Sign in with
Your question

Pics of G80?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 29, 2006 6:40:43 PM
September 29, 2006 7:13:05 PM

Jesus, that cooler is Huge! And the length too........ Like mplich said, maybe it is ready for watercooling. Looks insane, but Im still going with the R600 :D 
September 29, 2006 7:15:58 PM

Yea, looks nice, (and huge 8O ). Too bad we can't really confirm it.
Related resources
September 29, 2006 7:27:34 PM

... I think I saw a 5000W subaru power generator a couple of weeks ago for $1500. Looks like I'm going need to get that for those 2 cards.
September 29, 2006 7:50:00 PM

I have plenty of room for that baby in my Kandalf.

But I see that it has 2 pcie power connectors...so I'm guessing that in order to run this beast in sli mode you will need a psu that has 4 pcie power connectors. (you know, the ones that say Quad sli ready)
September 29, 2006 8:00:12 PM

Looks like it has 2 power connectors. If that's the case then hopefully it shouldn't require more power than SLI or Crossfire.
a b U Graphics card
September 29, 2006 8:05:04 PM

Quote:

So when do we draw the line on too much power needed?

As long as it adds benifits, it won't matter 300W or 500W, the time when enthusiasts might need to rethink things is when booting their computer causes brown-outs in their neighbourhood.

This water + air combo cooler is pretty ridiculous man.

I like the way sapphire did it because you could make it a single slot assembly and move the radiator, this looks to be 2-3 slot and THEN the watercooling assembly.

Well if that assembly gets insane clocks it'll be worth it for many, I'm just hoping there's some good laptop trickle down from ATi and nV, the MRX1700 and GO7700 are a little dissapointing.
September 29, 2006 8:41:14 PM

This stuff's all getting crazy. I'm getting either an 8600GT or a 2600XT :) 
September 29, 2006 9:28:33 PM

Quote:
This stuff's all getting crazy. I'm getting either an 8600GT or a 2600XT :) 
is there andy prices been released on those yet?
September 29, 2006 9:32:33 PM

No.

We don't know price, release date, specs, nothing. :( 
September 29, 2006 9:43:03 PM

Here, relieve yourselves, high quality psu's at an affordable price. Perfect for the G80 and R600's.

Nanopoint PSU 1100 watt (Brand new psu, no reviews yet)
-Comes inside leather case.
-Coolest cable job ever
-Dual Transformer (first of it's kind)
-Quad SLI
-100% Hi-Pot Tested
-Short circuit protection on all outputs
-Over Current Protection
-Over Voltage Protection
->80%
-4 12V rails at 20amps each.
http://tinyurl.com/zvkhp
$259.99
Newegg took it off the site for the time being
-OR-

Enermax Galaxy ega1000ewl
-5 12v rails @ 17amps each
-Over Current Protection
-Over Voltage Protection
->85%
-Modular
http://tinyurl.com/jfv86
$349.99
September 29, 2006 9:56:07 PM

Quote:
Well i guess we can confirm this baby will be power hungry. It might be safe to say this thing will need over 25A. Kind of a scary thought.

1.21 Jiggawatts.
September 29, 2006 10:01:04 PM

Oh man, you know how friggin sweet it would be to have a flux capacitor in your computer.
a c 107 U Graphics card
September 29, 2006 10:04:22 PM

Quote:
Well i guess we can confirm this baby will be power hungry. It might be safe to say this thing will need over 25A. Kind of a scary thought.

1.21 Jiggawatts.

all you need is a bolt of lightning....no biggie
a c 107 U Graphics card
September 29, 2006 10:06:23 PM

Quote:
Oh man, you know how friggin sweet it would be to have a flux capacitor in your computer.

don't give away Intel's next idea... :) 
The new time machine CPU.....stuff is done before you knew you wanted to do it.....
September 29, 2006 10:14:48 PM

Well the next thing we are going to have to do is upgrade our outlets we plug into to a isolated ground 20amp receptical with a transient voltage surge supresser. 8O
September 29, 2006 10:41:33 PM

Quote:

1.21 Jiggawatts.

Or a little plutonium. By now it should be available at your local convenience store, so you could just go down and pick some up.
September 29, 2006 10:45:39 PM

I think it'll work on my case/mobo.:) 

But will my PSU be able to sustain it... I do have about 310Ws unused (w/o a GPU) so if these new GPUs do need 300W, then I should barely make it. But I doubt it.
September 29, 2006 11:07:48 PM

Quote:
Well you can forget about using those cards in a mATX case.

