sure ill give that a try.. front fan sucking air in, back fan blowing air out. 3rd fan blowing air from hd towards the graphics card/cpu.
September 30, 2006 3:08:14 AM

Quote:
sure ill give that a try.. front fan sucking air in, back fan blowing air out. 3rd fan blowing air from hd towards the graphics card/cpu.

Ok, your fans are in series, thats good.

Standard stuff: No cables around HSF fan, round cables vs "tapes" etc etc. I assume youve done all that.
September 30, 2006 3:11:34 AM

case side off. no difference.. those 120s r LOUD.. 120v (modded). nope everything's SATA all cables zip tied to the sides of hte cases.. u wouldnt be able to find a wire out of place.
September 30, 2006 3:20:25 AM

Quote:
Most likely you improperly seated you HSF, the correctly seated the new one and incorrectly assumed the stock HSF was crap

Maybe if I had been the only one with problems.
September 30, 2006 3:24:26 AM

Quote:
Most likely you improperly seated you HSF, the correctly seated the new one and incorrectly assumed the stock HSF was crap

Maybe if I had been the only one with problems.

Lots of people have mis-seated their HSFs

Lots of people have got bound up because their bios and/or pcprobe (asus) have shown temps different than TAT or CoreTemp
September 30, 2006 3:27:31 AM

Quote:
case side off. no difference.. those 120s r LOUD.. 120v (modded). nope everything's SATA all cables zip tied to the sides of hte cases.. u wouldnt be able to find a wire out of place.

When you put the HSF on, was the mobo/CPU in the case or out?

Did you use the stock themal grease? I assume you removed the protective covering from the HSF
September 30, 2006 3:39:33 AM

Quote:
agreed, i just saw a new article on how to apply AS5 to core duo cpus. Will try that again... tomorrow. see if making a line instead of a dot will make it better. I wanna overclock but i dont want to be able to cook breakfast on my cpu in the morning...

I went through 3 HS, with multiple installs, using my tried and true " dirty haze" method of applying the AS5, but after my last effort with a heavy paper thickness of AS5, my temps are 10c less.

Go figure, even the experienced learn something new!

38c idle 48c load, 22 ambient, and a x1900xtx furnace in the case.

TT tsunami with 2 120s, 1 80 side fan, etc.

OC using ASUS suite to ~3 from the 2.4 stock, and temps on load(prime 95) steady at 55c.

Using asus probe, coretemp and tat to verify, all are +/-1.
September 30, 2006 4:09:33 AM

Not replying to anyone specific.. but some problems overlooked can be at first inadequate airflow within the case = bad temps

another thing is that .. if you can touch the HSF @ the stated 70C then.. its not 70C
September 30, 2006 4:25:48 AM

Hey,

I had the same problem as you. It all came down to the HSF not being properly installed. I bet 99% of ppl are the same.
The thing is that the HSF doesn't really let you know when it is not fully seated.

Try this and I bet you it will be fixed:
Take your mobo out, take the HSF out and put it back in.
When pressing it down to click, look under the motherboard and make sure you see BLACK pins coming out in between the 2 transparent pins. You need the black pins to go as far as the transparant pins. It will require some brute force, and that's why a lot of ppl are having problems...because you really have to push it hard until the end.
After you have all the 4 black pins leveled with their respective transparent pins, put the mobo back in the case and temps will be normal. I can almost guarantee you that!

Hope it helps!
September 30, 2006 4:39:24 AM

Guy,

Settle down I have a x1900xts and yes your temp are to high but making these false claims is out of order. At full load temp should be around 55C using Intel Thermal Analysis tool... Idle around 30-35C.

E6600

1. Use this tool, lets be on the same page.

2. Check your work

3. post results, we can figure this out.
September 30, 2006 7:07:05 AM

As usual, I forgot one of the simplest problems.

Do you have any CPU HSF speed controls in your BIOS turned off?

In the newer asus boards its "Q Fan". Turning it off reduced my idle temps by 10'C and loaded temps by 8'C
September 30, 2006 9:07:17 AM

Quote:
PCProbe, MBM5, Hmon 4.2 and apparently speedfan (temp "2") all measure on die temps

Ok, this brings me to a longstanding beef with Speedfan. What the #$%& are those temps referring to? I thought Temp 1 was CPU die. Which one is it? Can anyone clear this up for me???

