Canon Pixma 4200

I understand that the ip4200 (replacement for the ip4000 and probably the
ip3000) has a 1 picolitre printhead.
The inks are dye based (CLI-8) except for the PGI-5BK pigment black.
Canon claim that the new Chromalife 100 ink will last up to 100 years on Canon
photographic paper if stored in an archival photo album.
CD and DVD printing is supported, except probably in the USA; and I guess that
auto duplexing is also supported.
The ink tanks are chipped and available in BCMY plus the pigment PGI-5BK.
The chips are designed to alert the user if they are installed into an
incorrect position in the carriage (yes there are some printers that allow
this) and provide low ink warning.
Chip resetters are already being developed.

I have no affiliation with Canon so measekite please keep your garbage where it
belongs; in your mouth.

Tony
39 answers Last reply
More about canon pixma 4200

    > I understand that the ip4200 (replacement for the ip4000 and probably the
    > ip3000) has a 1 picolitre printhead.

    If you mean the ip3000 has been replaced by the ip4200, you could look
    at it that way. I prefer to think of the ip3000 being abandoned. It
    probally cost the same to produce as the ip4000... so pretty dang
    pointless to continue making it.

    > Canon claim that the new Chromalife 100 ink will last up to 100 years on Canon
    > photographic paper if stored in an archival photo album.

    Yea, and 30 years under glass rather than the older chromalife which
    was rated at 25. There is a new claim of 10 years for other papers not
    the glossy plus but I think those tests were internal to canon. No
    clue what the old standard was... there are times that I thought it was
    a few months.

    > CD and DVD printing is supported, except probably in the USA; and I guess that
    > auto duplexing is also supported.

    There is a rumor that the CD printing tray has been replaced by tray
    Type C. The ip3000/4000/5000/6000d/8500 used tray type B, where the
    i865 i965 and probally the i905 used tray type a. A to B look
    identical except they moved the alignment reflectors fore of the disc.
    I would appricate it if anyone with a tray type C to take the time and
    scan it and send it to me.

    But it looks like unlike the older pixmas the cd slot has rollers
    onboard with a thinner piece of plastic blocking the slot.

    > The ink tanks are chipped and available in BCMY plus the pigment PGI-5BK.
    > The chips are designed to alert the user if they are installed into an
    > incorrect position in the carriage (yes there are some printers that allow
    > this) and provide low ink warning.

    Refillers can refill the current generation chips past the low ink
    warning. I'm told you get a couple of low ink error messages and
    eventually it will give up and say that "if you continue canon is not
    accountable". I've not seen this message my self but it makes sense,
    and is "somewhat" fair enough. It might lead to a few lawsuits as
    technicaly use of 3rd party ink can't automaticly void the warranty.
    Hopefully there will be chipresetters to keep the ink meter
    operational. Not sure if the new series still uses a prism as well as
    the chip meter.

    > I doubt if they still use the prism, why would they? You are right about the
    > warranty issue. I would be amazed if chipresetters don't appear very quickly.

    Well.. someone on stevesforums was messing with their printer and the
    printer was compaining that they didn't have #7s installed, where it
    was a ip4200 which clearly called for #8s. But a good reason to
    continue using the prism is as a form of failsafe. Chips are only
    estimates of ink remaining that can be off for a number of reasons...
    like for example if some of the ink leaked out of the cartridge before
    you installed it. The prism actually looks for the ink level and will
    well when the reservoir is empty and your on the sponge.

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> I understand that the ip4200 (replacement for the ip4000 and probably the
    >> ip3000) has a 1 picolitre printhead.
    >
    >If you mean the ip3000 has been replaced by the ip4200, you could look
    >at it that way. I prefer to think of the ip3000 being abandoned. It
    >probally cost the same to produce as the ip4000... so pretty dang
    >pointless to continue making it.

    agreed

    >> Canon claim that the new Chromalife 100 ink will last up to 100 years on
    >>Canon
    >> photographic paper if stored in an archival photo album.
    >
    >Yea, and 30 years under glass rather than the older chromalife which
    >was rated at 25. There is a new claim of 10 years for other papers not
    >the glossy plus but I think those tests were internal to canon. No
    >clue what the old standard was... there are times that I thought it was
    >a few months.

    I am just the messenger, I don't necessarily believe the reports from Canon :)

    >> CD and DVD printing is supported, except probably in the USA; and I guess
    >>that
    >> auto duplexing is also supported.
    >
    >There is a rumor that the CD printing tray has been replaced by tray
    >Type C. The ip3000/4000/5000/6000d/8500 used tray type B, where the
    >i865 i965 and probally the i905 used tray type a. A to B look
    >identical except they moved the alignment reflectors fore of the disc.
    > I would appricate it if anyone with a tray type C to take the time and
    >scan it and send it to me.
    >
    >But it looks like unlike the older pixmas the cd slot has rollers
    >onboard with a thinner piece of plastic blocking the slot.
    >
    >> The ink tanks are chipped and available in BCMY plus the pigment PGI-5BK.
    >> The chips are designed to alert the user if they are installed into an
    >> incorrect position in the carriage (yes there are some printers that allow
    >> this) and provide low ink warning.
    >
    >Refillers can refill the current generation chips past the low ink
    >warning. I'm told you get a couple of low ink error messages and
    >eventually it will give up and say that "if you continue canon is not
    >accountable". I've not seen this message my self but it makes sense,
    >and is "somewhat" fair enough. It might lead to a few lawsuits as
    >technicaly use of 3rd party ink can't automaticly void the warranty.
    >Hopefully there will be chipresetters to keep the ink meter
    >operational. Not sure if the new series still uses a prism as well as
    >the chip meter.

