File Sharing problem

Can't change Permission on a shared folder to any Domain user. I setup a
shared folder. Give it a name, click on Permission Button. On the Share
Permission window I click on the Add button to add a domain user. on the
Select Users or Group window I click on the Location Button to change to the
Domain only it's not there. The only thing there is the local machine.
Also have tried using Control Panel/Admin tools, but get the same thing.
Back ground info... OS XP Pro w/ DHCP network with Domain. File and Print
Sharing - on. Simple file sharing - off. Network is working fine, can see all
other Computers and Domain/Logon server (W2K). Can get e-mail and get on the
Internet. As well as print to a network Printer.

So how do I setup Domain user on the shared folder?
3 answers Last reply
More about file sharing problem
  1. Any solution ??
    please.....

    Can't change Permission on a shared folder to any Domain user. I setup a
    shared folder. Give it a name, click on Permission Button. On the Share
    Permission window I click on the Add button to add a domain user. on the
    Select Users or Group window I click on the Location Button to change to the
    Domain only it's not there. The only thing there is the local machine.
    Also have tried using Control Panel/Admin tools, but get the same thing.
    Back ground info... OS XP Pro w/ DHCP network with Domain. File and Print
    Sharing - on. Simple file sharing - off. Network is working fine, can see all
    other Computers and Domain/Logon server (W2K). Can get e-mail and get on the
    Internet. As well as print to a network Printer.

    So how do I setup Domain user on the shared folder?
  2. is the pc/laptop a member of the domain

    if not you will not be able to search for domain users

    what as you want them to connect to lets call it file A for now from a domain they need a password to access the PC with A on it

    you could just share the foler to every one see if that will work but that is not wat you want

    so here it is step by step

    1) create and share folder e.g. c:\myshare$

    2) create a account of you computer (e.g. domainAccess)

    3) give add this account to the folder Permissions and security setup.

    4) now from domain pc/laptop open the pc and file e.g. \\MyPC\MyShare$

    5) enter password for account ceated in step 2
  3. yes its have a domain.....

Domain File Sharing Windows XP