Yea, that'll make a helluva bulge in the back of my laptop.

Fried cajones too.
September 29, 2006 11:49:34 PM

Thats one obese looking video card.

:sniffle:
-Jeff
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 12:39:45 AM

Yeah, When we need an electrician to wire up a dedicated 20 amp circuit for our gaming machines, then they have gone too far with power consumption. Imagine the future power requiresments for LAN parties. 8O
September 30, 2006 12:45:50 AM

ok.. how big is the power brick... ill start making room for it now.. it better not be as big as the Xbox360 ones.. thats literally a brick...
September 30, 2006 12:53:06 AM

Quote:

What makes you think I don't have one in my rig? I have 2 problems, keeping it cool and finding more Plutonium. 8)
September 30, 2006 1:57:37 AM

I'm just hoping mid-range cards will post respectable numbers. That's too much card and heatsink for my liking.
September 30, 2006 2:31:11 AM

Is that thing real?! I mean look at that beast requiring 2 pcie power supply! What kind of core is it running. !? 8O
September 30, 2006 2:34:35 AM

90nm G80!
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 2:44:44 AM

So is that a little speaker above the fan power connector? Is it a temp alarm or just for beeping error codes? :tongue:
September 30, 2006 2:52:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah, When we need an electrician to wire up a dedicated 20 amp circuit for our gaming machines, then they have gone too far with power consumption. Imagine the future power requiresments for LAN parties. 8O

You would have to apply for a permit from the government before the LAN party.
September 30, 2006 3:12:43 AM

Quote:
So is that a little speaker above the fan power connector? Is it a temp alarm or just for beeping error codes? :tongue:

I think it's a thief deterent, since this thing would cost so much so might as put a security alarm for it. Man, that means you would have to get a 1Kwatt psu to get this babies to run dual.
September 30, 2006 3:15:28 AM

Quote:

Why!? So you could travel back in time and hit on your mom? Gross ( puke patuwee) :tongue: Or play BF2 10 minutes ago.
September 30, 2006 5:48:22 AM

Two power connectors AND necessary water-cooling? Mother of mercy. But this pic does seem legit. I compared it to pics of all other cards that look anything like it (7900GTX/GT/GX2, 7950GT/GX2, etc.). Its circuitry looks unique.

But this seems sure to usher in a glorious era for Koolance and Danger Den :p  .
September 30, 2006 5:58:54 AM

Quote:
Imagine the future power requiresments for LAN parties. 8O

Imagine unscrupulous lanparty hosts that set up power distribution controls to give selective brownout lag penalties to their victims...
September 30, 2006 7:09:05 AM

Quote:

1.21 Jiggawatts.

Or a little plutonium. By now it should be available at your local convenience store, so you could just go down and pick some up.

Nah i prefer the lightning bolt, just set it into perpetual motion!
a b U Graphics card
September 30, 2006 12:47:48 PM

Quote:
I think it's a thief deterent

LOL, Sweet it's got integrated Lojack.
September 30, 2006 1:18:10 PM

Who gives a crap about how much power it needs. If your a hardcore gamer then u will be willing to buy one without a care in the world about how much power the thing uses.
September 30, 2006 1:45:27 PM

I believe that power consumption is a big deal.

If ATI and nVidia both release cards with the same level of gaming performance I will pick the card with the least power consumption over all.

I'm not saying I'd pick a slower card simply because it uses less power. But I would consider all my options.

I consider power consumptions 2nd to performance and will choose a card based on that as well.

lol How long until we need a dedicated circuit for our computers (like we have for dryers) :?:

Just my two cents.
-Jeff
September 30, 2006 5:34:20 PM

Actually, large cards are not a recent fad. Google images of the 3dfx Voodoo 5500. Believe it or not, that card was even larger by about an inch. Of course, that card DID integrate two processors and all, but hey. It's still bigger.
September 30, 2006 10:13:11 PM

I don't doubt it and I do indeed see a market for it.

