Mot. WR850G, wired desktop doesn't see wireless laptop ...

smitty240

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
and vice versa. I've tried running network wizard and used my USB flash drive to transport wizard info from one machine to the other, but they will not access shared files or the printer attached to the desktop. OS is Win XP home. When looking at "Network Places", nothing shows up. Tried adding printer, gets to MSHOME network and nothing shows from there.

Any ideas would be appreciated. This has become a royal pain. So much for Gates and his "plug and play" dream world. Can you tell I'm frustrated? :x

gunbuster82

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
1) Check to see that File and Printer sharing are enabled on both machines under the Properties of the NIC you are using.

2) Make sure that both computers are using the same Workgroup name:
Right click on My Computer and select "Properties". Click on the "Computer Name" tab and it will list the name of the Workgroup. To change it click the "Change" button and set both machines to the same name. (ie. MSHOME)

3) Right click on a folder that you want to share and click "Sharing and Security". Click on the little blurb that says "Share Anyways" and then check the "Share this folder on the network". You can enter a different name for the folder if you want it to show up as something else on the network.

You can share a printer by right clicking on it and setting up the sharing the same way.

Unfortunatly, there are dozens of little things that can cause them not to speak, even if they look properly configured. Check to see that you don't have any firewall messing things up.

If none of this helps, let me know if you can ping each machine from the other, by either IP, Name or both.

Good Luck!

smitty240

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Come to find out, it was the firewall that was not letting them communicate. I've got it working now after 3 days of fooling around with every setting I could think of. Thanks for your reply.