• software issue

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • voodoo

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

hialeah05

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Since last night i've been having this problem with my comp. My screensaver was on and i moved my mouse to jump back. Then , my comp froze showing a destop with no wallpaper. I thought nothing of it a switched off. Back on this morning and it happens again, only this time i'm running a norton scan, and boom, HDD sounds briefly and then my mouse moves but nothing reacts.
SO i system restored to 2 days ago before all this. Then all is well and HDD makes noise and locks up again.

ANy ideas.

Update.
System crashed since I posted this and when it started up it said in a box labeled Windows Registry Recovery "One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy."

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
Look like there's some softwares issue. Check your registry, check your startup programs, check what is running on the background. Could be there's spyware or something like that.

hialeah05

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
i ran adaware, and Norton AV, system is clean. tried out HD sentinel (heard it was reliable) and says my HDD's have 100% health and functionality. I am so fucking lost.

aequalsb

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
what kind of computer do you have.

If your hard drive old it is probably failing. We need to know the specs of your puter..

Tertius001

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
I've had similar issues. One of my harddrives makes a click and then a whir like it is spinning down and my system freezes. I hit the reboot button and everything is fine. Twice I've had a series of days where this happened multiple times, but otherwise my system is fine. It hasn't done it in a month or two (knock wood). I kind of thought it might have been a power saving problem or something, but now I am voting voodoo.

I will watch this thread with interest though.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
Since last night i've been having this problem with my comp. My screensaver was on and i moved my mouse to jump back. Then , my comp froze showing a destop with no wallpaper. I thought nothing of it a switched off. Back on this morning and it happens again, only this time i'm running a norton scan, and boom, HDD sounds briefly and then my mouse moves but nothing reacts.
SO i system restored to 2 days ago before all this. Then all is well and HDD makes noise and locks up again.

ANy ideas.

Update.
System crashed since I posted this and when it started up it said in a box labeled Windows Registry Recovery "One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy."

Hdd failure

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drives manufacture and run a complete test.

If the hard drive passes then most likely your hard drive lies elsewhere.

Also if the drive is poorly ventilated then it could be overheating which can cause a drive to temporarily malfunctions.

Might as well run prime 95 and memtest 86 while you are at it, and maybe Sandra's burn in wizzard.

hialeah05

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
sorry took so long to reply, puter's not running well I have to use the one's at school most of the time. I boots but I'll be damned if it's slow, more time efficient to use em at school.

I have an intel P4 2.8 800MHz bus, 1 Gb DDR 333, abit G17 I believe, 1 sata 250 HDD (running fine), 1 seagate barracuda 120 GB ATA 133 HDD with 2 partitions a 10 GB (C: drive) with windows and vitals, another with rest of space and used as storage.
the seagate barracuda seems to be the failing drive. As stated above the reasons why I believe it to be failing.

I'm gonna try the manfacturer's diagnostic tools, obviously at the website.

ANy more useful info is appreciated.

hialeah05

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
btw what the hell is prime 95, seems liek a tool to connect to a network to find the merseene 100,000 digit prime number.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
btw what the hell is prime 95, seems liek a tool to connect to a network to find the merseene 100,000 digit prime number.

It is. However, Prime95's algorithms are so good at exercising every section of the processor and cache that many people (especially overclockers) use it as a system stress test. (There is a menu option in the program for "Stress Testing" instead of finding prime numbers.)

If your system can run Prime95 for several hours with no errors, you have validated your chosen clock and bus speeds (for overclockers), your processor, your cache, and your cooling solutions/thermal management.