Intel DQ965co motherboard and Core2heatsink Problem

Stunned

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Hello everybody,

I have an emergency problem: I bought an Intel DQ965co motherboard and Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6400 and for some reasons the heatsink that comes in the CPU’s box doesn’t fit into holes on this motherboard. It appears that the distance between those holes is too big and the heatsink’s wings are not wide enough or maybe the heatsink is not big enough. Could it be that I don’t need to install any heatsink/fan on this motherboard at all? I need to find a solution ASAP. I used to have tons of motherboards in the past and never had such ridiculous problems. I feel like an idiot!!! : :oops: :oops: 8O 8O
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Stunned

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Is it possible that the Core2 E6400 is not even compatible with Intel's Q965co motherboard?

Thanks for your response!

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
BTX boards do not use standard heatsinks, but rather a giant hunk of metal called a thermal module. Did you buy a Core 2 Duo that was advertised to work with BTX? If you didn't, you recieved Intel's standard ATX heatsink, which won't work.

This is a thermal module - much bigger and heavier than a standard heatsink.
ttbtx.jpg

Let me reiterate - the processor is fine and will work in the board, but you need a different cooler such as this one.

Stunned

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
The casing that I have is Antec Sonata II and I think I'll have to find some kind of BTX upgrade kit that would be compatible with Sonata.
Thanks!

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
On that note, you need a case specifically designed for BTX as well. The BTX design changes the locations of certain features, specifically the output connections on the back of the case.

2faddfdb97ef69083dc1976c2a586489.jpg

Antec makes a BTX case:
http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=82640

The way this is shaping up, you may just want to return the motherboard for an ATX board - then you could use your Sonata and the provided heatsink that came with your E6600.