Is It Worth It? -- Controller Bay

jorberg

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Hey Everybody,
I'm going to soon order the P180B from Newegg, and I was looking to get a front bay card-reader with a couple Firewire and USB ports to help out when I'm transfering video stuff. Here's what I was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811995010
(I know its out of stock, but I would order it from somewhere else)

My question is: How difficult are these things to install? I've never used one of these, so I'm just wondering. I'm probably going to order the ABIT AW9D pretty soon, so that's the motherboard I'll be using with it. Also, I'm not exactly sure of which bay to purchase. This one looked pretty nice, and its brand-name. It had all the things I was looking for.

Does anybody have something different that they would recommend?

What do you think -- is it worth it?

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Hey Everybody,
I'm going to soon order the P180B from Newegg, and I was looking to get a front bay card-reader with a couple Firewire and USB ports to help out when I'm transfering video stuff. Here's what I was looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811995010
(I know its out of stock, but I would order it from somewhere else)

My question is: How difficult are these things to install? I've never used one of these, so I'm just wondering. I'm probably going to order the ABIT AW9D pretty soon, so that's the motherboard I'll be using with it. Also, I'm not exactly sure of which bay to purchase. This one looked pretty nice, and its brand-name. It had all the things I was looking for.

Does anybody have something different that they would recommend?

What do you think -- is it worth it?

Seems reasonable for $40. What does it plug into... Is it all driven off a single internal USB?
If thats true the firewire might not be as fast as one striaght of the motherboard... but maybe they have a seperate connector for internal firewire...

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I second that idea. What I would suggest is to get a 3.5" floppy drive with multi-card reader. Even if no one uses floppy anymore, its always nice to have it on hand in the off chance you ever do need one. You already have front USB and firewire, so your already well off.

The controller should plug into motherboards internal headers. If not, then it'll be routed through the back which is a pain, but eh.