    I doubt if they still use the prism, why would they? You are right about the
    warranty issue. I would be amazed if chipresetters don't appear very quickly.
    Tony

    > you can not listen to marketing people

    You are right, nor should we listen to you either.

    Black: 25 ppm (approx. 2.4 seconds/page)*
    Color: 17 ppm (approx. 3.5 seconds/page)*
    Color Photo: 4x6 borderless photo: approx. 36 seconds*
    ip4000 and ip5000 specifications.
    Note they are the same. This is not to say that the ip4000 isn't
    faster than the ip5000 but canon says they are the same.

    ip3000
    Black: 22 ppm (approx. 2.7 seconds/page)*
    Color: 15 ppm (approx. 4 seconds/page)*
    Color Photo: 4x6 borderless photo: approx. 36 seconds*
    ip3000 specifications
    Minor speed hit in theory. To be honest I don't notice.

    ip4200
    Black: 29 ppm (approx. 2.1 seconds per page)*
    Color: 20 ppm (approx. 3 seconds per page)*
    Color Photo: 4" x 6" borderless photo: approx. 51 seconds*

    ip5200
    Black: 30 ppm (approx. 2.0 seconds/page)*
    Color: 24 ppm (approx. 2.5 seconds/page)*
    Color Photo: 4" x 6" borderless photo: approx. 36 seconds*

    * all numbers quoted directly from http://consumer.usa.canon.com/
    All trademarkes owned by someone, void at any time
    reprinted without permission

    > since the ip5200 is the same speed as the ip4000 and does offer 1pl printer printing
    > that does improve text then it is a replacement for the ip4000 and could be called an
    > upgraded replacement for the ip4000.

    Since when does the ip5200 use 1pl for printing text?
    Since when does the ip4000 use 2pl nozzles for printing text?
    I mean I don't know for a fact but if you actually look at the numbers
    you'll see the pigment black offers 320 nozzles, and the black nozzles
    cover a larger area than the color ones. Further we can see that on
    the ip4200/ip5000 printhead that we have 1536 nozzles or 384 nozzles
    each in a smaller area. I've never counted them but we can assume
    there are 256 1pl nozzles and 128 5pl nozzles This is a reasonable
    assumption. Assuming that the pigment black nozzles take up three
    times the area as the color ones, and assuming there are 128 5pl
    nozzles this would be 384 nozzles... so really really close to
    320nozzles. I'm not saying that you are wrong but it doesn't make
    sense that the 1pl drop size would have ANY affect on text. Someone
    correct me if my assumption is wrong, but I have seen NOWHERE that the
    minium drop size is used for text.

    The ip4200 basicly got the ip5000 head. I'd have to wait to see if the
    model number is the same. Canon did this before with the i860 to the
    ip4000. The ip5200 got a new head. One could say the ip5000 series
    represents new technology where the ip4000 series represents old
    technology. And the ip3000 gets abandoned because they ran out of 4
    ink printheads.

    According to canon, the ip4000 and ip5000 had the same print speed.
    Also according to canon both the ip4200 and the ip5200 are faster than
    the prior models. Reality may be different but your the one who
    "read'em and weep", so I did and according to canon you are wrong, dead
    wrong. Now there might be a pcmag revew of these printers that might
    yield different results, but these are hardly crediable if they are
    testing the printing on different machines.

    The ip4200 is the replacement for the ip3000/4000 the entry level
    pixmas. The ip5200 is the replacement for the ip5000. It gets more
    nozzles which would improve speed and likely image quality.

    zakezuke wrote:
> [...]
    > represents new technology where the ip4000 series represents old
    > technology. And the ip3000 gets abandoned because they ran out of 4
    > ink printheads.
    >
    > According to canon, the ip4000 and ip5000 had the same print speed.
    > Also according to canon both the ip4200 and the ip5200 are faster than
    > the prior models. Reality may be different but your the one who
    > "read'em and weep", so I did and according to canon you are wrong, dead
    > wrong. Now there might be a pcmag revew of these printers that might
    > yield different results, but these are hardly crediable if they are
    > testing the printing on different machines.
    >
    > The ip4200 is the replacement for the ip3000/4000 the entry level
    > pixmas. The ip5200 is the replacement for the ip5000. It gets more
    > nozzles which would improve speed and likely image quality.

