P4 + Socket 478 + PCI-E?

Razumen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I've been looking for a good mobo that has a socket 478 cpu connector and has a 16xPCI-E slot. so I can continue using my old P4 with a decent video card until I make the rather costly leap to a Core2 setup.

There are two MBs that I know of that fit these criteria - the Albatron PX915G4C and PX915P4C series, as well as ASUS's P4RD1-MX, however I've had zero luck finding them anywhere. Does anyone here know of any other good mobos with S478 and PCI-E, or perhaps where I can find the previously mentioned ones? Preferably a site that will ship to Canada.

EDIT: Apparently the ASRock P4Twins-HDTV fits my needs as well, unfortunately it's is not being easy to find either

Ian5223CDN

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
There is also the ASUS P4GPL-X(which I have seen on eBay) and the P4GD1. I have had almost no luck finding either one. Can't remember where but another user stated that they were Europe-only. But they are on the ASUS site if you want to take a look.

I was also looking at an MSI(I scribbled it out and not actually sure it said PCIe support) board but it uses the SiS chipset which most users say stay away from. Why? No idea. Hate those "just do yourself a favor and stay away from SiS and VIA chipsets, they suck" answers. I can say everything sucks but unless I have some valid, technical reason to say that, I'm just another hater.

Let me know if you find a US/Canadian retailer. I'd love to get my hands on one too. Or search eBay and take a chance. I have not had a problem yet with buying on it.

I have 3.4Ghz Northwood that hasn't even begun to see the end of it's life yet but am itching for a cheaper way to get graphics cards. You see the price difference in AGP versus PCIe?!

Ian

Razumen

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
I'll keep you updated if I find any, but I've pretty much decided to just save my money, wait a couple of months for prices to go down and get myself a Core Duo system, hopefully I'll be able to put one together for $700-800 by that time.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Just get a p965
At this point, well just don't bother with 478 + PCI-E if you are willing to get a new motherboard.
A good 965 or X2 will last you a whole lot longer.
You know, blah blah blah.

TheMaster

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2004
I have that infamous P4GPLX, however at this point i dont think there are any available. You're better off going with a cheap conroe setup.
Or waiting a couple months, till i put mine up for sale on ebay. :lol:

I use it with a p4 3.0 at 3.3 ghz and i'm wishing i had a dual core.
The pentium 2.8 Ds we have here at school kick the crap out of my old northwood.