Samsung Files Cleaning Robot Patent for Curved Zig-Zag Path

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
I gotta say I have a roomba and just got a neato(liked the neato's mapping system).. looked for a samsung but couldn't find one.. The ones I did find were quiet expensive but they let you control it with your phone and stuff when your not home which I find rather neat.. Must say they are coming leaps and bounds on these robots.. the only thing i wish it would do is have longer run time and empty itself..

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Amazing. If Apple had filed a zig-zaging patent there would have been all sorts of haters commenting here. Just goes to show how biased folks really are here.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Amazing. If Apple had filed a zig-zaging patent there would have been all sorts of haters commenting here. Just goes to show how biased folks really are here.[/citation]

Sorry to interrupt your thought here but it wasn't Samsung who started bi$£&ing about Apple. See the reason of such outbreak? I said that number of times and I am going to repeat myself - if all manufacturers were like Apple I don't know what would we live in and be using these days. Patents are creating jobs for trolls and stopping the progress.
Keep supporting Apple. Leave Samsung for people wanting innovation at affordable price.

[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Amazing. If Apple had filed a zig-zaging patent there would have been all sorts of haters commenting here. Just goes to show how biased folks really are here.[/citation]

I came to cry foul but as you are complaining nobody cried foul I will not

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
"Samsung has a history of interesting robot patents, including devices that mimic human walking or breathing or ideas that put RoboCop into real life"

This makes me want to work at a patent office just to see the different ideas out there. And at the same time I wished we had more of a open source market so our technology could flourish. I believe we'd be 60 years advanced without these stupid patents :/.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]EDVINASM[/nom]Sorry to interrupt your thought here but it wasn't Samsung who started bi$£&ing about Apple. See the reason of such outbreak? I said that number of times and I am going to repeat myself - if all manufacturers were like Apple I don't know what would we live in and be using these days. Patents are creating jobs for trolls and stopping the progress. Keep supporting Apple. Leave Samsung for people wanting innovation at affordable price.[/citation]

Sorry to burst your bubble but Apple did not start these frivolous patents, they just joined what other manufacturers were doing. Nice try to blame Apple for starting all these.

They just happen to be the biggest company in the world so every patent and story about them gets reported so we see a plethora of Apple stories but all companies are doing this its just not as publicized.

I wonder if we are going to see the same thing with robotics that we have seen in the PC/Compute industry.
In the PC industry most people (in the States at least) started with a home computer, then things started getting gadgity with 100 little computers all over the house (cell phones, PDAs, MP3 Players, multiple printers, game consoles, handheld consoles, cable boxes, DVRs, laptops, tablets, CD/DVD/HDDVD/BluRay players, stereo, TVs, etc.). But now we are starting to see a consolidation of devices. Your PC is still a PC, but also acts as a server of sorts. Phones and tablets are beginning to eat up all of the multitude of mobile devices. Video game consoles tried consolidating the TV/Entertainment devices last generation, but just might manage to do it this time.
But the point is that where just a few years ago you 'had to have' all of these devices littering your life, now you only really need a smartphone, a tablet or laptop, a desktop, and a TV with console to have all of the same functionality. And in 5-7 years I imagine we will simply be down to a phone, desktop/NAS, and a TV with console to have the same functionality that we have today.

Anywho, the point is that we use to need (and most of us have) tons of single use devices, and we are moving to a point where you have less devices that are good at a lot of things. I wonder if robotics will follow a similar course where we have a vacuume/sweeper, a mop, a clothes washer/drier/folder, a lifter, a wall cleaner/painter, a hair cutter, a chef, a driver, etc. And then after 30-40 years move down to 1-2 multi-purpose devices.
Personally I am stoked that robotics is finally getting somewhere useful (no matter how silly this patent is)! Next we need it to get cheap, and then we need to consolidate functionality, and then we need to focus on efficiency. Here's hoping it all works out.

fimbulvinter

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2011
[citation][nom]fnh[/nom]I believe you could patent a cat-carrying-capable, autonomous cleaning robot.[/citation]

I am a patenting a cat-assisted semi-autonomous cleaning robot >_>

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]Here comes the Jetsons.[/citation]

The Jetsons?
Seriously?
Ok, I'll bite. What you saw on the Jetsons was in large part already doable on a global scale back in the 60-ies and 70-ies.

By our present scientific knowledge - this technology is already outdated (because scientific knowledge and practical usage of it are at least 60 to 100 years ahead of anything we currently use in practice).

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009

You have now idea what you are talking about do you? Take off the blinders.

"I said that number of times and I am going to repeat myself "

Like what you say means anything. Who the hell are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.