    There are far, far too many numbers in your excellent explanation for
    measershithead to even come close to understanding or comprehending.
    I do suspect though that he'll understand one symbol, that of a middle
    finger held erect. :-)
    Frank

    BASED ON SPEED AND PRINT QUALITY IT APPEARS THAT THE IP4200 IS AN
    UPGRADE FOR THE DISCONTINUED IP3000 AND NOT REALLY A REPLACEMENT OR
    UPGRADE FOR THE IP4000. FROM LOOKING AT CANON'S SPECS THE IP5200 IS AN
    UPGRADE/REPLACEMENT FOR THE IP4000 BEING FASTER AND BETTER TEXT PRINT
    QUALITY AND A DIRECT REPLACEMENT FOR THE IP5000.

    BASICALLY IN TERMS OF NOZZLES AND SPEED GOING FROM AN IP4000 TO AN
    IP4200 MAY PROVIDE YOU WITH BETTER??? RESULTS AT THE EXPENSE OF PERFORMANCE.

    DO NOT LISTEN TO TONY DA TIGER AS HE IS IN DA BUSINESS AND CANNOT BE
    TRUSTED.

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>I understand that the ip4200 (replacement for the ip4000 and probably the
    >>ip3000) has a 1 picolitre printhead.

    ACCORDING TO PERFORMANCE

    P4200 REPLACES THE IP3000
    IP5200 REPLACES THE IP4000 AND IP5000

    measekite wrote:

    > zakezuke wrote:
    >
    >>> I understand that the ip4200 (replacement for the ip4000 and probably
    >>> the
    >>> ip3000) has a 1 picolitre printhead.
    >>>

    > ACCORDING TO PERFORMANCE
    >
    > P4200 REPLACES THE IP3000
    > IP5200 REPLACES THE IP4000 AND IP5000

    WRONG - AS USUAL . . .

    According to much more reliable sources than you, the iP4200 replaces
    the "iP3000 and iP4000" printers. And my iP5000 is replaced by the
    iP5200. Read 'em and weep.

    -Taliesyn

    Tony wrote:

    >"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>I understand that the ip4200 (replacement for the ip4000 and probably the
    >>>ip3000) has a 1 picolitre printhead.
    >>>

    >>If you mean the ip3000 has been replaced by the ip4200, you could look
    >>at it that way. I prefer to think of the ip3000 being abandoned. It
    >>probally cost the same to produce as the ip4000... so pretty dang
    >>pointless to continue making it.
    >>

    >agreed

    CAN YOU BELIEVE TONY DA TIGER IS IN DA BUSINESS. WHO CAN BELIEVE WHAT
    HE SAYS.

    >>>Canon claim that the new Chromalife 100 ink will last up to 100 years on
    >>>Canon
    >>>photographic paper if stored in an archival photo album.
    >>>

    >>Yea, and 30 years under glass rather than the older chromalife which
    >>was rated at 25. There is a new claim of 10 years for other papers not
    >>the glossy plus but I think those tests were internal to canon. No
    >>clue what the old standard was... there are times that I thought it was
    >>a few months.
    >>

    >I am just the messenger, I don't necessarily believe the reports from Canon :)

    I DO

    In article <jIiZe.6350$6e1.4749@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    inkystinky@oem.com says...
    > DO NOT LISTEN TO TONY DA TIGER AS HE IS IN DA BUSINESS AND CANNOT BE
    > TRUSTED.

    Based on this kind of thinking, we should not listen to Canon, as they
    are REALLY "in da business"! What a doofus!

    Taliesyn wrote:

    > measekite wrote:

    >> ACCORDING TO PERFORMANCE
    >>
    >> P4200 REPLACES THE IP3000
    >> IP5200 REPLACES THE IP4000 AND IP5000
    >>

    > WRONG - AS USUAL . . .
    >
    > According to much more reliable sources than you, the iP4200 replaces
    > the "iP3000 and iP4000" printers. And my iP5000 is replaced by the
    > iP5200. Read 'em and weep.
    >
    > -Taliesyn

    incorrect. YOU CANNOT LISTEN TO MARKETING PEOPLE. READ THE SPEC. READ
    THE SPEED. AND YOU WILL FIND OUT THAT THE IP4200 IS FAR SLOWER THAN THE
    IP4000. SO YOU GAIN 1 PL FOR TEXT PRINTING AND LOOSE PERFORMANCE. I
    WOULD SAY THAT IT IS AN UPGRADED REPLACEMENT FOR THE IP3000.

    SINCE THE IP5200 IS THE SAME SPEED AS THE IP4000 AND DOES OFFER 1PL
    PRINTING THAT DOES IMPROVE TEXT THEN IT IS A REPLACEMENT FOR THE IP4000
    AND COULD BE CALLED AN UPGRADED REPLACEMENT FOR THE IP4000. IT ALSO IS
    A REPLACEMENT FOR THE IP5000 IN THAT THE INK IS CLAIMED TO BE BETTER.

    READ'EM AND WEEP

    >>> If you mean the ip3000 has been replaced by the ip4200, you could look
    >>> at it that way. I prefer to think of the ip3000 being abandoned. It
    >>> probally cost the same to produce as the ip4000... so pretty dang
    >>> pointless to continue making it.

    >>> Yea, and 30 years under glass rather than the older chromalife which
    >>> was rated at 25. There is a new claim of 10 years for other papers not
    >>> the glossy plus but I think those tests were internal to canon. No
    >>> clue what the old standard was... there are times that I thought it was
    >>> a few months.

