Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How much is a 5GB Bandwidth limit exactly?

Last response: in Networking
August 28, 2003 5:09:40 PM

Alright, im going to school at the University of Connecticut and they basically told all of us that every 7 days we have a 5 giga-byte bandwidth limit. Now i dont really know how big this is in relation to internet usage, but i constantly use Music Match MX for listening to music and i do alot of surfing. Sometimes i might also play a game over the internet, like CS or something. But thats pretty rare considering the fun hours of homework i get.

Basically i was just wondering how much is a 5GB bandwidth limit in relation to a average Joe-Dude user of online radio stations and web surfing. Because if i go over it they slow me down to 54 Kb/s down from 600 kb/s which sucks.

Just explain it so i can visually understand how much it is....just so i dont lose my housing, that would really suck.

A wise monkey never monkies with another monkey's monkey, unless another monkey monkies with another monkey's monkey before the wise monkey monkies with another monkey's monkey.

More about : 5gb bandwidth limit

August 28, 2003 5:20:54 PM

I dont think you are in much danger of going over your 5GB limit per week. A typical song for example will take up about 3MB in mp3 format and there are 1000MB in 1GB. I have over 900 songs on my computer and that only equates to 3.1GB. So i wouldnt worry if i were you. Just dont download too many really big files.

P.S. Im assuming your college mean 5Giga-bytes bandwidth limit and not 5Giga-bits which would be quite a lot less.

Why use windows when you can use doors?
August 28, 2003 5:38:39 PM

Yeah they say 5 giga-bytes of internet usage every seven days. So that is pretty good then. Whatabout online gaming, even though i barely have any time for it, how much does that usually take up?

A wise monkey never monkies with another monkey's monkey, unless another monkey monkies with another monkey's monkey before the wise monkey monkies with another monkey's monkey.
Related resources
August 28, 2003 6:16:12 PM

Its very hard to say with online gaming, it depends on the game i think. But im sure they dont use huge ammounts of bandwidth.

August 28, 2003 6:20:28 PM

Try going to this site and downloading the program, it might give you some idea of how much bandwidth you r using.

August 28, 2003 8:30:54 PM

Alright, sweet and thanks a bunch.

August 28, 2003 10:54:21 PM

well, 5GB can be a lot, but also can be wery litle (with 512kbit adsl i'm doing ~100GB in and ~30GB out in a month, thats ~32GB/week ;) .

Bandwith limit can be interpreted az "how much data can be DL/UL-ed in the given time frame". With FTP this can be calculated wery easily: take the size of the downloaded data, and thats the amount u used up from your BW limit. Online games usualy dont "eat" to much bandwith, since it must be playeable with slower connections also, which cant send too much data. As for listening to online radios... well, thats can be calculated also: provided u listen to 128kbits mp3 stream you download in a hour: 128kbit*60(sec)*60(min)/1024(mbit)/8(mbyte)=56,25 megabyte. If you listen to music 24 hours a day for 7 days, then u will generate 9450 mbyte bandwith usage.. which would exceed your limit, so easy with the mp3
P2P programs (like kazaa, winmx, emule, bittorrent, etc...) can be a problem. You didnt mentioned if the 5GB bandwith limit is for the incoming or the outgoing transfer, so i guess its global, summarising both the in and out. Well, if you fire up a program like this, and dont take your time to set up correctly, or dont know how, you can experience the speed limitations. Most of these programs not just download the file you requested, but uploading also to the other users. This will generate both in- and outgoing trafic, where the outgoing trafic is taken away from your BW limit also. So if you have not set up a client like this, and u leave the program running 24/7 thats will most likely use your max speed (u said 600kb(kbyte), but i guess its 600 kbit (if not, then sry)), so it would generate ~44GByte data transfer.. of course just would, since your speed would get limited down.

Badwith usage can be calculated from your upload/download speed: take the speed of your transfers for example 25kbyte/sec ul and 12kbyte/sec dl (which makes 37kbyte/sec) and multiply it with the time(in sec) you maintained this speed. You will get the data size in kbyte.
August 29, 2003 10:19:17 AM

Use Netlimiter (netlimiter.com if I recall correctly).

Tells you the bandwidth used, both per second and in total, by each program on your computer as well as the total of all programs. It also lets you limit individual programs to whatever upload and download per-second bandwidth you choose. The home license is basically nag-free shareware, with no ads, spyware, or resource hogs, and is very powerful. It's also the only program of its kind!
September 2, 2003 2:30:09 PM

Very cool, thanks again for all the help guys. It says that im using 100-300 megs a day at the most so im good. 5GB is more than you think.

