Intel Dual-Core E6600 2.4Ghz
4gb Mushkin DDR667 RAM (for Vista)
GeForce 7900GT video
(1)each 150GB Raptor SATA 10,000RPM HD
(2)each Seagate Barracuda SATA 400GB 7500RPM
Lite-on 16x DVD player/burner
Sounblaster Audigy2 XS sound
Win XP Pro

I finished it up this afternoon. Much to my amazement, it started right up, only gave me a message about a USB drawing too much power. Right away I knew that was from a multi-media card reader I had installed, seems like I put the internal USB cable in backwards. Soon as I fixed that it went right into the BIOS. I then made the CD bootable.

After looking around, I decided it was time to back up the BIOS, so I put an old USB flash drive into one of the rear ports and tried to reboot using Alt-F2 per the manual. Didn't work, and after several tries to get back into the BIOS with no luck I yanked the flash drive.

Still was unable to get back into the BIOS and it seemed the computer was not seeing the keyboard. Just for the fun of it I decided to let the PC boot from the XP CD and it went right along installing until I had to hit 'enter', at which point nothing happened and I had to reboot.

Now I can't get into the BIOS and nothing happens with the CD. When I do a full reboot I do get the ASUS splash screen and it does look at the CD. But won't boot, it just hangs.

I tried that suspect falsh drive on another PC, and it works fine. I can't believe the keyboard suddenly died, and I don't get a 'no keyboard found' either.

Any way this can come back from the dead? Did inserting the flash drive somehow short out the PS/2 keyboard port? Should I buy a cheap USB kb tom'w and give it a try?

TIA,
Denton

jimw428

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Is your KB USB? Sounds like a problem I've had when I fried USB +5 by plugging in a USB printer when the ptr and CPU were both powered on (it should have worked). I then lost my KB and all USB ports. I don't know exactly what failed, but my MoBo was gone. :(

denton

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
Is your KB USB? Sounds like a problem I've had when I fried USB +5 by plugging in a USB printer when the ptr and CPU were both powered on (it should have worked). I then lost my KB and all USB ports. I don't know exactly what failed, but my MoBo was gone. :(

Nah, it's a PS/2, but maybe the same deal.

THanks,
Denton

denton

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2005
Before you go on a buying spree, why not try the suspect KB on the machine that you tested the USB flash on?

Good idea, kb is fine. Now what? Does this mean a new mobo?

THanks,
Denton

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Hmm... Any possibility that you can re-flash your bios? err... No. Not if you can't even get to it.

I'd RMA the MB, and write it up to bad luck, mate.