Sign in with
Your question

Durabook Durability Test

Last response: in Site Feedback
May 30, 2007 4:16:15 PM

Toms Hardware conducts both standard and non-traditional durability tests on the Durabook D14RY.

Watch Video

Read Article

Does the our Durabook "Office Assualt" constitute workplace violence? We want to hear from you.
May 30, 2007 4:23:55 PM

"Hey Benjamin, how would you like to test some hardware?"

"Does it involve pork products?"

"No. I promise. No pork products on this test."
May 30, 2007 9:09:37 PM

If you guys were going to do a test like this why didn't you go all the way with it? See how far you could drop it before actually breaking the laptop. Could have also tested it with the monitor being exposed and dropping it a normal way that might happen if it were to fall off a table or something. It just seemed like when watching the video the person dropping it was trying to be careful which defeats the whole purpose of even doing this kind of test.
Related resources
May 31, 2007 2:12:22 AM

I'd find the test would be much more useful to any potential Durabook customer if you guys performed a few more tests, with the laptop powered on:

Open book drop test from odd angles. I'd imagine that more often than not, a laptop would NOT fall on its edge. So, drop it on its corner.

Different floor surfaces. Plywood takes away from some impact. How about hardwood or ceramic tiles? If it survives the tile, it'll survive the ply.

Spill coffee and/or coke while the laptop is powered on. That's when most spills would probably happen.

And, the last test should be the Frisbee...for the angry cubicle monkey. Sure, it might not make it, but it'd look great.

Come on, guys. I'd expect that with the amount of hardware you come across that you'd know how to drop a laptop. But, I like the hardhats.
May 31, 2007 3:43:10 PM

I agree, drop it in real life scenarios, you know, off a desk, on the sidewalk or parking lot and spill some coffee in it when it is on. Dropping it on plywood and from 30 inches is not really reflective of the real world.
May 31, 2007 5:05:37 PM

Quote:
I'd find the test would be much more useful to any potential Durabook customer if you guys performed a few more tests, with the laptop powered on:

Open book drop test from odd angles. I'd imagine that more often than not, a laptop would NOT fall on its edge. So, drop it on its corner.

Different floor surfaces. Plywood takes away from some impact. How about hardwood or ceramic tiles? If it survives the tile, it'll survive the ply.

Spill coffee and/or coke while the laptop is powered on. That's when most spills would probably happen.

And, the last test should be the Frisbee...for the angry cubicle monkey. Sure, it might not make it, but it'd look great.

Come on, guys. I'd expect that with the amount of hardware you come across that you'd know how to drop a laptop. But, I like the hardhats.

Of all the proposed tests, the Piniata test, the Margarita test, the Chevy Suburban test, the Office Linebacker test, nobody proposed an angry cubicle monkey test.

Hopefuly for the next one we will be able to test to failure.
May 31, 2007 5:21:31 PM

The Sonic Blast???? C'mon!

The only thing good about the video is that people know if they get mad when doing something on the computer, they can close it and run around the office smacking people in the head! :D 

And wth?! The keyboard has a drain on the bottom of the notebook or are my eyes decieving me?!
May 31, 2007 6:00:04 PM

Quote:
Hopefuly for the next one we will be able to test to failure.

Get five and test each one to failure. You never know. Could be a bad unit, could be a random variable you didn't consider. With five, you can test it again and again and again and again.

This is science. Get verifiable results...and multi-angle/-speed footage. :wink:

Oh how your suppliers will love you. :twisted:
May 31, 2007 7:11:44 PM

Quote:
And wth?! The keyboard has a drain on the bottom of the notebook or are my eyes decieving me?!

Yep there is a drain hole!

Quote:
If you guys were going to do a test like this why didn't you go all the way with it? See how far you could drop it before actually breaking the laptop. Could have also tested it with the monitor being exposed and dropping it a normal way that might happen if it were to fall off a table or something. It just seemed like when watching the video the person dropping it was trying to be careful which defeats the whole purpose of even doing this kind of test.

This is the first time Durabook has let us do these kind of tests. They were artificial, but we were following their testing procedures in large part to see if the laptop could withstand what Durabook proclaimed it could. I also think while not totally natural, we did pour a heck of a lot of liquid right onto the keypad and dropped it six times at different angles from approximately the height of a normal desk.

