Xbox NAS / printer server Qs

Bob50

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Hi folks,

I just read Kevin Herring's series on converting an original xbox to be a NAS. I was wondering if anyone had tried it and especially if they had used the usb 1.1 compatible game controller connections with lpd to turn the xbox into a print server? There was no way to comment on the series http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article152-page1.php at its end, so I am asking here. Thankfully, I don't need the bittorrent server capabilities, but with cheap xboxen on ebay and some hard drives lying around, this could be a winner of a project! :D

Too bad you can't upgrade the network connector or the gameports/usb to gig abit and usb 2.0 and thus hang your usb 2.0 external disks on the xbox for a huge, faster NAS.

sartenge

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I have tried his project, but not so far as to add a print server. I ran into problems actually with getting the permissions correct.

This turns out to be a very nice Linux project in general, despite the numerous typos and nebulous commands. I wish the author would go back thru and proofread what he wrote and re-release the article.

benn15

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I 've managed to finish until step 2 of the xbox to nas project. Torrentflux works fine. The manual is not always very clear, but with some effort and help from my collegues it finally worked.
Open problems now are:
not able to access the samba_share from windows. It worked but after changing the admin password in linux in order to get rid of the permission denied within torrentflux (finally fixed that with an extra chmod 777 on the samba_share and the dirs under it) and changing it back to the original password resulted in not being able to access it anymore.

trying to install pure-ftpd (ftp server) installation seems okay, but not working yet.

problems with accessing the torrentflux webinterface while downloading. Instead of performing step 3 I was thinking of changing the setting MaxKeepAliveRequests to 500 (default = 100) Anyone having experiance with that setting?

senorpixie

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2006
not able to access the samba_share from windows. It worked but after changing the admin password in linux in order to get rid of the permission denied within torrentflux (finally fixed that with an extra chmod 777 on the samba_share and the dirs under it) and changing it back to the original password resulted in not being able to access it anymore.

I had some trouble at that point too. Until I messed about a bit in the SWAT page. Things I did were assign the same workgroup as my other comps and (I think this did the trick) set security to "SHARE". Hope it helps. Has anyone by any chance come across a similar thing as TorrentFlux, but for nzb's? Hints greatly appreciated.

And good luck

kevinherring

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
hi guys. apologies if the article wasnt 100% clear, sometimes its not easy to remember exactly what you did, even when you do write it down!

Anyway if it was too detailed, you wouldnt learn anything!

I'll be more than happy to try and answer any questions you might have, but I dont claim to be a linux expert!

Kevin