deviantdave

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
Hi all,

I have recently bought two N5200 Nas storage servers for my company. One will act as a local file server with the other being stored offsite acting as a remote backup, using the Nsync protocol.

I have a couple of questions to anyone who has used the N5200 or similar.

Firstly, does it not support ssh at all? Can't find anything at the Thecus' homepage about it and it would be really handy.

Secondly when I try to use the Nsync function to backup my data it returns the following status' in order.

Start VPN - Ok that makes sense.
Filename - I assume this is the current file in transit.
Acl Setting - Not a clue, must be something to do with setting folder permissions.

It never completes the task, it basically gets to Acl Setting and stays there.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks very much

Dave

revo

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2006
Hi all,

Firstly, does it not support ssh at all? Can't find anything at the Thecus' homepage about it and it would be really handy.

Secondly when I try to use the Nsync function to backup my data it returns the following status' in order.

Start VPN - Ok that makes sense.
Filename - I assume this is the current file in transit.
Acl Setting - Not a clue, must be something to do with setting folder permissions.

It never completes the task, it basically gets to Acl Setting and stays there.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks very much

Dave

This box has a ssh daemon on port 22. But seems they use it only for their troubleshooting only. The Nsync never works for me neither. It times out after a long while on all files larger than 64k. Especially a problem since we have some large files to backup. We resorted to performing the backup on the host, and just copying it from one NAS to the other. SUCKS!!! God knows why the built this feature if it doesn't work!!! What a loser company. Make something that doesn't work as advertised.