• Homebuilt
  • RAM
  • Boot
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
September 29, 2006 7:38:51 PM

Ok i just got a e6400, 7900gt, GA-965P-DS3 Motherboard and 2gb of ddr2 667 ram from g.skill rated at 1.8-2.0v. I got everything set up but when i turn it on, first it just sorta resets itself i think not sure but then it stays on. After that nothing pops up on the screen. What is the problem? does my ram need to be 1.8v? Thanks for any help im sorta confused.

More about : boot

September 29, 2006 7:59:05 PM

I don't think i missed anything.
September 29, 2006 8:20:35 PM

Nothing at all on the screen, no bios and i dont think there is any beeping.
Related resources
September 29, 2006 8:27:16 PM

I had the same problem a few days ago when installing my new Intel DG965WH motherboard. I don't know if the P965 chipset is as sensitive with ram issues as the G965 chipset is with DDR2 800 ram, but the problem was the ram voltage and timings. I finally replaced the ram with DDR2 667 and everything works fine. Unless you are overclocking DDR2 800 ram has little proformance advantages over DDR2 667 since memory is not usually the bottleneck with Core 2 duo processors. Most of the advantages come with ram latencey rather than clock speed. Hope this helps.
September 29, 2006 10:52:41 PM

To be sure it's not memory related, pull it out and turn it on. You should hear a series of beeps if it has onboard speaker. If still nothing turn the monitor off, disconnect the video from your system, power the monitor back on and there should be some sort of OSD (On screen display)
September 30, 2006 3:25:10 AM

Ive got an antec smartpower II 500W. Maxtor 250gb ata133 harddrive everything else is listed at the top.
September 30, 2006 4:15:16 AM

Ok, nevermind about the problem before, i put my brothers ram in and it booted up nicely. So my question now is, can i make my g.skill ram work do i need to flash bios change something in the bios or something? thanks for the help guys
September 30, 2006 1:20:53 PM

Quote:
Well it sounds like your Gskill RAM is bad. You will want to RMA them and get a new set. If they don't work then a bios update won't fix that. Somtimes these things come DOA. Not much you can do but take advatage of wareties and return policies.

May be he just need to adjust RAM voltage in bios with his bro's ones and then try his RAM. some memory won't work if voltage is low. I would do this before deciding to RMA.
September 30, 2006 5:49:02 PM

how much should i increase the voltage? like .2?
September 30, 2006 7:16:42 PM

Quote:
May be he just need to adjust RAM voltage in bios with his bro's ones and then try his RAM. some memory won't work if voltage is low. I would do this before deciding to RMA.

Even if that works, any RAM that needs a higher-than-standard voltage to *boot* by definition has something wrong with it, so I would definitely RMA it to your vendor or GSkill. You don't want to be stuck with an unbootable system if you have to clear your CMOS in the future.
October 1, 2006 2:01:07 AM

Quote:

Even if that works, any RAM that needs a higher-than-standard voltage to *boot* by definition has something wrong with it, so I would definitely RMA it to your vendor or GSkill. You don't want to be stuck with an unbootable system if you have to clear your CMOS in the future.

some manufacturers have their standard RAM module voltage at 2.0v or even 2.1v as This OCZ. This is what i meant with adjusting RAM voltage (to make it according to manufacturer specs.
It will be easier to judge, if he wrote us the exact model numbers of his modules so we can check and find out its rating.
October 1, 2006 3:00:49 AM

F2-5400PHU2-2GBLA
October 1, 2006 3:13:02 AM

Quote:

some manufacturers have their standard RAM module voltage at 2.0v or even 2.1v .... This is what i meant with adjusting RAM voltage (to make it according to manufacturer specs.

This is true, but those modules will still *boot* at the standard 1.8V voltage (they may be running slower than the manufacturer spec).

If the module will not even *boot* at 1.8V, then *by definition* something is not correct in the module. It may just need a slightly different setting in the SPD, but it is clearly defective in some way. I've had this happen in the past, and RMAd the modules for slightly newer versions which worked fine.
October 1, 2006 3:13:41 AM

According to G skill this memory can work any way in the range of 1.8 to 2.0 v. so try to get the voltage to 1.9 or 2.0v and run some memory tests to check the modules. From the customer reviews this isn't a WOW RAM. you may check the reviews in HERE if you want to.
If you can i would recommend you RMA these ones u got and get THIS ONE and it has a rebate on it two. Also available from ZZF if you are dealing with them.
October 1, 2006 3:41:46 AM

im on a budget so the $250 is a little out of my budget by the time i RMA + restocking fee its like 75 more then these which i got for 200.
October 1, 2006 3:44:06 AM

Well ive tried raising the voltage on the ram .1 - .3 and nothing is happening still so looks like its just RMA time. Is it better to RMA to newegg or g.skill?
October 1, 2006 3:48:26 AM

newegg and ask to upgrade to the corsair ones (if u can afford it).
October 1, 2006 3:55:13 AM

you can just ask them to upgrade?
October 1, 2006 4:02:24 AM

Quote:
im on a budget so the $250 is a little out of my budget by the time i RMA + restocking fee its like 75 more then these which i got for 200.

jave a look at the modules found here and they are around the 200$ and we can give a hand choosing for sure. Here you go
!