New Arctic Silver Instructions for Core 2 Duo

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
Did I read that right? For dual cores, they are not recommending spreading AS5, instead just twisting the heat sink a few degrees in both directions to "spread" the grease on the core area?

Edit: Spelling error

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
Did I read that right? For duel cores, they are not recommending spreading AS5, instead just twisting the heat sink a few degrees in both directions to "spread" the grease on the core area?

Yup, I read that as well...

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
I was a bit surprised when I read that you have to "break in" grease ...

...Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5 conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature....

This might explain some of the temp issues posted here.

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
If you need to remove your Artic Silver and reapply, I've found white mineral spirits work best, followed by rubbing alcohol to remove the residue.
I keep a tube of Technu poision ivy oil remover on hand at my house (poison oak on the edge of the yard) and it works amazingly well for cleaning up my heat sinks and cpus (main ingredient, mineral oil).
Just a few drops on a cotton swab and the thermal paste dissolves away.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Interesting. I see the have specific instuction per type of core.

So the main difference, rather then a dot grain of rice size, it's just a straight line (aprrox length of the core) on the heat spreader for C2D

That pdf had a nice picture illistration.

Nice Update/Find.

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
If you need to remove your Artic Silver and reapply, I've found white mineral spirits work best, followed by rubbing alcohol to remove the residue.
I keep a tube of Technu poision ivy oil remover on hand at my house (poison oak on the edge of the yard) and it works amazingly well for cleaning up my heat sinks and cpus (main ingredient, mineral oil).
Just a few drops on a cotton swab and the thermal paste dissolves away.

According to Arctic Silver (and I think they should know), mineral oil is a real no-no, as are cotten swabs. If you want the best results, read the AS5 instructions carefully and throughly.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
remember, don't use cotton since its not lint free and will leave residue on your cpu...

But then again, I never really cared myself. at worst, I lose 1-2 degrees C.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Would be minimal at best. Most time, I believe even when you get high temps its not due to the application of the AS5, but the actual mounting of the HSF... shrug

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Their doc. makes it sound very important to start the line at the bottom (i.e south-end of the cpu) then apply it towards the top (i.e. in a north-ward direction), rather than north to south.

Why does it matter which direction you apply the paste in? This sounds like a myth to me. Do you have to wait for a full moon and only wear gold underwear too?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
:lol:

They just want you to be sure your covering what would be the core. You could mis interpret the o and < and do that line the wrong way.

I ended up making this:

[code:1:0143003583]
| + |
| + |
|<________|

Note: 775 socket

o <-- gold Dot Top
< <-- gold Arrow Marking Pin 1
+ <--AS5 in line rather dot
[/code:1:0143003583]

Hope that makes it more clear.

function9

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2002
I think they are specifying the direction so people know the orientation of the cpu when the AS5 is applied. That way they don't get tons of emails from people that applied it perpendicular to the cores.

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Im curious to see the results. Any1 done this yet? See any improvements?

I used this method when I installed my E6400 but the temps are still kinda high (52C idle and 66C, both cores at 100%). The AS5 has only been on there for a couple of days so it hasn't cured yet.

What are your temperatures like @ 3.7 GHz on air? How do you measure and did you turn off EIST and the other throttling options?

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Would be minimal at best. Most time, I believe even when you get high temps its not due to the application of the AS5, but the actual mounting of the HSF... shrug

Currenty using a silverstone cooler on my e6600, and I noticed a huge -10 degree- reduction with a papre thick application versus the normal heavy haze application.

This cooler screws on, so hard to screw up the mounting process.

This is the third HS, as I could not get the temps down with the others, but I have never used this thick of an application before.

Good to see I am not an idiot after all!

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
The stock intel cooler was a Biatch to get on, I felt as if I'd break the motherboard in half with all the force I was using. Those ghetto plastic clip things could have been designed so much better. Some heatsinks are hard to install, shrug.

Yeah, a huge haze and a thin layer would make quite a difference. I was mainly talking about if you spread it by razer blade, or spread it by slowly pushing the heatsink on it, or spreading it by moving the heatsink around it.

ocnewb

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
when i put mine on i put adab on the middle of the processor, using plastic wrap on my finger i spread it around the whole top surface of the cpu. IT wasnt real thick however i couldnt see any of the "silver" cpu top thru it. Is that to thick?

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
The new AR5 instructions for C2D seemed very clear to me, even I can understand a picture.
However, after reading some posts in this thread I'm beginning to think I must have missed something.

Did they say you should spread a thin layer with a razor blade or plastic credit card? (Sarcasm) :roll:

Me thinks some people just don't like following instructions. :lol:

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
:? Did they say you should spread a thin layer with a razor blade or plastic credit card? :?

The way I read it ... no. It's the stright (verticle) line and HS twist method 8O

To be honest, I've never heard of this technique before ... but there it is, from AS themselves ... go figure.

mickeddie

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2004
I built a machine with the e6300 and the stock HSF with stock thermal paste. My initial temps were 35 mobo and 37 CPU at idle using the BIOS temp reading.

jjw

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
This is the 3rd itteration of applying arctic silver that I have seen.

Some of the changes may be due to changes in CPUs and the integrated heat spreader. It looks like this is just another modification, to cater to the specifics of the Core 2 duo die layout.

1st cut: Smear around die/spread with razor...
2nd cut: Dot of AS in center, (no spread) and install heatsink. Eliminated 'airbubbles' Mainly for small cored P4's, centered under IHS.
3rd cut: Line of AS along centerline of die. Addresses Conroe longish aspect ratio...