Yet another AMD roadmap

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
AMD is moving fast to get rid of 939 and 754 as the latest raodmap shows. It seems like they want Brisbane to be the main supply as fast as possible.

Though FAB 30 is still making 90nm at > 100%, they can still get 65nm off the ground for OEMs and then later for retail.

I can't believe that they won't make 65nm 4x4 chips ASAP to keep the cost down for 3GHz chips.

I guess we can only hope that ALL 939 cores will go into AM2 for the high clock 4x4 chips. But then I don't care.

I just wante dto not e that non-AM2 seem to be going by the wayside VERY quickly.

http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?id=1159444771

corvetteguy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
AMD is moving fast to get rid of 939 and 754 as the latest raodmap shows. It seems like they want Brisbane to be the main supply as fast as possible.

Though FAB 30 is still making 90nm at > 100%, they can still get 65nm off the ground for OEMs and then later for retail.

I can't believe that they won't make 65nm 4x4 chips ASAP to keep the cost down for 3GHz chips.

I guess we can only hope that ALL 939 cores will go into AM2 for the high clock 4x4 chips. But then I don't care.

I just wante dto not e that non-AM2 seem to be going by the wayside VERY quickly.

http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?id=1159444771

They still make 754? I didn't know that. As for 939 they said they'd support it into 2007 last year and i haven't heard differently.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006

Say]http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?id=1159444771
Say it ain't so......They aren't listening to you ? :?

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
I am impressed by the new AMD line up.

Getting entirely rid of the FX series is a nice, honorable and decent thing to do. Any concept of "truth in advertising" demands that AMD aknowledge they have nothing that comes close to the X6800, so dropping completely the FX line simply acknowledges that they can't compete.

Also, I like the 100 mhz increments in speed. we now have a wider range of AMD cpus that perform worse and cost more than their core2 equivalents.

With the 5400+, 5600+, and 6000+ , for example, plus have three choices of chips that cost more than an E6600, but perform less well than an E6600...

What's not to like?

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Getting entirely rid of the FX series is a nice, honorable and decent thing to do. Any concept of "truth in advertising" demands that AMD aknowledge they have nothing that comes close to the X6800, so dropping completely the FX line simply acknowledges that they can't compete.
The FX line doesn't seem like it's going to be discontinued so much as reposistioned.
http://www.neoseeker.com/news/story/6164/
Apparently, the FX-70/72/74 are being released on Socket F for the 4x4 platform. I'm going to wait and see if this is true.

With the 5400+, 5600+, and 6000+ , for example, plus have three choices of chips that cost more than an E6600, but perform less well than an E6400...
LOL. The 5000+ is overpriced, the 5200+ is MIA, and now AMD is releasing four new X2s. It's like Hector Ruiz let 9-inch into a management posistion in return for promoting AMD:

Ruiz: "For your esteemed service to the AMD cause, I am making you the VP of Worldwide Sales/Marketing because face it, Henri Richard was never any good."

9-inch (In tears): "I AM GOD!!!"

The Inquirer: "9-inch was made VP of Worldwide Sales/Marketing. Today, AMD enters a golden age."

the_vorlon

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

Also, I like the 100 mhz increments in speed. we now have a wider range of AMD cpus that perform worse and cost more than their core2 equivalents.

With the 5400+, 5600+, and 6000+ , for example, plus have three choices of chips that cost more than an E6600, but perform less well than an E6400...

What's not to like?

They are certainly segmenting in fine divisions their product lineup, not sure why. The 3 GHz 6000+ will just about catch the E6600 in performance.

Honestly, I am more impresses with how quickly the adjusted their product portfolio to be able to weather the price war.... just amazing.

I do not see the K8 core catching up to C2D, it will take K8L to get back the performance lead. If a 3 GHz K8 core is barely meeting the E6600, then it would take a 3.6-3.8 GHz K8 core to just nudge out a lead.

Agreed.......

AMD is a fast, smart, adaptable company. Intel is huge, ruthless, and very smart, and AMD is not dead. That says volumes about how smart AMD is.

The REAL issue with the brisbane 65 nano chips is if they have any frequency headroom.

If the 3.0 ghz parts top out at 3.3 ghz AMD is in for a rough ride.

Clock for clock, the Core 2s are about 25% faster than the Athlon x2s.

It's pretty clear Intel could release a 3.5 ghz part tomorrow if they needed to, so to be back in the game AMD needs a 3.5 ghz X 1.25 => 4.3-4.4 ghz part to be fully competative.

Historically, every process shift has give "about" a 50% boost in clock speed on the same design....

Fastest .25 PIII was 1.0 ghz, went to 1.4 ghz on .18... => 40%
Fastest .18 P4 was 2.0 ghz, went to 3.46 ghz on .13=> 70%

Granted 90 nano Prescotts gained little (got to 3.8 ghz) but the subsequent shift to 65 nano gave big jumps in reality..

Intel never officailly released dual core parts faster than 3.73 ghz, but just about any D9xx goes deep into the 4s on good cooling... while the fastest dual core 90 nano part (the D840 at 3.2 ghz) was on the edge of meltdown at that speed, where as 4.xxx ghz D9xxs are pretty routine.

IF (huge if) AMD gets 50% going to 65 nanos and these parts get to 4+ ghz, we have a whole new ball game :)

if not, then well, not....