Trust me, we had plenty of diabolical stuff in mind, but want a chance to work with some of their higher end models down the road too.
May 31, 2007 7:15:24 PM

You should try this test :wink:

Take a rifle and shoot at the laptop and see if it goes through or stops like this:

Now, if it could withstand that as well as still work, I'd be uberly impressed!!!
May 31, 2007 10:24:19 PM

Some "tests" were a bit gentle. Did someone get to keep the book afterwards or something?

Here are some more "tests" you might like to try:

The verbal abuse test (yell insults at it for several minutes)
The parking lot test (on a warm day leave it in a car with the windows rolled up)
The loneliness test (leave it at home for 5 hours)
The keypress test (see if the keys can withstand 1000 keypresses)

Tests I would like to try:

Throw it out of a moving car
Drop it open and on down concrete stairs
Plug it into the wrong voltage
Have a 350 lb friend sit on it, repeat while open
Put it a backpack then put that into a washing machine, then a dryer
Go swimming with it
Eat a turkey dinner off it, while open
Back a car over it, and while open
June 1, 2007 5:41:24 PM

Actualy, one of the tackles was an uncontroled lap to ground fall at an irregular angle when the computer was on.

The test I really wanted was a Mad Max beyond thundedrdome type of "Two notebook enter, one notebook leave" series of tests.

The notebook went back to durabook at the end of the test.

Still, I propose this, manufactuerers willing: We make a list of tests, based primarily on the suggestions you leave here, have you guys vote on what tests to use.
June 1, 2007 6:04:23 PM

LOL

my Sharp Actius MV-12 super small subnotebook has been through far worse and is still fully functional after over 3 years of abuse.

I've dropped it at least 20 times onto the concrete driveway from the top of my car. (1.5 meters onto unyeilding hard surface at every conceivable angle).

I've thrown it across my living room 3 meters from a height of 1.5 meters. (omg, I so did not expect it to work after that. I was in a hurry and was turning around and it slipped out of my hand and when i tried to catch it, i ended up just propelling it further and faster)

A 200 pound relative sat on it in the backseat of my car.... grrrr

Result: 3 year old perfectly functional superlight supersmall notebook with dvd/cd writer with a lot of small nicks and scratches that only enhance its appearance :p 

verdict: toughbook needs to show me a lot more than some nerf tests.
June 4, 2007 9:20:07 PM

F**king weak!!!
That was no stress test. You should have beat the s*&! out of it. I was hoping to see what it would take to break one, not drop it a few times and gently smack Ben on the head. I hope the sonic test was just for laughs, cause if it was a serious test then you guys are idiots.
I have been disappointed in the articles and videos lately. Step it up!
June 5, 2007 8:23:26 PM

So, to clarify, you would have liked the video better, if took 6 cans of redbull and a stick, and took some caffinated vengance upon the durabook?
June 21, 2007 4:29:20 AM

Did anybody else thought the drop test was kinda misleading?

notice the first drop, the 'front' of the laptop(with the audio connections and dvd drive) was near the ruler stick, then guy drops it, after that the camera switches to the 'landing' camera angle and somehow it showed the laptop landed facing the other way...

I mean, I kinda find it funny, when the drop camera showed the laptop dropping and landing near the ruler, but then when the camera switches back to film him pick it up it's all the way on the other end of the plywood or it's in different angles with respect tot he ruler

in fact, only 2 out of 6 drop tests were filmed without switching cameras, breaks or anything, just straight forward shooting
June 21, 2007 4:53:19 PM

Quote:
notice the first drop, the 'front' of the laptop(with the audio connections and dvd drive) was near the ruler stick, then guy drops it, after that the camera switches to the 'landing' camera angle and somehow it showed the laptop landed facing the other way...

I mean, I kinda find it funny, when the drop camera showed the laptop dropping and landing near the ruler, but then when the camera switches back to film him pick it up it's all the way on the other end of the plywood or it's in different angles with respect tot he ruler

Nice catch. We didn't do a two camera shoot and our follow up close ups don't match up exactly right. I think I'd disagree though that it was "mis-leading" because even though we cut away from the shot, we did drop it 6 times at the different angles, plus dropped it a few more times for the close up shots.
!