:?
a c 80 à CPUs
September 30, 2006 10:35:17 AM

Quote:

Ok, this brings me to a longstanding beef with Speedfan. What the #$%& are those temps referring to? I thought Temp 1 was CPU die. Which one is it? Can anyone clear this up for me???

:?

For me with speedfan Temp1 is Mobo and Temp2 is CPU package, as opposed to Die temp.

If you look on everest sensors(bottom middle of image), you'll see three CPU temps, 2x cpu die (tm2 I believe) and 1 x cpu package (I think from under the package as a whole or similar) The 2 x Cpu die correspond to TAT, most other sensors are reading the cpu package which responds a lot slower and tends to peak lower too in my experience.

September 30, 2006 12:00:03 PM

This is the reason I don't generally use Everest. The Sensor results have never made sense to me. SpeedFan was reading 54C at the same instant. I know why they call it Everest. Those are the results you'd get running your rig atop that mountain! :D 

a c 80 à CPUs
September 30, 2006 12:33:06 PM

Quote:
This is the reason I don't generally use Everest. The Sensor results have never made sense to me. SpeedFan was reading 54C at the same instant. I know why they call it Everest. Those are the results you'd get running your rig atop that mountain! :D 

Yep, that don't look right. I think it either picks up the right sensor and works or it doesn't nad gives you garbage, on mine its got the psu and cpu fans speeds switched round.
September 30, 2006 1:32:35 PM

Quote:
Yep, that don't look right. I think it either picks up the right sensor and works or it doesn't nad gives you garbage, on mine its got the psu and cpu fans speeds switched round.

Yeah, I think on my rig it's definitely givin' me garbage. I tend to think that my Speedfan sensor 1, the one that shows on the system tray is the accurate one. It always runs about 17C or so cooler than the BIOS temp though!
a c 80 à CPUs
September 30, 2006 1:34:01 PM

what does TAT show you (intel thermal analysis tool?)
September 30, 2006 1:53:04 PM

Quote:

TAT is very helpful...

What was that about the mother not recognizing it's offspring??? :D 
September 30, 2006 2:04:53 PM

everything was outside when i put the cooler on. I have a habit of setting up a pc on a phone book and install windows on it before i put it into the case. If i need to RMA, it just makes my life easier. Oh and its AS5 now. ive reseated the stupid thing 20 times already so the stock grease was a gonner 2 weeks ago.

Edit: Intel fan controller is on, gonna disable it now and see if its any better. Never thought of that...
September 30, 2006 2:06:38 PM

Quote:

My Rig:
Intel D975XBXLRK
74GB 10k Raptor
ATI X1900XTX
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD OEM Burners (x2)
Gigabyte 3D Aurora Case

PCProbe does not run "low"

TAT and CoreTemp mesure in die or actaul core temps at TM2

(Wusy prolly gets pissed every time I refer to them as on die and in die)

In any case, you should expect to see idle temps anywhere from 23 to 34 using PCProbe, MBM5, Hmon 4.2
Idle temps from 34 to 48 using Core Temp or TAT seem to be fairly common.

Loaded temps should read 34 to 50 using PCProbe, MBM5, Hmon 4.2
Loaded temps of 44 -58 using Core Temp or TAT seem to be the norm.

This is assuming you have properly installed the HSF.

Most of these variances in temp ranges (assuming the program your running is not experiancing some form of interference) seem to be due to differences in case design/cooling airflow thru the case.

The lowest TAT idle temps Ive seen to date are from Jumping Jack using one of the thermaltake "armour" cases with the 25cm fan on the cpu side of the case.

The biggest problem with temps (aside from not getting the HSF on corectly) is due to people not knowing what the normal ranges are for the program they are using. They use Core Temp or TAT expecting to see idle temps in the 20s and loads in the 30s. Not gonna happen

Damn, that's well put! Someone make this a sticky so we can all quit answering questions about Core 2 Temps!
a c 80 à CPUs
September 30, 2006 2:31:32 PM

Quote:

TAT is very helpful...

What was that about the mother not recognizing it's offspring??? :D 

I give up...

If it were to work, that appears to give you good temps. Bios update? You are using C2D aren't you? your sig still says 560J, not that the sig matters.
September 30, 2006 2:53:59 PM

Nope. Still stuck on 560J waiting for the C2Q! I chimed in since I've never been able to make heads or tails of the Speedfan readings. :D 
!