point5pnoi

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I just put together my new computer, and I think I might have a bad stick of ram. I have 2 x 1gb sticks of dual channel crucial ram. I can post with one stick, but when I put the other one in with it, it doesn't post and I get one long beep and 2 short beeps. When I just put the other stick in by itself, it does the same thing, with the beeps as well. I've set the ram voltage to 2.2 as the ram needs. Any thoughts?

Sunburn

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2004
Yeah, I've only heard of going to 2.2V on the RAM for overclocking purposes. Having to do it just to use it sounds very wrong. You might have to RMA it after all.

point5pnoi

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2006
I don't see why I would need to RMA it just from it being 2.2v. That's the voltage it says on the specs. This is the kind of ram I got.

Mondoman

Splendid
I have the 2x512MB version of that RAM and it seems to work fine at 1.9V. Since increased voltage causes the RAM to run at higher temps, and carries a slight risk of increased degradation of the RAM, it's not a good thing unless needed.
The spec is just the voltage at which they tested; many of those modules should run fine at lower voltages.