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I dunno if AMD's marketing personnel clipped coupons to get their MBAs, but this constant leaking of roadmaps that change every couple of weeks is absolutely embarassing. It's vaporware released to cover the previous vaporware. I would strongly suggest that if AMD really wants to recover from the s##tkicking that Intel is giving it, they should shut the hell up until they can demonstrate a Quadcore Brisbane running 4GHz with 8MB cache that makes a Kentsfield look like a Pentium Pro. Then everyone can genuflect and acknowledge that AMD has the crown once again. Until then, all this tossing around of ethereal nonsense is doing nothing but devaluing the brand.

AMD, hire me as your Mkt. Mgr. I'll straighten you out... for a "healthy" package of salary, perqs and stock options... :D

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
I dunno if AMD's marketing personnel clipped coupons to get their MBAs, but this constant leaking of roadmaps that change every couple of weeks is absolutely embarassing. It's vaporware released to cover the previous vaporware. I would strongly suggest that if AMD really wants to recover from the s##tkicking that Intel is giving it, they should shut the hell up until they can demonstrate a Quadcore Brisbane running 4GHz with 8MB cache that makes a Kentsfield look like a Pentium Pro. Then everyone can genuflect and acknowledge that AMD has the crown once again. Until then, all this tossing around of ethereal nonsense is doing nothing but devaluing the brand.

AMD, hire me as your Mkt. Mgr. I'll straighten you out... for a "healthy" package of salary, perqs and stock options... :D
You drive a hard bargain. :D

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
You drive a hard bargain. :D

Dilbert's "Salary Theorem" states that "Engineers and scientists can never earn as much as business executives and sales people."

This theorem can now be supported by a mathematical equation based on the following two postulates:
Postulate 1: Knowledge is Power.
Postulate 2: Time is Money.

As every engineer knows:
Power = Work / Time

And since: Knowledge = Power
And: Time = Money
It is, therefore, true that
Knowledge = Work / Money

Solving this equation for Money, we get:
Money = Work / Knowledge

Thus, as Knowledge approaches zero, Money approaches infinity, regardless of the amount of Work done.

Conclusion: The less you know, the more you make.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Intel limped along for 3 years, leaking every new chip they woul release, while providing no competition or even competent processors. I guess now people want AMD news.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

With the 5400+, 5600+, and 6000+ , for example, plus have three choices of chips that cost more than an E6600, but perform less well than an E6600...

What's not to like?

You mean like how the bargain basement 9xx series are still appearing and still slower than X2 3800+? Only 1 out of 10 people can get a Core 2, while 10 out of 10 people CAN get an X2.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Say]http://www.planet3dnow.de/cgi-bin/newspub/viewnews.cgi?id=1159444771
Say it ain't so......They aren't listening to you ? :?

They're not making 65 nm 4x4 chips because they can't, 65 nm is not binning high enough..... :)

@ Baron, they aren't listening to you because they already know what they need to do to keep costs down and if they could they would!!!

They are just producing the first 65nm chips. Intel took a long time to get their 65nm parts below SuperNova. AMD will do it by the middle of next year. I'm sure the EE chips are practice for 65nm. AMD has yet to say they are having any yield issues and the taiwan mobo community would have leaked the news by now.

I would say that they will get them out on schedule with the lower voltages. They have gotten 90nm down to 54W and still have the perf\watt title.

But then I'm probably making it up.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

What's not to like?

They are certainly segmenting in fine divisions their product lineup, not sure why (EDIT: I posted a likely reason below). The 3 GHz 6000+ will just about catch the E6600 in performance.

Honestly, I am more impressed with how quickly the adjusted their product portfolio to be able to weather the price war.... just amazing.

I do not see the K8 core catching up to C2D, it will take K8L to get back the performance lead. If a 3 GHz K8 core is barely meeting the E6600, then it would take a 3.6-3.8 GHz K8 core to just nudge out a lead.

(EDIT: Here is a link showing the compare -- http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=2&id=2010 )

AMD is good at what they do. If the rumors are true that ALL 65nm chips will get L3, a 3GHz chip will overtake Core 2 and perhaps improve clock for clock.

orsino

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Hey, Baron, I've been tryin' to stay outta this, but I think with your latest sextuple post, I can hereby, with the power vested in me, bestow upon you the hallowed title of:

OFFICIAL THG POST HO.

Wear this emblem of distinction with pride!

:lol:

gman01

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2006
Enjoy the current intel lead as long as you can boys....

As soon as the AMD quad core comes out intel will be behind another 3 years....

You all know glueing conroes together is very inefficient and can't compete.... Unless they come up with their own HT technology they are toast....

It will probably take 16 core of intels(8 glued conroes) to equal 8 cores of AMD(true octo)....

gOJDO

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
Enjoy the current intel lead as long as you can boys....

As soon as the AMD quad core comes out intel will be behind another 3 years....

You all know glueing conroes together is very inefficient and can't compete.... Unless they come up with their own HT technology they are toast....

It will probably take 16 core of intels(8 glued conroes) to equal 8 cores of AMD(true octo)....
You have no idea what are you talking about. Glueing 2 dualcores is as much efficeint as 4 cores on the same corssbar, without a latency penalty. Why don't you look at the Kentsfield/Clovertown benchmarks before you make another extremly stupid radical fanboy-istic conclusion without any knowledge about the subject?