Motherboards for Kentsfield

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Woo!!! Finally!!! Let's hope Intel can stick with what it says!!! I don't feel like replacing me $XXX motherboard just to get Quad Core!!!

Other than that, anyone else find anything more about this topic???

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
lol! I knew I forgot something! I meant to put the link up. But it was too early in the morning for me and I was excited to see that my mobo will support kentsfield. However, one thing does call to my attention and that is, the new C2Q that gets released within 1-2 months, well, um, wasn't it only running at 1066 MHz on the FSB or was it 1333 MHz. Because, the motherboards right now are only "suppose" to be doing 1066 MHz on the FSB. HOWEVER, I've been able to push my FSB up to 1400+ MHz.

Any insight on this?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
is there any insurance that the current motherboards won't need revisions? For example, when the Intel 975X BadAxe came out, it "supposedly" would support Core 2 Duo AFTER a certain revision, but no one knew till recently.

P.S. I might have gotten that wrong. Don't quote me on that.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
My fault. I was actually referring to my motherboard and not towards the masses. But yes, I saw that Gigabyte requires revision and the ASUS ones didn't. I just have a bad feeling though that my motherboard won't support it when C2Q comes out just because of Intel's past. Then again, they have learned from the past once (i.e. they relized netburst was inefficient, therefore implemented something better into the Core 2), so I hope they'll do the same with C2Q.

Then again, if AMD didn't implement the memory controller into their CPUs, would the S754 motherboards be able to run dual channel?

Sadly, I still like using my A64 3200 Newcaste @ 2.2GHz w/ 2 Gig Corsair XMS 2-3-3-6, GeForce 6800 128 MB DDR, and WD 200 SATA computer due to the fact that Windows boots up faster than my C2D computer and things feel like they run smoother :( But when it comes down to gaming, my Athlon 64 can't compete with the signature below.

d@mn the computer industry and internet!!! I'm never going to save money!!! I'll be in my 80s living off of crumbs while still playing with computers. Hopefully, I'll have a suga momma before then 8) :p

Sorry for getting off topic and ranting on...

chuggit

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
While watching the nForce 590 forum, watching everyone waiting for that board and reasoning why it's not on the market yet I read about the new C2Q coming out in November. Also, curiously enough, Intel will be (so they say) releasing their new 975BX2 board in November, seemingly in harmony like a couple of pretty girls tying the knot and letting me play too. Oh ok, back to the original thought; what are you guys reading about this board? And, have you compared the Asus nForce 590 to the Intel BX2?

I build an new computer every 4-5 years and I am now getting ready to get ready to build another. Each time it's to last another 4-5 years. Hopefully longer but, kidding aside. I'll probably wait for the Kentsfield, if money and time weren't the issue, which of these boards would you match up with the Kentsfield? And, do you think the new quad will be worth the money compared to the extreme now on the market, (with it's price declining)?

Thanks

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I would have gotten an nForce 590, but after the delays, I grew impatient and just ordered the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe and I must say, it exceded my expectations! It came with pretty much the same stuff the nForce has, except it has a remote, but does not have the dual link burst technology, but I can live without that. Another issues is overclocking. If you google ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, you'll see that it's one of the best overclockers compared to nVidia's motherboards. Which was another reason why I got it. Lastly, looking at my signature, and as wusy states, it will be C2Q and I'd believe it seeing that I've pushed my FSB on it over 1400MHz!!!

When it comes down though whether to get Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad, is totally up to you! Depends on how much you want to spend and how much of a hardcore user you are. This computer is my main computer and I use it for school/gaming (mainly gaming :oops: ) and couldn't be happier. I've only had it for a month, so I'm still trying to figure out if it was worth it. My last computer, which I still have was this:

AMD 64 3200 @ 2.2GHz w/Zalman CNPS7000B
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
2 GB Corsair XMS 400 @ 2-3-3-6 @ 2.7V
PNY GeForce 6800 (stock) w/ NV5 Silencer
WD 250GB
WD 200GB
Seagate 80GB
Sony CD-RW
NEC DVD-RW DL
NEC Floppy Drive
Ultra X-Connect 500 WATT PSU
Thermaltake Shark Case

And this computer boots and loads windows faster than my current computer, but that may be my fault. But when it comes to multitasking, my old computer can't touch my new one!

