performance problems with a home built system

ranruiken

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Hello everyone,

I assembled my system like 3 weeks ago and since then I have noticed that I don't really get the same results as done on various benchmarks, actually it's not 10-20% but in some cases it's over twice less, like in games :/

My system:

Core 2 Duo E6700,
Asus p5w dh deluxe
corsair xms26400 cas4 2x1024ram
Gigabyte GeForce 7600gt,
2xWD1600JS in RAID 0
1X WD2500KS
Zalman 9500
other stuff I don't think is important, but if needed, will mention later, when I get back, a little bit in a hurry right now.

Ok, so, the thing is, while playing games I noticed that I don't get any near the fps I see in various reviews andw ith weaker systems but same graphics card. Quake 4 is terrible at High, 1280x1024, 8xaniso, 4xaa, average fps is like 23-27, drops to 10fps quite often and rarelly goes above 40... battlefield 2 plays smoothly just still, fps below what I see others get... same with all the games. Synthetic benchmarks don't show that anything is wrong though. Also the actual performance in various programs doesn't seem to be what it should be :|

Would apreciate any help :)
Will be back in 7 hours

Sleepy2

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The symptoms mentioned and bechmarks quoted would have me looking at the graphic system. Check Gigabyte for updated drivers for the video card, and check at nvidia as well, if both have the same version number check file size also as I've experienced problems with a 6600GT where the manufacturers drivers were the latest version but a different file size, and while nvidia drivers didn't fix the problem the manufacturers version did.

Check the motherboards site for bios updates which may address relevant issues (I wouldn't flash bios unless there was something relevant in later versions). Chipset driver updates may also be relevant.