Intel DQ965 and Core2 heatsink problems

Stunned

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Hello everybody,

I have an emergency problem: I bought an Intel DQ965co motherboard and Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6400 and for some reasons the heatsink that comes in the CPU’s box doesn’t fit into holes on this motherboard. It appears that the distance between those holes is too big and the heatsink’s wings are not wide enough or maybe the heatsink is not big enough. Could it be that I don’t need to install any heatsink/fan on this motherboard at all? I need to find a solution ASAP. I used to have tons of motherboards in the past and never had such ridiculous problems. I feel like an idiot!!! : :oops: :oops: 8O 8O
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

robx46

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
First off, don't even think of starting the comp without a heatsink AND fan! Chances are, with new technology, that it would auto-not start before it starts up and fries.
But if you did manage to start it up without a heatsink, that thing would fry in seconds.

Well, I know all the 965 boards and you cpu are both socket LGA775, so that wouldn't be an issue.

But I think I see what might be the issue. The board you have is "micro btx". Now, I don't know the specs of micro btx, but its a specific motherboard size that is different from ATX, micro ATX, Pico BTX, ect. All those are different sizes.

Even so, I would think that the heatsink holes would be the same on all of these, but I really don't know because I've only ever used full ATX or micro ATX.
Anyhow, this is the only thing that I can guess would be the problem.

However, you aren't screwed. First off, is that board definitely the board you wanted to get for your case? Make sure you didn't accidentally get the wrong board.
Again, I don't know micro btx, but it doesn't seem to be a very popular or common sized mobo.
That has to be the issue.

If this is the right board that you want, the solution is still pretty simple. Buy a HSF compatible with a micro BTX board. Even a $20 US HSF replacement is better than stock anyhow.
I just got a hyper 3 coolermaster for like $30. All I have is a front intake fan and a back outtake fan and my Presler 945 is idle at 33c, which is a sweet temp and is much better than the stock intel fan was giving me.

In other words, either way you should probably get a new HSF anyhow. They aren't expensive.

I'm not an expert on motherboards nor am I sure the micro btx explanation is the correct one. But its the only thing I can think of as the intel HSF should fit any ATX board. But btx could be different.
Perhaps somebody else can help out more.

robx46

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Maybe I'm right? Check out somebody else having the same issue. Looks like you need to find a compatible HSF. But to be honestly, they must be rare. I searched newegg and couldn't find any kind of btx compatible HSF, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place.
Perhaps you have to get one from intel or another site that caters more to this form factor.

http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/bb/ftopic171938.html

pausert20

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Hello everybody,

I have an emergency problem: I bought an Intel DQ965co motherboard and Intel Core2 Duo CPU E6400 and for some reasons the heatsink that comes in the CPU’s box doesn’t fit into holes on this motherboard. It appears that the distance between those holes is too big and the heatsink’s wings are not wide enough or maybe the heatsink is not big enough. Could it be that I don’t need to install any heatsink/fan on this motherboard at all? I need to find a solution ASAP. I used to have tons of motherboards in the past and never had such ridiculous problems. I feel like an idiot!!! : :oops: :oops: 8O 8O
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Stunned, you bought a uBTX Intel Coupeville motherboard. This is one of the new vPro boards. The heatsink with the Boxed processor are only supplied for uATX or ATX motherboards. If you do have a uBTX or BTX case then the board you bought is one of the correct ones. If you case is a uATX or ATX case then please return your motherboard. The equivalent Q965 uATX motherboard is the Guardfish Q965GF. If you don't want a vPro board but want a Viiv board then the uATX board would be the Stoughton G965OT.

Stunned

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
I have only Antec ATX Sonata case so it is not compatible with BTX motherboards and there is no BTX upgrade kit. I've got to come up with some solutions ASAP. I'll also need to keep this computer as silent as possible. I looked around and there seems to be no suitable BTX computer cases for my needs.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good catch on someone else's part for noticing you had a BTX board, they use different sinks entirely than ATX boards do. Intel used to sell it's Pentium 4 and Pentium D processors packed with EITHER an ATX or BTX sink (same processor with two different part numbers) but I haven't seen any Core2's with BTX sinks. You might find one if you care to do some research.

chadsteele

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
If you are putting together one of the BTX gateways which use that board the heatsink is available from www.hypermicro.com they have them instock.

Geeks had the Gateway BTX barebones for 50 dollars, but no heatsink, some searching around showed a few sources for the BTX. Hyper was the cheapest. Item Code :HSGA007

Have fun

Chad.

TRENDING THREADS