    >>> There is a rumor that the CD printing tray has been replaced by tray
    >>> Type C. The ip3000/4000/5000/6000d/8500 used tray type B, where the
    >>> i865 i965 and probally the i905 used tray type a. A to B look
    >>> identical except they moved the alignment reflectors fore of the disc.
    >>> I would appricate it if anyone with a tray type C to take the time and
    >>> scan it and send it to me.
    >>>
    >>> But it looks like unlike the older pixmas the cd slot has rollers
    >>> onboard with a thinner piece of plastic blocking the slot.

    >>> Refillers can refill the current generation chips past the low ink
    >>> warning. I'm told you get a couple of low ink error messages and
    >>> eventually it will give up and say that "if you continue canon is not
    >>> accountable". I've not seen this message my self but it makes sense,
    >>> and is "somewhat" fair enough. It might lead to a few lawsuits as
    >>> technicaly use of 3rd party ink can't automaticly void the warranty.
    >>> Hopefully there will be chipresetters to keep the ink meter
    >>> operational. Not sure if the new series still uses a prism as well as
    >>> the chip meter.

    > I think they slow down the printers for the brits to match their mind

    Two points

    1. I am not british
    2. The numbers I quoted I clearly indicated as being from
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/

    Now... it's true that numbers for a4 paper are going to be a little
    different than those for letter, but they are so close there is
    typicaly less than a 1 percent difference. But as we no doubt observed
    the basic printer model is the same for all markets save a config
    change which can be done in service mode, and sometimes a different
    power supply and software compiment. Oh and cd printing is disabled in
    the Americas.

    Now let's look at the speeds for a moment
    Which btw i've been able to establish they're talking about draft mode.

    ip3000 Black: 22 ppm -
    ip4000/5000 Black: 25 ppm -
    ip4200 Black: 29 ppm -
    ip5200 Black: 30 ppm -

    Let's assume a 500p yield from the ink tanks.
    ip3000 00:22:44
    ip4000 00:20:00
    ip5000 ' '
    ip4200 00:17:25
    ip5200 00:16:40

    keep in mind that the max you can store in the printer at any given
    time is 150 sheets in each tray IIRC. Perhaps you can get away with
    auto select source and print more than 150 sheets at a time.

    Assuming 150 sheets and 300 sheets
    ip3000 00:06:49 00:13:38
    ip4000 00:06:00 00:12:00
    ip/5000 ' ' ' '
    ip4200 00:05:10 00:10:20
    ip5200 00:05:00 00:10:00

    Obvious factors such as service life enter into the picture as well,
    and the paper reloading, and the cartridge changing. Assuming the
    service life of the printer is 10 cartridge changes well... I can see
    where one could save about 60 min if one were to ditch the ip3000 in
    favor of the ip5200 not including cartridge changes, paper reloading.
    Head and printer replacement well unless you had a spare handy might
    take a little longer lowering your effective PPM.

    measekite statemetn
    "you will find out that the ip4200 is far slower than the ip4000"

    I have no real world tests to go by, only the canon numbers they
    provided. But I see it's at least faster in draft mode. Now if you
    have a review of the ip4200 i'd be happy to read it, but the only
    evidence available, canon's specs, i.e. the stuff you asked us to look
    at says the ip4200 is faster than the ip4000 by 50seconds per 150
    sheets. Not that this matters in reality as the yield is so small,
    like 40min of useful service life or so. Such heavy users who would
    notice an improvement would likely be interested in a laser or
    something with a more useful service life than 7,200 pages
    1,500char/page.

    I THINK THEY SLOW DOWN THE PRINTERS FOR THE BRITS TO BETTER MATCH THEIR
    MIND.

    MATT ZAKOWSKI TIME

    Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:

    >In article <jIiZe.6350$6e1.4749@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    >inkystinky@oem.com says...
    >

    >>DO NOT LISTEN TO TONY DA TIGER AS HE IS IN DA BUSINESS AND CANNOT BE
    >>TRUSTED.
    >>

    >Based on this kind of thinking, we should not listen to Canon, as they
    >are REALLY "in da business"! What a doofus!

    YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO YOUR PECKER BLOOMER

    "zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> I understand that the ip4200 (replacement for the ip4000 and probably the
    >> ip3000) has a 1 picolitre printhead.
    >
    > If you mean the ip3000 has been replaced by the ip4200, you could look
    > at it that way. I prefer to think of the ip3000 being abandoned. It
    > probally cost the same to produce as the ip4000... so pretty dang
    > pointless to continue making it.
    >
    >> Canon claim that the new Chromalife 100 ink will last up to 100 years on
    >> Canon
    >> photographic paper if stored in an archival photo album.
    >
    > Yea, and 30 years under glass rather than the older chromalife which
    > was rated at 25. There is a new claim of 10 years for other papers not
    > the glossy plus but I think those tests were internal to canon. No
    > clue what the old standard was... there are times that I thought it was
    > a few months.