I'm just hoping they can put out ATI x2600XT and 8600GT class processors that won't require a small nuclear power plant to operate. 8O

-Jeff
September 30, 2006 10:19:22 PM

maybe.. just maybe... AMD will influence ATI to make their next next generation chips be super efficient and i can finally have a pc with a 300w psu again... Under 100w would be very nice.. (without sacroficing performance of course..) a 50 dollar premium would be well worth it.
September 30, 2006 10:20:40 PM

I agree
September 30, 2006 10:31:08 PM

Quote:

Why!? So you could travel back in time and hit on your mom? Gross ( puke patuwee) :tongue: Or play BF2 10 minutes ago.

That could load any computer in miliseconds. Probably a lot less :D 
September 30, 2006 11:27:07 PM

I find it funny how both CPU manufactures have both managed to make faster processors whilst using less power. In fact the amount of power a budget end Core 2 Allendale uses is comparable to the original Pentium 1. Why can’t the video card makers make there products use less power? Why can Intel and AMD reverse the trend but not Nvida or ATI?
October 1, 2006 8:47:26 AM

GPUs are much faster than CPUs therefore can only give off more heat but i heard that to scale them down to smaller processes was extremely hard (harder than CPUs) due to their complexity.
a b U Graphics card
October 1, 2006 12:35:51 PM

Quote:
GPUs are much faster than CPUs...

WTF are you talking about !?!

Show me one top of the line VPU that's anywhere near the speed of even the slowest current offering from AMD or Intel. :roll:

Heat production involves alot more than just speed, and that's pretty easy to see from the differences between VPUs and CPUs. Even when they had similar transistor counts CPUs were far less heat producing at even 3-4 times the speed of VPUs because they were optimized at every step and spun many times to reduce heat while increasing speed (both of which are related of course). GPUs on the other hand are left to what's available from TSMC and UMC, and therefore don't have the same level of optimization. Add to that the manner in which they function (many short pipelines, versus CPUs fewer but longer) which is not conducive to gaining performance from raw speed alone.

If CPUs produced anywhere near the same amount of heat per mhz per transistor they would liquify both themselves and the boards they sat on.

Core 2Duo is about 300mil transistors and PentiumD about 400mil transstors, compare that to GPUs running 1/4 to 1/6 of their speed and then see if your theories hold up.
October 1, 2006 1:42:20 PM

I would say thats probably an Engineering Sample. Saying that this would be the final product (with 2 pci power connectors) then this means

1. we will need at least a 500 watts psu to run 1 card and at least a 650 watts to run sli.
2. if we plan to run one of this cards, we will have to spend more money on a more expensive psu
3. the biggest problem, a single of this cards consumes what a SLI configuration needs, then if we want a SLI configuration with this cards then it will consume what a Quad-SLI needs! Now what if after some time we can configure a Quad-SLI with this cards (let say GF 8950 GX2) then the Quad-SLI would consume power as if it was an Octo-SLI configuration!!!

Only if this are true pics and not some user made...
October 1, 2006 2:29:16 PM

for some reason, i dont think these were photoshopped... Granted this is a sample, i'd cant imagine them changing the product that much to make it a "normal" video card. Time to save your pennies...

Oh, and i wonder, will it come with its own tubing and pump or do i have to buy that separately...
October 1, 2006 8:18:06 PM

Hang on a sec, maybe I'm really reaching here, but this "leak" seems very well timed. Right when Folding@home is announced, and ATI's X19x series are the only cards that can be used. Now nVIDIA looks like they have egg on thier faces. Wait! This just in! Leaked pics of thier next gen GPU!

Hhhhmmmmmmmmmm....
Kinda makes me wonder.

BTW, I'm a huge nVIDIA fan.
a b U Graphics card
October 2, 2006 5:38:28 AM

Wow, you're finally catching on.

This has been going on for years, for both companies.

People always talk about how the companies are so tight lipped, of course that's unless a leak strategically helps them.

The FUD and Leak factor of both ATi and nV is always high at this time. You can guarantee that the minute nV announced the G80 specs and benchies show up, there will be some ATi leak to make people think twice about buying their competitor's card.

As we near the final stages it's only going to get worse, just like we saw with the X800/GF6800 and GF70/R520 series.
!