Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help in how to use my amd Anthlon X2 4600

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 30, 2006 3:20:40 AM

Thanks to the help of people on this forum I have chosen the 4600+ X2
as my upgrade from my amd anthlon 64 3200+ venice.

I was told by the workers of fry's electronics, not to get it unless i get windows xp pro, is this true?

Any ways I have downloaded the patch and the dual core optimiser
and there seems to be no probles. How do I make sure that it works.
Does it show 2 task manager or what cause I dont know how to use it.

Mobo:A8N-VM
bios:0702
cpu:AMD 4600+ X2
video:p ny 7900gt
ram:2 gb corsair value select 400 mhz pc3200
psu:UltraVseries 500 watt
Hdd:maxtor sata 100gb

More about : amd anthlon 4600

September 30, 2006 4:24:59 AM

Is any body gonna help me? I know im a noob at this and it would be a waist of time to reply, but it would really help if some one could at least help me.
September 30, 2006 5:21:58 AM

So wait, you want to know whether or not XP Pro is needed to take advantage of a dual core CPUs?

Well, according to the pros, any version of XP will take advantage of both cores. So no, it's not necessary for your CPU, but I've found XP Pro to be much more stable than Home. I've used both extensively, and Pro is much better.

What are you using now? If you go to Task Manager, on the tab where it shows the graphs it should show two separate graphs, one for each CPU.
Related resources
September 30, 2006 7:03:16 AM

If you still can return it.....If your upgrading from a non x2 type cpu. Your better not dealing at the nightmares...
I had nothing but problems with my 4400 110 watt cpu. Nothing worked it broke my os server times caused my HHD to crash to the point it needs a clean install now etc........There are too many reviews showing the workarounds with this series CPU must dont work..Unless you OEM and have tech support. 4400 to 4800 series have ben nothing but problems for many. Unless you have a good server person helping your better off saving your mind and sole by returning it and dealing with another model........
Just a honest poster nightmarish experience with this series cpu.
September 30, 2006 7:47:53 AM

Try upgrading to SP2
September 30, 2006 11:07:36 AM

Thank you for the help. I can see the 3 bars in windows task manager
and in 3dmark06 my scores went up from 3700 to 4700.
September 30, 2006 1:27:34 PM

Quote:
Thanks to the help of people on this forum I have chosen the 4600+ X2
as my upgrade from my amd anthlon 64 3200+ venice.

I was told by the workers of fry's electronics, not to get it unless i get windows xp pro, is this true?

Any ways I have downloaded the patch and the dual core optimiser
and there seems to be no probles. How do I make sure that it works.
Does it show 2 task manager or what cause I dont know how to use it.

Mobo:A8N-VM
bios:0702
cpu:AMD 4600+ X2
video:p ny 7900gt
ram:2 gb corsair value select 400 mhz pc3200
psu:UltraVseries 500 watt
Hdd:maxtor sata 100gb



The dual core optimizer is just deigned tofix a sync issue that occurs in some games. You would only know you need it if you play a game and see the game moving in super speed. Task Manager will show two cores. If you have Home it just means you can't use two SOCKETS.
September 30, 2006 1:55:56 PM

The dual core optimizer is IF your lucky will work.
I too TRIED to upgrade from a 3200 to a 4400 in my case with nightmare results.......It seems if your MB is a other version even one year old the CPU(s) release anytime after had major conflicting results......I given up on the 4400 dual core....Again if you can return it while you can..
The fixes will either break your OS or cause major problems else where when in your system.
September 30, 2006 1:56:30 PM

The only real diffrence between XP Home and XP Pro is in the networking side of things. Otherwise the two work exactly the same. :wink:

XP Home will happily run both cores on your Athlon X2. The Athlon X2 driver is designed to fix a problem that occurs in some games when running dual cores. I believe that some games run too quickly with an X2 processor without the patch, however I have not had any such problems.

The problem with techies that work in shops is that they are normally low paid individuals without any real computer knowledge at all. 8O

Most real computer nerds are hard wired into their computer system and thus cant get a real job :twisted:

Athlon X2 4600 will work great in your system. I've been using Dual core for about 4 months and it rocks!!!!!

Task manager will show you both cores working, simply click the performance tab in task manager to see both cores in use.
September 30, 2006 1:57:59 PM

Some people just arent cut out to DIY, you should probably get the help of someone that knows what they are doing :oops: 
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2006 2:18:31 PM

Quote:
Some people just arent cut out to DIY, you should probably get the help of someone that knows what they are doing :oops: 


Don't be too hard on poor Bun, it's not all his fault.
Ignorance has a lot to do with it...... :) 
a b à CPUs
September 30, 2006 2:48:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks to the help of people on this forum I have chosen the 4600+ X2
as my upgrade from my amd anthlon 64 3200+ venice.

I was told by the workers of fry's electronics, not to get it unless i get windows xp pro, is this true?

Any ways I have downloaded the patch and the dual core optimiser
and there seems to be no probles. How do I make sure that it works.
Does it show 2 task manager or what cause I dont know how to use it.

Mobo:A8N-VM
bios:0702
cpu:AMD 4600+ X2
video:p ny 7900gt
ram:2 gb corsair value select 400 mhz pc3200
psu:UltraVseries 500 watt
Hdd:maxtor sata 100gb


I love Frys. Huge selection of components all laid out for you to spend hours and hours drooling over, and you can get some pretty good deals if you prefer not to order online.
However, you must do your homework before you go. Most of the people in Frys just do not give good accurate information.

If you have the 2 graphs for CPU usage in your task manager, there is nothing else you need to do to "use" your new CPU. XP and any programs that can take advantage of your new dual core CPU will do so without you doing anything.
September 30, 2006 3:06:55 PM

Quote:
So wait, you want to know whether or not XP Pro is needed to take advantage of a dual core CPUs?

Well, according to the pros, any version of XP will take advantage of both cores. So no, it's not necessary for your CPU, but I've found XP Pro to be much more stable than Home. I've used both extensively, and Pro is much better.

What are you using now? If you go to Task Manager, on the tab where it shows the graphs it should show two separate graphs, one for each CPU.

Home... Pro... both equally stable/unstable if you ask me. Perhaps the ones you used with Pro were higher quality systems?
September 30, 2006 5:15:47 PM

Pretty much agree that both are pretty much equally stable.

Pro just has extra security features, as well as being able to run 2 physical CPU's.

But Home XP will run a single (dual core) CPU.
October 1, 2006 9:03:26 PM

Nope, on my old crappy Dell Inspiron 2600 notebook. Pro ran much more stably when in installed it in lieu of the Home version that came with the notebook. I even removed the Dell folder from the version, tried it with both versions. Pro was much better in my experience.

But Fedora Core 5 is much more stable than either of them ^_^
!