    And if you look at the actual conditions they test under you will find they
    are not particularly rigorous. I was very disappointed to read the fineprint
    on this one, and it's interesting that Canon do not submit to Wilhelm
    testing.

    > ok da poles

    What is your point. Polish printers are slower? I don't think so.
    You are full of it. You see you tried to say was that british printers
    were slower, which is not true. A4 paper might be lightly longer which
    would affect print times but 17.6mm. But the printer speed is the
    same.

    Now if you have any data to back up your statement that the ip4200 is
    slower than the ip4000 i'd be happy to see it. Hell I would enjoy
    seeing any data sugesting that the ip4000 is faster then ip5000.

    Things you seem to be wrong on

    1. The ip4000 is faster than the ip4200 and ip5000
    2. Text is better with 1pl print heads

    > zakezukewrote:
    Ih btw i've been able to
    establish they're talking about draft mode.

    > ip3000 Black: 22 ppm -
    > ip4000/5000 Black: 25 ppm -
    > ip4200 Black: 29 ppm -
    > ip5200 Black: 30 ppm -
    >
    > Let's assume a 500p yield from the ink tanks.
    > ip3000 00:22:44
    > ip4000 00:20:00
    > ip5000 ' '
    > ip4200 00:17:25
    > ip5200 00:16:40
    >

    > Assuming 150 sheets and 300 sheets
    > ip3000 00:06:49 00:13:38
    > ip4000 00:06:00 00:12:00
    > ip/5000 ' ' ' '
    > ip4200 00:05:10 00:10:20
    > ip5200 00:05:00 00:10:00

    A fat lot of difference in the PPM print speed, er how long will it
    take to print the work of Shakingspear... oops sorry
    Shakespear....er Britannica Encylopedia ... any ideas how many ink
    tanks I'll need ?

    Davy

    LOOK AT HOW MUCH MATT ZAKOWSKI LIKES TO WRITE

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>I think they slow down the printers for the brits to match their mind
    >>

    >Two points
    >
    >1. I am not british

    OK DA POLES

> [...]
    >evidence available, canon's specs, i.e. the stuff you asked us to look
    >at says the ip4200 is faster than the ip4000 by 50seconds per 150
    >sheets. Not that this matters in reality as the yield is so small,
    >like 40min of useful service life or so. Such heavy users who would
    >notice an improvement would likely be interested in a laser or
    >something with a more useful service life than 7,200 pages
    >1,500char/page.

    >> The ip4200 is the replacement for the ip3000/4000 the entry level
    >> pixmas. The ip5200 is the replacement for the ip5000. It gets more
    >> nozzles which would improve speed and likely image quality.
    >>
    > There are far, far too many numbers in your excellent explanation for
    > measershithead to even come close to understanding or comprehending.
    > I do suspect though that he'll understand one symbol, that of a middle

    From a technological standpoint your reasoning is sound but from a marketing
    point maybe not.

    For the ip4200 to replace both the 3000 and the 4000 what should its price
    point be? On a technological standpoint it is better than either so
    obviously should cost more than either. On the other hand what do canon
    have at the 3000 price point? One solution may be to price the 4200 between
    the 3000 and 4000. I think comparing end of line prices may be misleading.
    At the time of release what was the price of the 3000 and 4000? I think at
    release in england the 4000 went for £149. It eventually dropped to £129
    and stayed there. Towards the end of its life it dropped to 99.99 and then
    there were rebate offers on top. I see one vendor selling for £118.99. It
    depends on the 3000 prices to determine how good this is as a between 3000
    and 4000. However at the moment it already looks good.

    "Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
    >> zakezukewrote:
    > Ih btw i've been able to
    > establish they're talking about draft mode.
    >>

    >> ip3000 Black: 22 ppm -
    >> ip4000/5000 Black: 25 ppm -
    >> ip4200 Black: 29 ppm -
    >> ip5200 Black: 30 ppm -
    >>
    >> Let's assume a 500p yield from the ink tanks.
    >> ip3000 00:22:44
    >> ip4000 00:20:00
    >> ip5000 ' '
    >> ip4200 00:17:25
    >> ip5200 00:16:40
    >>

    >> Assuming 150 sheets and 300 sheets
    >> ip3000 00:06:49 00:13:38
    >> ip4000 00:06:00 00:12:00
    >> ip/5000 ' ' ' '
    >> ip4200 00:05:10 00:10:20
    >> ip5200 00:05:00 00:10:00
    >>

    > A fat lot of difference in the PPM print speed, er how long will it
    > take to print the work of Shakingspear... oops sorry
    > Shakespear....er Britannica Encylopedia ... any ideas how many ink
    > tanks I'll need ?

    I think Toms Hardware was the first online review that said 'take the
    manufacturers speed rating and then halve it'. Computer magazines have been
    saying that for longer. AT best it is a very small amount of text, it is in
    draft mode and the computer delay between clicking print and actual printing
    isn't included.

    > > Hell I would enjoy
    > >seeing any data sugesting that the ip4000 is faster then ip5000.

    > if you do not know that then you are really dumber than I give you credit for

    Sure.... i'm so dumb because I took the time to visit the canon usa
    site and read the speed specs, which are often best case scenero
    printing 1500chars in draft mode and saw that they were the same for
    black and color text and some how I'm dumb.

