Noisy Power Supply? Heres how to fix it!

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Get some plexy glass, and a few corner molding strips that fit it... You can find these at home depot or another supply store. The molding strips are usually white in color, and hold two peaces of flat board at a right anglel.

Take a peace of plexy glass, and cut a circle in it the size of your powersupply fan... then drill some holes in the places where it attaches the power supply to the case. This will be the base.

Now take the molding and build a rectangle box of 4 peaces of plexy glass, leaving the base side and an adjectent side open. Apply a little superglue to the molding, for this will hold it in place while you construct it... After you construct it, the nature of the construction will hold the box together.

Now when your at home depot look at the vinal floor section... They sell a black thin pladding that is made to absorb noise from vinal floor installations. They are really cheap rolls, and are not a thick material... Almost like rubber (which you may also use)... I recommend spray on adhesive for this. (you can also use this stuff in your case, to quiet it down)

Glue on the base of the box to the base of plastic you made with the fan hole. Superglue works well to hold it in place, but some gorilla glue or an epoxy is best. Becarefull Gorilla Glue expands while it drys, and can make a mess.

The open side can be pointing in any direction you want. I like to point it down since my powersupply is about 5 inchs from the ground. Make sure the box is big enough not to restrict air flow... But not too big that it doesnt stop noise. The Box should be tall enough to cover the whole fan.

Now use the screw holes, and as many washers needed(to fill in any gaps in the screw on installation) and some to spread the pressure of the screws accross the plexy glass. You may even glue on some of these washers directly to the plexyglass with some supper glue.

Sand the whole outside down with a 150 sand paper. Spray paint only with a Primer... do not use color spray paint because it will come out like crap... if you want to add color buy a 1/4 gallon, and roll or brush it... Try not to use a pure gloss for it tends to leave an uneven look to it.

This duct should silence most powersupplies with very little air restriction, and should look like it came with the machine. If you have the equipment make it out of steel.

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I plan on making one in a couple of weeks. My psu will be in an odd place and the muffler will be internally mounted. I will post pics when it's done.

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
Will work only on air out side..

Not exactly sure what you mean by that. My PSU will be located approximately in the bottom middle of a custom chassis I'm building out of some junk acrylic (I need the whole top for two radiators). I plan on making a long heat duct to the front for the main fan, and another duct out the side panel for it. Both ducts will be a maze with sound absorbing material.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
test things out... if you have a long input pipe, put another fan there...

I would recommend the "SilenX" series fans. They are extremely powerfull and VERY quite. They produce a lower (BASS) when listened to close

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I already have a Thermaltake 700w tough power coming. I went with them because their products seem to be built very tough. I wanted a durable PSU. Not a DOA one.

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
After thinking up about a dozen ideas, researching, and doing some testing with some sound absorbing material and fans... I think I found one that will work well. I'm going to custom make two vents. They will be real similar to the heating vents found in most houses, except I will be adding my sound dampening material to each little vent wall(both sides). All PSU air will be directed thru custom ducting and in/out the sound absorbing vents.

In my tests I found that when the sound from the PSU hits a wall of my sound dampening material about 1-2 inches, it reduced noise considerably. I think with vents, the air flow loss should be minimal.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Dont buy the sound absorbing material they sell on sites like frozen cpu. Its nothing but foam and really isnt very nice looking or easy to use.

Go to your local HomeDepot, or equivelent and look in the flooring section. Like I said, it is a very thin ruber like material, though it is padding, and it works great.

If you spend a ton of money, you can get a silent PSU from the get go.

It is a good solution to the expensive PSU's.

Brokenparts

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
I'm using some dense floor padding my friend had left over from when he installed flooring. I already made a pump house about 5x5 inch with double thick padded walls(also has 5mm thick plexi). I wanted my D5 to be 100% silent. I tested my little pump house I made with a few noisy fans and an alarm. I was amazed how well it worked. When I sealed it I couldn't hear anything. I had to really concentrate and get my ears close before I heard anything. It takes about 95% of the noise away. I'm not worried about heat build up because the D5 dumps the heat in to the coolant.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I dont think much noise comes from the in coming air. To test this out, take the hosehold biggest fan you own, and stand in front and in back of it, and see how different the volume level is. When you push air away from you, you also push the sound.