Anonymous
February 4, 2010 7:59:29 AM

in laymen terms.my nephew facebook for 5 hours.the next day my friend did the job search and some other stuff for 2 hours. then I web-surfed for bout an hour,did a few email checks and sent 3 emails. I THINK i found out how to use my SPRINT broadband history/" lap counter" from what I'd gather I used approx.47/48-ish mbs in the incidents i mentioned.
February 4, 2010 8:30:09 PM

BigBiggist said:
Very cool, thanks again for all the help guys. It says that im using 100-300 megs a day at the most so im good. 5GB is more than you think.

Until you try to download a movie or game program from say Steam or netflix !! - figure some games would use 2 weeks worth of your limit just to download and most movie files run about 1gb for high quality - so it can add up fast.
March 8, 2010 11:23:10 PM

Regarding this same issue. I have subscribed to broadband ISP through a USB modem. My provider gives me a monthly total of 5G's through downloads and uploads. Unfortunately, they do not give me any method of monitoring how much has been used. I understand that it is difficult to use this much, but I do not care to pay over charges should it occur. Does anyone know of a download (preferrably free), that keeps track of your internet traffic ? What I keep finding are ones that are used in business to monitor the network usage.
July 23, 2010 8:54:30 AM

Yes, go to broadband choices, then tools and download the Download manager. No good for mac or win7 though
October 13, 2010 9:08:01 PM

I have a similar problem. I have a 5GB download usage/month. I have exceeded that limit at 11GB in like a week, very bad. I will not be charged for the overage but am on a limit monitor, or whatever they called. Well I can't access much because it forever tries to load and it is very frustrating. I go to school online and need my internet access to be running smoothly, is there anything I can do to optimize my speed in the mean time till my 5GB limit resets? Also I'm not too familiar what would use download usage. I'm on face book all the time, I watch movie online but do not download them, I browse the internet like crazy, I open files from my online class, does all this use a high amount of download or basically anything that opens a download window is the actual usage.
October 14, 2010 12:30:04 AM

vonney0281 said:
I have a similar problem. I have a 5GB download usage/month. I have exceeded that limit at 11GB in like a week, very bad. I will not be charged for the overage but am on a limit monitor, or whatever they called. Well I can't access much because it forever tries to load and it is very frustrating. I go to school online and need my internet access to be running smoothly, is there anything I can do to optimize my speed in the mean time till my 5GB limit resets? Also I'm not too familiar what would use download usage. I'm on face book all the time, I watch movie online but do not download them, I browse the internet like crazy, I open files from my online class, does all this use a high amount of download or basically anything that opens a download window is the actual usage.

Watching the movies online whether you are saving them or not still uses bandwidth and so uses your 5gb limit (and figure a movie is probably close to 1gb. depending on what format you are watching) so that adds up quickly - basically anything that is sent to your system is considered download ( and yes that also includes all of those stupid flash ads etc. ! - so 5GB. can be used up very quickly - If possible I'd look for another provider that gives you unlimited access !
October 14, 2010 7:32:24 PM

As far as the flash ads is there a way to disable them? I'm sure they don't use much but minimizing usage I don't need is always good. I am considering another ISP but for now have to deal with Cricket. They use to have unlimited access but recently changed it. Well I guess no more watching movies :( 
How about any ways to increase the speed even if a little?
October 17, 2010 4:06:38 PM

firefox/chrome have ad blockers that can be installed via addons.

yeah.. 5GB is nothing. I enabled the bandwidth monitor on my router for a month to get a feel for how much bandwidth I use. I turned my computer off when I went to bed and didn't turn it back on until ~5pm when I get home; between 5pm and midnight, I used about 3-5GB per *day*. That's not downloading anything either. Just Youtube/Netflix/Games.

Videos consumed the most bandwidth. 3GB days were mostly gaming and 5GB were mostly movie watching.
October 18, 2010 1:47:44 AM

I know right it isn't much. I plan on going with Cox (AT&T) but there deposit is way too high. Guess I just got to save some money.
April 14, 2011 10:21:42 AM

I play a browser game everyday for almost 2 hours. It don't have sounds and its just like browsing pages. I see a video rarely almost 1 video at three months. I have 12 GB internret plan on PC. Will the plan last for a year atleast ?
May 20, 2011 10:20:22 PM

BHargey this is an old thread it might be best to start a new one to get the best and quickest reply. From what I know I think your good to go with that plan. In my case I was watching a movies at least twice a week and always on Facebook games, plus going to school online which called for a lot of downloading and uploading. Therefore my plan failed very short.
If you want to be sure of how much bandwidth usage you use find a download that meters you usage while your online. This will give you an estimate of your daily usage. Or you can contact your ISP and they can tell you how much bandwidth you have used. If it comes close I suggest another plan
June 6, 2011 6:10:08 AM

This topic has been closed by The_Prophecy
!