Printing DOS files

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b α HP
September 25, 2005 6:42:41 PM

I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable
using WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when
I send them to HP722C I get NOTHING.
I have an old HP Ruggedwriter configured for an Epson printer and it
prints just fine, but his printer is on its last legs and will be gone
shortly.
Any suggestions?? I have tried HP's website for other drivers, but there
are none.
Thanx in advance for any help.
JHL

More about : printing dos files

Anonymous
a b α HP
September 25, 2005 7:08:41 PM

"JHL" <jhl4@cwru.edu> wrote in message news:D h6r3d$hs1$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...
>I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable using
>WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when I send them
>to HP722C I get NOTHING.

The DeskJet 720 is a Windows host printer. It can print from DOS inside a
Windows session with some limitations, see:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Docume....

Regards,
a b α HP
September 26, 2005 12:13:23 AM

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:42:41 -0400, JHL wrote:

> I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable
> using WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when
> I send them to HP722C I get NOTHING.
> I have an old HP Ruggedwriter configured for an Epson printer and it
> prints just fine, but his printer is on its last legs and will be gone
> shortly.
> Any suggestions?? I have tried HP's website for other drivers, but there
> are none.

Are you booting DOS or running in a DOS window?

IIRC, the 720 range of HPs are WinPrinters. That is, they have little to
no "intelligence", relying almost entirely on the Windows driver to
operate them

--
Dave
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

"JHL" <jhl4@cwru.edu> wrote in message
news:D h6r3d$hs1$1@eeyore.INS.cwru.edu...

> I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable
> using WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when
> I send them to HP722C I get NOTHING.
> I have an old HP Ruggedwriter configured for an Epson printer and it
> prints just fine, but his printer is on its last legs and will be gone
> shortly.

DOS printing requires (a) DOS printing instructions
(b) sent to a printer that can recognize them. Most
contemporary printers are hard-wired for Windows and
lack this feature. Brother and perhaps some other
manufacturers still sell a couple of DOS-compatible models -- see
http://solutions.brother.com/Library/faq/printer/prfaq0...
e.g. 1
The HL1230 printer supports Windows only. You can not print DOS.
e.g. 2
HL-1440 users can use a PCL 4 printer driver. For example, if your DOS
application has a printer driver for a HP Laserjet Series II printer, select
that driver. A Laserjet series II printer driver will allow you to print,
but you will only be able to print in 300 dpi.

The practical solution in a 99 per cent Windows environment
depends what DOS app you want to print. Text may be easy
via GNU or Ghost applications. Databases or spreadsheets
may require extra intermediate steps.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

JHL,

> I have an HP722C inkjet printer connected to LPT1 via a parallel cable
> using WIN98. I would like to print DOS programs to this printer but when
> I send them to HP722C I get NOTHING.

you may want to have a look at Printfil, which allows character based
applications printing to any Windows printer (including GDI and Virtual
printers), with many extras.

You can find more info a free trial to download at http://www.printfil.com

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.printfil.com
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all
a b α HP
September 27, 2005 8:26:59 AM

I THINK YOU SHOULD USE CPM OR THE TRS80 OS.