As of now:

ASUS P5W DH Deluxe (BIOS 1405)
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ stock
Corsair XMS2 6400C4 @ 800MHz 4-4-4-12
ATI X1900XT @ stock settings
Seagate 160 Gig SATA 2 <~ OS
Western Digital 250 Gig SATA 2 <~ "Data" :twisted:
NEC Dual Layer DVD Burner
NEC Floppy Drive <~ I don't think this will ever be obsolete! :p
Antec P180B Case
OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply

It does the job well! Was able to do 2 virus scans and still game without a hiccup!

My AMD would lag if virus scan done in the background!

For me, I build a computer about every 2 years :oops:

If you're a gamer, wait for C2Q if you can, or just get a 975X chipset mobo and the E6300 or Pentium D to hold you out till it comes out :wink:

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
The reason why people are waiting for nForce590 SLI Intel Edition in that stupid thread is because they want to get ripped off by SLI support. That's the only reason why they're waiting for it.
Any newest high-end generation single card in history and in future can beat 2x of the previous gen. latest high-end card. As too goes for 2x mid-end card compared to 1x high-end card of same gen.
SLI=extremely low performance/$

Those ill informed people are willing give up overclocking (even with the introduction of C55XE IE) all for the sake of SLI support which they might not even use. And when they do use it they fall into the marketing trap.

word 8)

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
My apologies. I was trying to refer to the ethernet technology on it. If that helps. You hook up both ethernet ports to your router and it automatically figures out which packets have the highest priority and let's those go, and the ones with lower priority get sent through slowly

i = important packet o = other packets

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii oooooooooooooo
| i |
| i |
| i |
| i |
| o |
| o |
| i |
| i |
| i |
| i |

hope that helps explain what I was talking about, about the nVidia mobos

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
This is directed towards wusy

this is off topic, but quick question. is liquid cooling not good for overclocks? All the ones you've listed are air coolers and this question might have already been answered, but if you don't mind =[ I just ordered a Thermaltake CL-W0065 Silent Water All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooling System and was just curious. I'm not much of an overclocker. The main reason I ordered this was because my CPU, with speedstep and C1E enable idles at 45C and maxes out at 70C and was hoping to lower that. But yea...

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
hmm... I guess this weekend, I'll uninstall the catalyst and just install the "required" graphics drivers and see how it works. I just wish there was a way for the BIOS to load faster! My old ASUS K8N-E Deluxe flies through it like a champ. And I've already tried multiple things to increase load time from the BIOS, but so far, no luck. But oh well. My computer stays on 24/7 anyways... except for when Window updates or software requires reboot -.-. I love how on linux, you can just log out and log right back on after installing and updating stuff... eerr... at least for the SMALL amount of time I used it (used it for a month until I felt like playing games and didn't want to mess with Cedega. this was back when i only had 1 hard drive). but yea...

ugh, I'm getting off topic.

ANY OTHER NEWS ABOUT C2Q AND MOTHERBOARD SUPPORT?! :D

chuggit

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
"the marketing trap." Yeah, that's what I felt it was too. I've seen sheep follow a blind dog.

Yesterday Anand posted this article and helped me make up my mind about which cpu to purchase. Lol, spose the price will match too?

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2846

They also tested the quad with the 975BX2. I wished there were more info on this board, unlike the reference 590 board that got many reveiws, I haven't found any on the BX2. Do you fellas know anymore about than I do?

