really weird boot problem

corey1505

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
My computer will often not start after it is shutdown. It shows a blank screen, but the system fans do run and the hard drive light does not come on and it doesnt seem like they start up. I have tried a couple different things and I can't seem to figure out whats going on.

Another power supply worked similarly.
Another graphics card worked every time I tried it (radeon 9000pro).
Without the card it boots every time I try it.

It seems like my graphics card is the problem I just don't understand why it works sometimes and not others. The x800xl has an external power connector and draws a lot more power than the 9000pro thats why I think it could be a power issue.

x800xl agp graphics
2400+ athlon xp
emachines mb
turbolink 420 watt power supply

random_foxx

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Yes, my first guess would be a lack of adaquate power from your power supply. If the other video card works, but it draws less power then what is needed from your supply, that doesn't really rule anything out.

Its possible too that your video card has just gone faulty.

I assume this setup -used- to run well, and then one day just stopped? Have you got the system to boot with the current configuration before?

corey1505

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
My computer worked fine after I bought the new graphics card and put in the new power supply in july. It is only in the last month that I have had problems.

I have 28 amps on my +12v rail.

I would guess it was the card, but the power supply isn't a very reliable brand and I have had occasional power outages at my house for no apparent reason or the power just flicks off then on. It actually happened today 3-4 times, no outage, but just off and immediatly back on. Does make me think that my main power is suspect.
Any ideas on how to diagnose the problem?

Get a new PSU that has Active PFC. Basicly it smooths out fluxuations in the AC current coming into the PSU. Offering more stable power in areas like your in.

I think you meant "BackUPS unit with AVR" not "PSU that has Active PFC" since decreasing the phase angle of the AC voltage / current won't do much when the utility lines are whacky :wink:

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
My computer will often not start after it is shutdown. It shows a blank screen, but the system fans do run and the hard drive light does not come on and it doesnt seem like they start up. I have tried a couple different things and I can't seem to figure out whats going on.

Another power supply worked similarly.
Another graphics card worked every time I tried it (radeon 9000pro).
Without the card it boots every time I try it.

It seems like my graphics card is the problem I just don't understand why it works sometimes and not others. The x800xl has an external power connector and draws a lot more power than the 9000pro thats why I think it could be a power issue.

x800xl agp graphics
2400+ athlon xp
emachines mb
turbolink 420 watt power supply
reseat the memory modules ..or even try other dimms

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I wouldn't automatically single out the PSU because at start up the card and cpu aren't really drawing much power. If you started having problems when you put the machine under full load, that would be different.

It seems to me from just what you said that the card is at fault, but as said, be sure everything in the machine is seated properly.

aequalsb

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
Maybe you should get a UPS or something to keep the computer from just turning off when the power goes out. I don't think windows likes being shut off randomly w/out warning and could lead to crazy stuff happening too. Make sure you get a good one tho, I bought a cheap one and as soon as the power flickered it fried the unit. Of course i didnt save the reciept. :x

Good luck

Andy