Printing DOS files

I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable
using WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when
I send them to HP722C I get NOTHING.
I have an old HP Ruggedwriter configured for an Epson printer and it
prints just fine, but his printer is on its last legs and will be gone
shortly.
Any suggestions?? I have tried HP's website for other drivers, but there
are none.
Thanx in advance for any help.
JHL
5 answers Last reply
More about printing files

    "JHL" <jhl4@cwru.edu> wrote in message news:dh6r3d$hs1$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...
    >I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable using
    >WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when I send them
    >to HP722C I get NOTHING.

    The DeskJet 720 is a Windows host printer. It can print from DOS inside a
    Windows session with some limitations, see:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpd02939.

    Regards,

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:42:41 -0400, JHL wrote:

    > I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable
    > using WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when
    > I send them to HP722C I get NOTHING.
    > I have an old HP Ruggedwriter configured for an Epson printer and it
    > prints just fine, but his printer is on its last legs and will be gone
    > shortly.
    > Any suggestions?? I have tried HP's website for other drivers, but there
    > are none.

    Are you booting DOS or running in a DOS window?

    IIRC, the 720 range of HPs are WinPrinters. That is, they have little to
    no "intelligence", relying almost entirely on the Windows driver to
    operate them

    --
    Dave
    Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

    "JHL" <jhl4@cwru.edu> wrote in message

    > I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable
    > using WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when
    > I send them to HP722C I get NOTHING.
    > I have an old HP Ruggedwriter configured for an Epson printer and it
    > prints just fine, but his printer is on its last legs and will be gone
    > shortly.

    DOS printing requires (a) DOS printing instructions
    (b) sent to a printer that can recognize them. Most
    contemporary printers are hard-wired for Windows and
    lack this feature. Brother and perhaps some other
    manufacturers still sell a couple of DOS-compatible models -- see
    http://solutions.brother.com/Library/faq/printer/prfaq0404/prfaq0404.html
    e.g. 1
    The HL1230 printer supports Windows only. You can not print DOS.
    e.g. 2
    HL-1440 users can use a PCL 4 printer driver. For example, if your DOS
    application has a printer driver for a HP Laserjet Series II printer, select
    that driver. A Laserjet series II printer driver will allow you to print,
    but you will only be able to print in 300 dpi.

    The practical solution in a 99 per cent Windows environment
    depends what DOS app you want to print. Text may be easy
    via GNU or Ghost applications. Databases or spreadsheets
    may require extra intermediate steps.
    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    JHL,

    > I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable
    > using WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when
    > I send them to HP722C I get NOTHING.

    you may want to have a look at Printfil, which allows character based
    applications printing to any Windows printer (including GDI and Virtual
    printers), with many extras.

    You can find more info a free trial to download at http://www.printfil.com

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.printfil.com
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    I THINK YOU SHOULD USE CPM OR THE TRS80 OS.

    Davide Guolo wrote:

    >JHL,
    >

    >>I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable
    >>using WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when
    >>I send them to HP722C I get NOTHING.
    >>

    >you may want to have a look at Printfil, which allows character based
    >applications printing to any Windows printer (including GDI and Virtual
    >printers), with many extras.
    >
    >You can find more info a free trial to download at http://www.printfil.com
    >
    >Kind regards,
    >Davide Guolo
    >Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    > http://www.printfil.com
    >Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    > http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

Printers DOS Hewlett Packard Peripherals