Sign in with
Your question

Desktop Utility very vague temp probe readings...

Last response: in Motherboards
September 29, 2006 3:59:11 AM

I finally ditched the whole pre-packaged (dell) pc's and just built my own. I know my dell didn't have 1 temp probe anywhere. Horrible bios, really stripped down.

Now, I finally got a nice intel board that is seemingly working great along with my new Pent D 945 Presler.
Downloaded the Intel desktop utilities to view temps and found that I have a good 6 temp probes! Yaaay! Most importantly, I finally have a cpu temp probe!
The cpu temp is in its own section, so that is no problem.

But under "board" in this program I have one guage for the I/O controller hub (don't even know where that is), which always runs at 63c, which makes me wonder if that one is even working. Should I be worried about that temp? What is I/O controller hub?
Then I have one for memory controller hub. Don't know where that one is either or what it is. Its reading 46c right now, which I guess is fine.

Anyhow, aside from that, I have 3 other guages, with different temps, but they are all listed generically as "motherboard temperature".
What is what here?
The bios isn't much better in helping me here either.
I want to know what these temps are. I'm guessing one might be the northbridge, another the southbridge, and another perhaps just a random probe.
But I have no clue.

I've tried speedfan and systool, but they don't seem compatible or working correctly with my mobo yet.

Is there any way to get these temps sorted out and figure out where and what these probes are?
October 1, 2006 5:08:34 PM

I/O is the southbridge and memory controller is the northbridge. Those temp readings you got are fine. I have the Intel DP965LT and get the same temps as you. With my mobo came a very detailed diagram labeling everything including the location of the temp sensors.
BTW - my e6600 is runiing at 33C and my three mobo temps are 38, 43, & 42C.
Hope this helps.
October 1, 2006 6:54:39 PM

Quote:
I/O is the southbridge and memory controller is the northbridge. Those temp readings you got are fine. I have the Intel DP965LT and get the same temps as you. With my mobo came a very detailed diagram labeling everything including the location of the temp sensors.
BTW - my e6600 is runiing at 33C and my three mobo temps are 38, 43, & 42C.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, that helps.
I guess my only concern is how my I/O (southbridge) always runs at 63c. I've never seen it at anything other than that. Is that normal? Every other temp fluctuates at least a little bit. I wonder if that probe is stuck, but if you say that is all normal, I'll be OK with it.
And I have noticed that the guage for the southbridge goes higher than all the other ones, and mine is well in the "green" (safe) zone. The other guages top out at 100c, this one is 130c.
I guess I just don't like seeing 63c for a temp in any circumstance.

When feeling around in my case, it was the northbridge (which has the larger heatsink, if I'm correct) that feels really hot. Temp right now is 44c, but when I put my hand near it, it is definitely hot. I'm not doubting the reading, thats just an observation I noticed.

I'll have to find that diagram that shows the temp sensor locations to see what those other ones are. Even if I knew where they were at, I would know which one is which since they are all labeled the same on the utility. But my 3 mobo temps are 34c for all of them right now, so I'm not going to worry about that, plus I have a heater going nearby and temps are maybe a little hotter right now than usual.

As long as I'm right and the 63c on the southbridge is OK, I'm really happy with all my other temps.
I'm really happy that my pent D 945 is running under 40c all the time at idle. Usually around 35c lately. And my graphics card and nvsilencer cooling solution (on a 7900GT-OC) has been idling at 41c and under load only goes up to like 45c, which I've been impressed by. In my old case a few weeks ago, my idle temps were around 48c, and load temps went much higher than they do now.

That is good because I haven't changed anything there, and it means that my case dropped those temps. Had good airflow in last case, but was a smaller case.
I also had more fans in that case.
Anyhow, I'm not a big overclocker although I do overclock my graphics cards every now and then. But with these temps I'm getting now, OC'ing might be something I'll check out in the near future. But not sure if the intel bios will let me change the FSB speeds.

This case, I just have a 80mm intake, and that 120mm outtake that is always running very slow because of the PWM. I'm fine with that as I also have my psu dual fans pushing air out the back. With both of those, I can keep them going slow and quiet and still get great results. Nice to have a case so quiet and cool without adding extra fans and having just normal air cooling. Coolermaster Centurion, cheap and I would highly recommend it, just has great design, and has that funnel type thing that aids the hsf.
!