2GHz HyperTransport???? on nForce4?

Strike-2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Hey all!

Can anyone please explain to me the current state of FSB in Socket939?

I've been through AMD and nVidia's documentation and am thoroughtly confused

AMD says that HyperTransport runs at upto 800 MHz and is 2 - 32 bits wide
AMD Specifications
(OK, clear so far)

nVidia says that its motherboard uses a 1GHz FSB
nVidia Specifications
(okay, a 200 MHz upgrade maybe..., or perhaps 2x500MHz....)

Then I come accross sites that say their motherboard has a 2GHz FSB!
Some people say that this is simply the effective speed (DDR/16-bit?)
Others say this is the aggregate speed of using 2 unidirectional pipes
But there are those that simply say 2GHz 8O

Some sites also claim the same for the FX3500+ Venice CPU!

I am now thoroughly confused...

Can anyone please explain to me the current state of FSB in Socket939 boards and what would be a good choice?
I am hoping to buy a 3500+ now and upgrade to a Dual later.

Strike-2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
AHA! So I'm not crazy! (yet)
(amazing quick reply, BTW)

Can I assume that x4 and x5 imply a multiplier and that by double-pumping they imply rising/falling-edge?

Does the 2GHz om 3500+ refer to double-pumped?

(Yes, I have indeed studied for this crap, I simply haven't kept up)

Strike-2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Maybe we should ask one of the TH people to write an article and explain it once and for all.

If I hear 3 people have 3 different ideas on how it works, something has gone horribly wrong with AMD/nVidia's marketing/tech department

What happened to the good'ole FBXxMulti days?

theaxemaster

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Maybe we should ask one of the TH people to write an article and explain it once and for all.

If I hear 3 people have 3 different ideas on how it works, something has gone horribly wrong with AMD/nVidia's marketing/tech department

What happened to the good'ole FBXxMulti days?

It is still here (sort of), it is 200MHz x 5 = 1GHz. MT/s (the number that is twice the size of the other one) is NOT equal to MHz. s754 ran at 800MHz, s939/AM2 runs at 1GHz (but is backwards compatible with 800MHz for those cheap sempron chips). "Quad pumped" is intel's deal, not AMD. It is 1GHz. Does that clear it up?

wingmaster

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I thought it was a point to point link 1000mhz each way to and from = 2000mhz. Seems everyone here is linking it to DDR memory. Think its the bandwidth to and from the point to point link. nothing to do with DDR memory.

Strike-2

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
What confuses me about the HT thing is the idea of a multiplier.

(Crap, I just read that link on the page above after writing this)
Read on only if you're interested in the history and a description of Computer Architecture)

Computer Architecture 101:
In the 'old pentium days' the multiplier was the ratio of the system bus' speed vs. the CPU's speed.
The RAM ran at the same speed as the system bus and was directly accessible from that bus.

Bus Speed:
Just to get the basics out of the way.
A bus is a set of data lines and a clock line.
(Sometimes the data lines are divided between data and address lines)
Every time the clock line turns from 0 to 1 (the rising edge), a set of bits can be read off the bus.
(usually, the data is 'set' to the bus when the clock goes from 1 to 0, the falling edge)
The System Bus in PentiumII's was usually between 233 and 300 MHz
The old 386'es ran at 33 MHz.
So did their System Bus
And their RAM
This was all right, for a while...

Bus Multipliers:
This all started with the 486 DX2-66
The system could manage 50 MHz (DX-50), but running the system at 66 MHZ was simply not possible at the time.
The solution:
The CPU ran at an internal speed of 66 MHz and communicated with the rest of the system at 33 MHz.
The 33 MHz bus speed was internally Multiplied to 66 MHz, keeping the CPU 'in sync' with the rest of the system.
If your chip runs at 1GHz and you have a 200 MHz bus, the chip will read the bus clock and internally multiply it by 5 (this is called PLL, or Phase Locked Loop)
This means, that the chip will only be able to communicate with the outside world once every 5 clock cycles.
If it wants to send 5 'blocks' of data, it will take a total of 25 (5x5) clock cycles.

Bus Width
In order to lower that performance impact of waiting 5 cycles for a byte to arrive, designers decided to transmit several bytes at the same time.
This was an expensive (lots of copper traces), but effective trick.
A 64-bit bus means 8 bytes of data per clock cycle)

Latency
In the old world, the memory controller was on the other side of that System Bus.
Getting a block of data took at least 10 cycles (back and forth).
That delay is called latency.
If the CPU ran out of instructions and needs to get the new ones out of RAM, it has to twiddle its thumbs for at least those 10 cycles.
This latency was what prompted AMD to stick the Memory controller (the chip on te CPU that talked to the RAM and handled all the buffering between them) on the CPU and give the CPU a direct connection to the memory controller, eliminating that System Bus.

DDR
DDR (Double Date Rate) was achieved by pushing data on the rising and falling edge of the clock cycle.
This, effectively, doubles the data rate.

How PC3200 DDR RAM gets its name
So, how does 200 MHz memory become 3200?
For starters, the RAM pushes at both the rising and falling edge, producing 400M 'sets of data' per second.
Because the RAM is 64 bits wide, it can transmit 8 Bytes per 'set of data'
This translates to 400*8 = 3200 Bytes per second.

?HyperTransport?
Now, if you run your 1GHz HyperTransport bus at a 5x multiplier, you will only have a 200 MHz bus between your chips (because it gers divided by 5 on the way out).
This would defy the purpose of having a SuperSpeedy bus between your CPU's if it only runs at an effective speed of 200 MHz

So, that's why I want to know how the 5x200 MHz thing works.

My guess is, that the HyperTransport runs at 1GHz between the CPU's and gets divided by 5 when it reaches the RAM, which runs at 200 MHz (DDR 'makes it' 400 MHz)

Side Note:
AMD Opteron CPU's actually have 3 HyperTransport buses:
One to communicate with the System Bus
Two to communicate with eachother
Operons in a multi-CPU machine can literally read eachother's memory at full speed.
Because RAM runs at a fraction of the HyperTransport bus, a CPU can literally read several CPU's worth of RAM simultaneously.