I meant Quad-SLI, 975X can already do SLI with trick

Quad SLI is some serious gaming bucks too. With DX10 coming out it's already obsolete isn't it?

Meet you at the bar fellas, I'm buying.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
um, the BX2 is in the making and if I remember correctly from an article, won't be released till Kentsfield is released. As far as Quad SLI goes, to be honest, why?

DX10 will be out the day Vista is out which, HOPEFULLY, isn't too far. For me, I game, so I went ahead and got a X1900XT 512 GDDR3. I mean, you can't beat that for $330, can you? I know nVidia's 7900GT is cheaper, but after seeing forums about them having issues and hearing my friend, who had one, I decided to stick with ATI X1900XT. I'm sure it'll run Vista just fine. Have yet to get another hard drive to test it.

if you want SLI, go for it. Just note, DX10 is coming soon. However, as some stated, it'll probably not be used to it's full potential until next year Q4 2007, which hopefully by then, many game programmers will implement it into their code. Once again, up to you.

chuggit

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
Even my uber-budget loop which matches the performance of a $400 loop, it's still $160 plus $20 for tubing I've yet to buy.

Everytime I read Intel's cooling requirements they state that their fan is all thats needed, plus a well ventilating case. Is watercooling a given only for OC'ing? Here in the desert it gets pretty hot and with swamp cooling it can seem like a desert in the house too, argh. So, I just answered my own question, lol.

Thermaltake CL-W0065 Silent Water All-in-One CPU Liquid Cooling System

How well does this cooling kit work for you?

chuggit

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
um, the BX2 is in the making and if I remember correctly from an article, won't be released till Kentsfield is released. As far as Quad SLI goes, to be honest, why?

Oh no, don't get me wrong. Im in the same camp as wusy, it's all a marketing ploy.

I was trying to get insight into the new BX2. I was leaning towards the C2Extreme but now leaning towards the quad. And, the BX2. You're right also in stating they will both be released in November. There just isn't much out there about the mobo.

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Wusy: jeez, thanks for bursting my bubble! :p

chug, I just ordered the water cooler today. I got 2nd Day Fedex for $2.99! :D

I'll hopefully have it installed my Wednesday as of next week and will report back on how well it does. And don't get me wrong, Intel coolers aren't bad, but they aren't great. If you overclock, get an aftermarket cooler. The intel coolers are designed for the processor's stock speed, not it's "overdrive" (taken from ATI's, hey, I quote it, no copyright violation here, right? :? ) speed :p It's just, I'm aiming for a quiet PC and it's quiet difficult when your fan runs at 2500RPM and only does "decent" cooling. Like I said, I build a computer every 2 years, give or take, and I'd like this one not to burn up on me too soon. Next is the ATI cooler... I love the design... just not the fan. Tried the ATI tool and lowering it to 18% throttle on the fan caused the temp to just up to 65C (10C higher than what it normally is on stock). So yea, I'm slowly working on it.

Side note: If you get the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, be sure to redo the NB and SB heatsinks. My mobo temp reads 41C! Thinking about just ripping the ones on the mobo out and placing some Thermaltake CL-C0034 40mm Blue LED Light Northbridge Cooling Fan/Heatsink(s) on them to see if that helps.

chuggit

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2006
X1900GT/XT is ATI. the GT is a slim down version of the X1900XT which is a slower version of the X1900XTX. get all of that?

:) Yup, thanks Eura.

But, I think I'm going to stick to my old all in wonder until Vista comes out. Maybe by that time the BX2 (975BX2 :) ) will be out, the quad will be out and then, by it all in one shot.

Hey Wusy, are you excited about this board?

Eurasianman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
I'd only see excitement if Intel fixed their stupid BIOS crash system. With ASUS, the BIOS is pretty much Crashfree when overclocking. With Intel, get ready to take the side panel off and get a needle nose plier as well as flash light to reset the CMOS x.x Myabe Intel will be nice and fix that issue :D