disable wireless

a b F Wireless
January 25, 2005 3:18:21 PM

Please pardon any naivete in this post. I am not expert in Windows mobile.
It may seem barbaric, but can ALL wireless (except infrared) be reliably
disabled on a divice such as an iPAQ 4700? By reliably, I mean that it would
require elevated privileges to restore.
If this is a senseless question, please let me know so I can crawl back into
the cave.
Thanks.
-CN

More about : disable wireless

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 25, 2005 7:02:13 PM

"Charles Neil" <chn@lanl.gov> wrote in message
> Please pardon any naivete in this post. I am not expert in Windows mobile.
> It may seem barbaric, but can ALL wireless (except infrared) be reliably
> disabled on a divice such as an iPAQ 4700? By reliably, I mean that it
> would
> require elevated privileges to restore.
> If this is a senseless question, please let me know so I can crawl back
> into
> the cave.
> Thanks.

ASAIK there is not a varying rights model with a pocket PC, outside of a
startup password to operate the device et al. So without privilege levels
so to speak there could be no elevated privilege levels.

To be sure all is understood, are you looking for a logon for the device
that sets some form of rights level? And that differnt people will be using
the device, with differnt functions available to each? It might be easier
to keep the WEP off the device, and only use it when access is needed (such
as a network installation, etc). After installation the WEP is erased.

( It might also be good to note that IR will still allow access to a network
through AS, so leaving it open may circumvent the purpose here.)
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 25, 2005 7:38:49 PM

"xTenn" <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote in message

> "Charles Neil" <chn@lanl.gov> wrote in message
> > Please pardon any naivete in this post. I am not expert in Windows
mobile.
> > It may seem barbaric, but can ALL wireless (except infrared) be reliably
> > disabled on a divice such as an iPAQ 4700? By reliably, I mean that it
> > would
> > require elevated privileges to restore.
> > If this is a senseless question, please let me know so I can crawl back
> > into
> > the cave.
> > Thanks.
>

> ASAIK there is not a varying rights model with a pocket PC, outside of a
> startup password to operate the device et al. So without privilege levels
> so to speak there could be no elevated privilege levels.
>
> To be sure all is understood, are you looking for a logon for the device
> that sets some form of rights level? And that differnt people will be
using
> the device, with differnt functions available to each? It might be easier
> to keep the WEP off the device, and only use it when access is needed
(such
> as a network installation, etc). After installation the WEP is erased.
>
> ( It might also be good to note that IR will still allow access to a
network
> through AS, so leaving it open may circumvent the purpose here.)

Not looking for logon levels. Just a stronger way than clicking icons to
make sure rf is not enabled. (Some registry settings, eg?).

Thanks for the response.

-CN
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 26, 2005 2:56:17 PM

> Not looking for logon levels. Just a stronger way than clicking icons to
> make sure rf is not enabled. (Some registry settings, eg?).
>
> Thanks for the response.

Remove the WEP key from the device. If they know the WEP they can get there
on any device, if they don't they can't on any device.
!