    Righto.

    >>1. The ip4000 is faster than the ip4200 and ip5000
    >read the canon site specs

    I did. Both say black 25ppm 17ppm color. ip4200 reads as 29/20
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=10439
    http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=117&modelid=10239

    Anyone who reads this sentance and taks the time to visit canon usa's
    website will read the same thing, and see that the ip4000 and ip5000
    are the same speed according to canon.

    Unless you mean boardless photo speed rating, but you were not very
    specific.

    > >2. Text is better with 1pl print heads
    > read pcmag review

    There is NO pcmag review of the ip4200 that I can see. Searching for
    ip4200 results in search tips cause it's not found. I asked a legit
    question, how does 1pl heads help text if they are not used in the
    black nozzles? This is not covered on this site.

    > without joking, matt why are you so damn stupid.

    Because someone disagrees with you doesn't make them stupid. You
    should know better. This is a form of emotional manipluation insecure
    people use in order to get other weak minded people to agree with you,
    and it is wrong.

    I read your statement and it didn't sound correct, so I took it upon my
    self to visit the canon usa site and read the specs for my self and for
    the most part the ip4000 and ip5000 were identical with the exception
    of 4x6. So your statement of the ip4000 being signifigantly faster
    seemed to be a lie so I called you on it. You could have at any time
    linked to a site that supported your position if you actually knew how
    to cut and paste urls.

    But respectfully I took your advice and looked for a pcmag review of
    the ip4200 and I can't find one. I looked for references to how 1pl
    heads improve text and I didn't see any. I must conclude that you are
    blind for yet again lying. Not that you have any credability in the
    first place. And with the upmost respect, I'm not the moron who was
    trying to point out that my information was flawd because I was quoting
    the european specs when I was clearly pointing out the North American
    specs.

    Pcmag is pretty worthless. For example they say in their ip5000 review
    that "Significantly, the iP5000 offers even better-quality text and
    graphics than the iP4000". Graphics I can see, it is after all higher
    resolution. Text I can not see.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer/20041025/printer-09.html
    Both the ip4000 and ip5000 have 320 black nozzles. They take up the
    same area so this would sugest that they are the same size. I fail to
    see how M. David Stone the writer of the ip5000 review could even
    sugest the ip5000 offered better text. In my eyes at 4point they look
    the same, in reality and on toms hardware. Only stupid people read
    pcmag and take what they say on face value, often times they are just
    talking out their ass. Morons see the 1pl and assume this would
    improve text when in reality is there 1pl nozzles for the pigment
    black? Are there?

    I await you to toss me a link to another worthless site I can debunk
    with ease.

    The ip4000 and ip5000 operate at roughly the same speed according to
    canon with the only exception being 4x6 photo. But as you made no
    reference to under what conditions the ip4000 was faster... well i'm
    not the one being stupid.

    Perhaps we need to actually get out of our chair and actually evaluate
    what the websites say for them self before making statements. It would
    help you to apear far less foolish in the future.

    In article <aQqZe.3842$Ba2.1467@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
    inkystinky@oem.com says...

    > Irwin Peckinloomer wrote:
    >
    > >In article <jIiZe.6350$6e1.4749@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>,
    > >inkystinky@oem.com says...
    > >

    > >>DO NOT LISTEN TO TONY DA TIGER AS HE IS IN DA BUSINESS AND CANNOT BE
    > >>TRUSTED.
    > >>

    > >Based on this kind of thinking, we should not listen to Canon, as they
    > >are REALLY "in da business"! What a doofus!
    > >

    > YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO YOUR PECKER BLOOMER

    Sorry, I guess that's just way too technical to make sense to me.

    In article <1127634018.177893.130470@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
    zakezuke_us@yahoo.com says...
    > > I think they slow down the printers for the brits to match their mind
    >
    > Two points
    >
    > 1. I am not british
    (snip)

    Don't be offended, measely thinks anyone who can write in English is
    British.
  25. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Don't be offended, measely thinks anyone who can write in English is
    > British.

    Actually I gave him flack for posting "you can get the ip4000 for $80
    at Frys" to someone who was clearly in the UK, to which I had three
    points.

    1. frys is a small chain in america in a handful of states
    2. many frys are out of stock of the ip4000 as it's been replaced
    3. a price that is only good in a retail store in a handful of shops
    in america does someone in the uk no good.

    For some reason just because I happened to know some of the prices of
    the printer in pounds he thought I was british. I guess this is normal
    as most people in america don't understand that there are a few nations
    in the united kingdom. The truth is when I was interested in replacing
    my r200 with a cd printing canon I considered ordering a ip3000 from
    the uk, the nearest english speaking nation. Silly me.
  26. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    ian lincoln wrote:

    >>>The ip4200 is the replacement for the ip3000/4000 the entry level
    >>>pixmas. The ip5200 is the replacement for the ip5000. It gets more
    >>>nozzles which would improve speed and likely image quality.
    >>>

    >>There are far, far too many numbers in your excellent explanation for
    >>measershithead to even come close to understanding or comprehending.
    >>I do suspect though that he'll understand one symbol, that of a middle
    >>finger held erect. :-)
    >>Frank
    >>

    >From a technological standpoint your reasoning is sound but from a marketing
    >point maybe not.
    >
    >For the ip4200 to replace both the 3000 and the 4000 what should its price
    >point be?

