Recording live music...

thetanman

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Anybody have advice as to what mp3 player/other option might work with my current microphone (plugs into audio jack)? Currently I plug it into a mini-disc recorder, but am wanting to move to something with a hard drive. iPod won't work without proprietary gear, right? Also, must be able to transfer back to computer.

Sorry, I was going to post this in Consumer Electronics, but no one's in there... :roll:

Spiv

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
I think the Creative Zens let you record....but it will still compress it. They're expensive, but what about a digital recording thing? I don't know if thye make them small, but you can get a little 4-track one at Guitar Center or a similar store. Full .wav recording.

nobly

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
Anybody have advice as to what mp3 player/other option might work with my current microphone (plugs into audio jack)? Currently I plug it into a mini-disc recorder, but am wanting to move to something with a hard drive. iPod won't work without proprietary gear, right? Also, must be able to transfer back to computer.
I've been looking for something like that for years!
I had a MD player too, which really was nice... except when you wanted to transfer it to your computer.

You can try to find a MP3 recorder - something akin to the iRiver devices or something similar. The problem is that usually its good enough for voice, but only adequate for music. I had an MP3 recorder but it required a pre-amp'd mic. I think its called a RipFlash or something. The problem w/ that was is that it isn't as stable as I would like. Sometimes it craps out and you have to reformat the memory. Not sure they even make them anymore.

Don't try the iPod crap they sell, its horrible. Lots of background noise, etc.
I can't really recommend anything for music... Its just because I haven't found anything! Its always too low of a sampling rate or too low of a bitrate. :(