Northbridge Heat

whespe

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Hi TH forum, first time poster, long time leecher here;

First build just finished successfully,
overclocked the e6400 to 2.6ghz on the gigabyte ds3

question about the northbridge temperature.

CPU is running 32idle 38load
the mobo (NB) is running 41 idle, 49load.

Wondering if anyone has had this problem, and if anyone has experience with northbridge active cooling.
I have a tower cooler ( ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835186134 )
i have read that tower coolers dont pass as much air over the power converters and the NB, wondering what the consequences of this running relatively hot.

any insight to this matter and discussion on the topic would be appreciated

Blown_65

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
I have pretty much the same setup as you except for the fact that I'm running an E6300 @ 2.8ghz with the Gigabyte S3. My cpu temps, stock, are 28C at idle and 38C at full load under the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro as well. How are you getting your NB temps? My "easy tune 5" only displays cpu and system temps. Although, since I knew I was going to be overclocking I slapped some AS-5 on the NB chip and a 40mm fan on top. Seems a whole lot better now, not that it gave me any probs before.

SEE PIC BELOW
All of my caps are getting an excellent flow of air via that unique design... and if you have the DS3, your mobo layout is the same as my S3.