really wierd computer problem

corey1505

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
My computer will often not start after it is shutdown. It shows a blank screen, but the system fans do run and the hard drive light does not come on and it doesnt seem like they start up. I have tried a couple different things and I can't seem to figure out whats going on.

Another power supply worked similarly.
Another graphics card worked every time I tried it (radeon 9000pro).
Without the card it boots every time I try it.

It seems like my graphics card is the problem I just don't understand why it works sometimes and not others. The x800xl has an external power connector and draws a lot more power than the 9000pro thats why I think it could be a power issue.

x800xl agp graphics
2400+ athlon xp
emachines mb
turbolink 420 watt power supply

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
I'm pretty sure you answered your own question..... It's likely a power issue and you need a better psu.
While 420 should be enough for a system like yours, I'd question the quality and reliability of a no-name psu like turbolink, especially if it came originally with your emachine.

Vokofpolisiekar

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Something of note here: on my new mobo (975xbx), I noticed that sometimes, with a restart, my post takes exceptionally long, with the x1900 spinning at full blast.

Now this didn't happen on my 925xe (Abit), and the only thing different now is a.) mobo and b.) Core 2 CPU.

To further make things interesting, I presume the setting in bios for which display to boot in (ie PCIx/PCI/Auto) may have some impact here. Somehow, I think the BIOS gets a tad confused and probably tries the PCI ports and stalls, and finally loads the PCIx.

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
To further make things interesting, I presume the setting in bios for which display to boot in (ie PCIx/PCI/Auto) may have some impact here. Somehow, I think the BIOS gets a tad confused and probably tries the PCI ports and stalls, and finally loads the PCIx.

Are you saying that the BIOS thinks that the spelling of PCI and PCI-E is similar and therefore it needs to rub its eyes to make sure it is reading the instructions correctly? :D If so (and regardless) change Auto to PCI-E manually. Then save changes and reboot.

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Something of note here: on my new mobo (975xbx), I noticed that sometimes, with a restart, my post takes exceptionally long, with the x1900 spinning at full blast.

Now this didn't happen on my 925xe (Abit), and the only thing different now is a.) mobo and b.) Core 2 CPU.

And, this has to do with what???

corey1505

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
My power supply did not come with my computer. I got it from a friend who bought a case but did not need the supply. I know it isn't top of the line, but it does have 28 amps on the +12v rail.

It does not post. This problem is happening only recently and seems to be getting worse. I bought the x800xl in july and it worked fine for a couple of months. When I do get the computer to boot I have no problems at all.

My card is AGP not pci-express.

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I usually get this problem on an old DFI NV2 motherboard.. blah blah.. Only when i hit the reset button on a system stall, sometimes it wont come back up. Just power it down all the way then restart.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Turbolink PSU are quite crap, you need to eliminate it from the equation and only try known good PSU.

Forget about looking at it's label for current ratings, as that's complete fiction.