2nd Attempted Description

Its a 4 sided box.

2 sides are open, both are next to each other.

one open side side goes onto the PSU back (outside the case), the other points up, down, left or right...

The depth (PSU->Baffle) of the box is variable, and I cant say how big it should be... I think ours was 2 inches. Shallow Boxes will let less noise, but will restrict airflow. Deeper Boxes will be less restrictive but should let out more noise.

The air comes out of the PSU, hits the baffle (back) of the box, then is pushed out the open end. This makes the sound bounce around inside the 3 walls or back into the case. The left over sound goes out the vented side.

I am no artist, and I dont have access to a place to post the image.

Its REALLY very simple.

I had also noticed that putting your hand on the exit vent of the PSU, does not dampen the volume. I dont know why... But this box does.

PSU's blow air from inside the case to the outside, and will also push noise in the same direction.

Low BASE volumes wont be baffled as much as higher frequencies (laws of physics). Most fans are higher piched.

All it does is redirect the fan air. This allows you to use materials to dampen the sound.

A Tube would reduce airflow, but wont reduce noise much. This is because High Freq. Sounds are small wave lengths, and tend to go streight through tubes.

The object is simply to change the direction of the output airflow.

Its essentially like a duct used on central air housing. The air goes down the inside of the wall, then is pushed out of the wall with backpressure.

I hope this helps. It will be sometime till I get a chance to build one. Keep it simple, as stated above. Dont bother building a plate for screwing it onto the back of the PSU.

Just use some hot glue. Once your happy with everything, and maybe experiment with designs, you can then create a mounting plate. Start with plain old wood board. You can find some nice board with a white surface. It isnt thick, just needs to fit into the plastic corner molding they sell. The molding is very limited in sizes of matererial that will fit in it, so this is your biggest material restriction. The molding is nice, cause it makes assembly easy. But you could make the box anyway you want.

Cardboard may even work better, who knows... This is where your experimentation and requirements become necessary.

I dont know how else to explain it. I may be doing a bad job at it, so if you understand me, and think you can do a better job then please step up.

Mike

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
They also sell Ruber Back mounting plates for PSU's (check newegg). Might help, except that in my case the PSU sits directly on the bottom of the case. I dont expect vibration of the outer structure of the PSU to be the cause of the noise, but it all depends on the design and fans used.

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I am no artist, and I dont have access to a place to post the image.

There are free image hosting sites all over the web. Has anyone ever introduced you to Google?

Rough waters for you on the Sea of Incompetence again, eh?

Rich and others are right - buy a quiet PS in the first place while Mike mods his POS into suana-land.

Its REALLY very simple.

Then you shouldn't have had to post a second long-winded description, now should you?

PSU's blow air from inside the case to the outside, and will also push noise in the same direction.

I see: you're now rewriting the laws of physics... How quaint. While you're in there, fix up the problems in string theory - current research is having a tough time but after another coupla visits to Home Depot, you should have it all tidied up.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Once again, Clueless strikes again... I guess he feels its his personal duty to follow me around the forums insulting me and everything I say... Well enjoy the humiliation Clueless, as people read your posts, and think "What an Ass..."

Ignored.... Again...

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
When I build one for my PC, I will take pictures...

Shouldn't you build one and prove your concept before you give advice and instructions here?

I was kinda thinking the same thing but then again i care about that as much as i care about dampening sound in my computer ;)

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
When I build one for my PC, I will take pictures...

Shouldn't you build one and prove your concept before you give advice and instructions here?

I did build one... for my sisters computer...

I am amazed at how well it worked, it was for an Antec... Silenced it beyond my highest expectations...

I want to build one for my computer... I got to do it very soon:)