    IT IS $30 CHEAPER THAN THE IP4000 WHEN THAT MODEL FIRST CAME OUT. IT IS
    ON REBATE AT FRYS NOW AND THE PRICE IS ONLY $20. MORE THAN THE IP3000
    WHEN IT FIRST CAME OUT.

    >On a technological standpoint it is better than either so
    >obviously should cost more than either. On the other hand what do canon
    >have at the 3000 price point? One solution may be to price the 4200 between
    >the 3000 and 4000. I think comparing end of line prices may be misleading.
    >At the time of release what was the price of the 3000 and 4000? I think at
    >release in england the 4000 went for £149. It eventually dropped to £129
    >and stayed there. Towards the end of its life it dropped to 99.99 and then
    >there were rebate offers on top. I see one vendor selling for £118.99. It
    >depends on the 3000 prices to determine how good this is as a between 3000
    >and 4000. However at the moment it already looks good.

  27. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>ok da poles
    >>

    >What is your point. Polish printers are slower?

    NO IT IS JUST THEY COUNT SLOWER MR. MATT ZAKOWSKI

    >I don't think so.
    >You are full of it. You see you tried to say was that british printers
    >were slower, which is not true.

    NO THEY MISS A FEW BEATS WHEN THEY LOOK AT THOSE PRETTY BRIT GIRLS WITH
    THOSE CUTE ACCENTS. I WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY OF THOSE ON THIS NG.

    >A4 paper might be lightly longer which
    >would affect print times but 17.6mm. But the printer speed is the
    >same.
    >
    >Now if you have any data to back up your statement that the ip4200 is
    >slower than the ip4000 i'd be happy to see it.

    DO A COMPARISON ON THE CANON SITE

    > Hell I would enjoy
    >seeing any data sugesting that the ip4000 is faster then ip5000.

    IF YOU DO NOT KNOW THAT THEN YOU ARE REALLY DUMBER THAN I GIVE YOU
    CREDIT FOR.

    >Things you seem to be wrong on
    >
    >1. The ip4000 is faster than the ip4200 and ip5000

    READ THE CANON SITE SPECS

    >2. Text is better with 1pl print heads

    READ PCMAG REVIEW

    WITHOUT JOKING, MATT WHY ARE YOU SO DAMN STUPID.
  28. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > >I read your statement and it didn't sound correct, so I took it upon my
    > >self to visit the canon usa site and read the specs for my self and for
    > >the most part the ip4000 and ip5000 were identical with the exception
    > >of 4x6.

    > do one of their comparisons.
    > look at the time to print a 4x6 print. then report back. i do not think
    > you know your ass from a hole in the ground.

    With all due respect... you're the joker who said ip4200 printer was
    slower than ip4000 printer. You said nothing about about 4x6 until I
    mentioned it. I can only assume you are trying to cover you own ass
    for lying, misquoting, and misrepresenting the facts. Had you taken
    the time to quality your statement in the first place you would have
    appeared to be less foolish.

    You see, this is what you get aquiring your facts from pcmag. You end
    up making broad generalizations without facts, benchmarks without
    contrast, and you end up saying x is better with y without providing
    any reason as to why. I don't need to point out you were a total dumb
    ass, this is obvious to everyone under the sun. But i'm glad to see
    that you actually took the time to read what I wrote to end your
    ignorance in this issue. Perhaps in the future you'll get your facts
    right in the first place. You learned something... my job is done
    here.
  29. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    I know some of you rely upon me for emergency help when your printers
    clog or otherwise stop working, which they tend to do when you are on
    deadline.

    I attempt to answer your messages within 24-48 hours, typically.

    I wanted to inform anyone interested, that due to some travel plans, I
    will not be available to answer questions for 7-10 days, starting today.

    I apologize to those of you who may require assistance during that
    period, but I will be unable to respond to email during this period.

    I hope to start catch up on my return a week from today, but it may
    take several days to get through.

    Art
  30. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke wrote:

    >>Don't be offended, measely thinks anyone who can write in English is
    >>British.
    >>

    >Actually I gave him flack for posting "you can get the ip4000 for $80
    >at Frys" to someone who was clearly in the UK, to which I had three
    >points.
    >
    >1. frys is a small chain in america in a handful of states
    >2. many frys are out of stock of the ip4000 as it's been replaced
    >3. a price that is only good in a retail store in a handful of shops
    >in america does someone in the uk no good.
    >
    >For some reason just because I happened to know some of the prices of
    >the printer in pounds he thought I was british. I guess this is normal
    >as most people in america don't understand that there are a few nations
    >in the united kingdom. The truth is when I was interested in replacing
    >my r200 with a cd printing canon I considered ordering a ip3000 from
    >the uk, the nearest english speaking nation. Silly me.

