Prescott CPU, SP2 and newbie

Before I decide to upgrade I want to check my Intel CPU in case it is a
Prescott one. I dnldd Intel Processor Frequency ID Utility, but I cannot
decipher the report. Could anyone say from the report?

The Intel tool report says:

Intel(R) Processor Frequency ID Utility
Version: 7.1.20040716
Time Stamp: 2004/11/19 22:58:51
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 540 3.20GHz
Type: 0
Family: F
Model: 3
Stepping: 4
Revision: E
L1 Trace Cache: 12 K?ops
L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
L2 Cache: 1 MB
Packaging: LGA775
Platform Compatibility Guide: 04A
MMX(TM): Yes
SIMD: Yes
SIMD2: Yes
SIMD3: Yes
NetBurst(TM) Microarchitecture: Yes
Expected Processor Frequency: 3.20 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 3.20 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz

Many tnx

Mervian

Take a look at Chris Quirke's page here http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Mervian" <any@where.net> wrote in message
> Before I decide to upgrade I want to check my Intel CPU in case it is a
> Prescott one. I dnldd Intel Processor Frequency ID Utility, but I cannot
> decipher the report. Could anyone say from the report?
>
> The Intel tool report says:
>
> Intel(R) Processor Frequency ID Utility
> Version: 7.1.20040716
> Time Stamp: 2004/11/19 22:58:51
> Number of processors in system: 1
> Current processor: #1
> Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 540 3.20GHz
> Type: 0
> Family: F
> Model: 3
> Stepping: 4
> Revision: E
> L1 Trace Cache: 12 K?ops
> L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
> L2 Cache: 1 MB
> Packaging: LGA775
> Platform Compatibility Guide: 04A
> MMX(TM): Yes
> SIMD: Yes
> SIMD2: Yes
> SIMD3: Yes
> NetBurst(TM) Microarchitecture: Yes
> Expected Processor Frequency: 3.20 GHz
> Reported Processor Frequency: 3.20 GHz
> Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
> Reported System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
>
> Many tnx
>
> Mervian

Why not click on the HELP button for specifics....

> Take a look at Chris Quirke's page here
http://cquirke.mvps.org/sp2intel.htm

> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

Been there - in fact that where I got my suspicions, because the machine is
very new. I used the Intel tool (report quote in first message). I can see
CPU version etc. - my problem is IS THIS A PRESCOTT one?

M.

> Why not click on the HELP button for specifics....

I did all that - I see the version of my CPU - and I read the Intel tool
report (quoted in first message) - BUT is this a Prescott CPU??? I don't
undestand it. That's what I am wondering...

M.

Download Everest Home Edition, it's free:

http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en

Once installed, open it, click the plus sign next to Computer, select
Summary, then look at Motherboard Chipset under Motherboard.

If when you say upgrade, you mean you are going to install SP2, as I recall,
the problems with Prescott apply to only certain versions, there's more than
one version of this chipset.
--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

> "Andrew E." <eckrichco@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Why not click on the HELP button for specifics....
>>

> I did all that - I see the version of my CPU - and I read the Intel tool
> report (quoted in first message) - BUT is this a Prescott CPU??? I don't
> undestand it. That's what I am wondering...
>
> M.

Whoops, I told you to go to the wrong area in Everest. Select Overclock
instead of Summary, under CPU Properties, check out CPU Alias.

--

Ï "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá

> Whoops, I told you to go to the wrong area in Everest. Select Overclock
> instead of Summary, under CPU Properties, check out CPU Alias.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/

Many thx Michael, that did it! :)

Mervian

I think I undestand now: found KB885626 article in MS knowledge base - it
seems that the problem only appears for CPUs with the following CPUID Data:
. CPU Family F.
. CPU Model 3.
. CPU Stepping 3.
. CPU Revision 3, 2, 1 Þ 0.

My own CPUID Data is:
CPU Family F
CPU Model 3
<but!>: CPU Stepping 4
<and!> CPU Revision E

I hope this means I don't have to worry (about this anyway...) Let's pray
so - and now back in digging out more possible pitfalls before installing
SP2.

Thanks to you all people for your helpful suggestions

Mervian

You're welcome.

--

>Ï "Michael Solomon (MS-MVP)" <user@#notme.com> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
>>
>> Whoops, I told you to go to the wrong area in Everest. Select Overclock
>> instead of Summary, under CPU Properties, check out CPU Alias.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
>> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>>

> Many thx Michael, that did it! :)
>
> Mervian

It sounds like you are very concerned about installing SP2. Do you realize
that installing SP2 is not an absolute requirement? Install SP1a and other
Critical Updates (without SP2), ensure you have your firewall, antivirus and
spyware blockers updated and you can live well enough without SP2.

--

| I think I undestand now: found KB885626 article in MS knowledge base - it
| seems that the problem only appears for CPUs with the following CPUID
Data:
| . CPU Family F.
| . CPU Model 3.
| . CPU Stepping 3.
| . CPU Revision 3, 2, 1 Þ 0.
|

| My own CPUID Data is:
| CPU Family F
| CPU Model 3
| <but!>: CPU Stepping 4
| <and!> CPU Revision E
|
| I hope this means I don't have to worry (about this anyway...) Let's pray
| so - and now back in digging out more possible pitfalls before installing
| SP2.
|
| Thanks to you all people for your helpful suggestions
|
| Mervian

TRENDING THREADS