    YEP
  31. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    This is a red card situation... end of conversation.

    You never learn do you?
  32. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > Could someone explain why inkjets make these ridiculous speed claims?
    > These numbers tend to be the theoretical speed at which a printer can
    > pass a piece of paper. They make all their other assumptions on a 5%
    > ink coverage, so I think something similar when it comes to speed would
    > be rather more honest.

    Actually I believe the test they are using is 1500 characters per page
    courier font 10cpi. This is worse than the 5% yield estimate, at least
    5% yield is damn close to a full piece of paper Tahoma 12pt font.

    But yes... basicly the theoretical speed, really close to passing paper
    straight through.
  33. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In message <1127606466.812855.149220@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    zakezuke <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> writes

    --
    Timothy
  34. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    me@privacy.net wrote:

    > In message <1127606466.812855.149220@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    > zakezuke <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> writes
    >
    >> Black: 25 ppm (approx. 2.4 seconds/page)*
    >> Color: 17 ppm (approx. 3.5 seconds/page)*
    >

    > Could someone explain why inkjets make these ridiculous speed claims?
    > These numbers tend to be the theoretical speed at which a printer can
    > pass a piece of paper. They make all their other assumptions on a 5%
    > ink coverage, so I think something similar when it comes to speed would
    > be rather more honest.

    I know what you mean. I see ads in the papers like... "will print a 4x6
    glossy photo in 14 seconds . . ." Yeah, right. But who prints photos in
    draft?!@%&...

    Done properly, a good photo is measured in minutes, not seconds. On my
    iP5000, for example, at maximum resolution - 9600 dpi (quality setting
    1), photo paper pro - it takes almost 4 minutes. But would Canon tell
    you that in an ad? Hell, no!

    -Taliesyn
  35. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > But when it comes to lasers they do tell the truth.

    Because it's the same speed to print nothing as something as it does to
    feed blank paper.
  36. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    [
    Quote:
    quote="ian lincoln
    I think Toms Hardware was the first online review that said 'take the

    manufacturers speed rating and then halve it'. Computer magazines
    have been
    saying that for longer.

    Thanks Ian, I wondered how long it would be before that was mentioned,
    is all this with front loading or top loading.....?

    Does not the quality and reliability come prior to print speed..?

    Gi mi a choice between say a Epson C62 and a Canon that prints with
    100% reliability at 8 ppm for example, I'll take the Canon.

    Davy
  37. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    In message <11jl4h6rqphjba1@corp.supernews.com>, Taliesyn
    <taliesyn4@netscape.net> writes
    >me@privacy.net wrote:
    >> In message <1127606466.812855.149220@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    >>zakezuke <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> writes
    >>> Black: 25 ppm (approx. 2.4 seconds/page)*
    >>> Color: 17 ppm (approx. 3.5 seconds/page)*
    >> Could someone explain why inkjets make these ridiculous speed
    >>claims? These numbers tend to be the theoretical speed at which a
    >>printer can pass a piece of paper. They make all their other
    >>assumptions on a 5% ink coverage, so I think something similar when
    >>it comes to speed would be rather more honest.
    >I know what you mean. I see ads in the papers like... "will print a 4x6
    >glossy photo in 14 seconds . . ." Yeah, right. But who prints photos in
    >draft?!@%&...
    >Done properly, a good photo is measured in minutes, not seconds. On my
    >iP5000, for example, at maximum resolution - 9600 dpi (quality setting
    >1), photo paper pro - it takes almost 4 minutes. But would Canon tell
    >you that in an ad? Hell, no!

    But when it comes to lasers they do tell the truth.

    eg: my Canon colour copier/printer claims to do 7 pages a minute and it
    does (once it starts).

    --
    Timothy
  38. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    > zakezukewrote:

    > Pcmag is pretty worthless. For example they say in their ip5000
    review
    > that "Significantly, the iP5000 offers even better-quality text and
    > graphics than the iP4000". Graphics I can see, it is after all
    higher
    > resolution. Text I can not see.

    All reviews are worthless and should only be used as a guide the best
    ones are the user's and 'hands on' experience, one good reason for
    this is that a printer is used for all sorts of purposes, on all
    sorts of media.

    Not only PC Mag claims that there are others. The text document
    compared to a friend of mine who owns a ip4000 does look cleaner and
    less feathering with the ip5000.

    This was discovered after I did a text doc. for him which ended up
    trying my paper on his machine and printing the same document - all
    with OEM inks and the two machines use the same inks.

    The print quality only holds true with Canon media and inks changing
    either alters the gaol post entirely.

    Dunno who said-:
    "I think they slow down the printers for the brits to match their
    mind", I suggest that person leaves the ink alone, perhaps the fumes
    are a little too strong.

    Davy
  39. Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

    zakezuke aka Matt Zakowski wrote:

    BUT NOW HE DOES NOT WANT TO ADMIT WHO HE IS. HE IS EXPOSED AND DOES NOT
    LIKE IT.

    >>But when it comes to lasers they do tell the truth.
    >>

    >Because it's the same speed to print nothing as something as it does to
    >feed blank paper.

Printers Pixma Canon Peripherals Product