Multiplayer Network Gaming

Gene

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Hi Guys...

Hope you don't mind a few questions regarding problems with Multiplayer Gaming.

I have 3 pcs connected to each other via an 802.11g wireless network. One pc has a broadband router attached to it, the other two connect via wireless g network cards.

I pretty much let windows xp do all the setting up for me, in other words, after i connected all the devices to my PCs, everything was up and running. All PCs see each other and are able to share files and internet connections. The router assigned the IPs to the computers.

Here's the problem: if the three PCs can see each other and are able to share files, why do they drop each other's connection when I try to start a multiplayer game? (e.g. warcraft3, c&c generals). All the versions of the games are the same on each machine and the configuration of each machine is pretty much the same (processor, memory, motherboard, etc.).

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

site3op

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Sounds like the firewall filtering on your router is the probable culprit. I would turn off the firewall settings on the router temporarily to test and see if that is the problem. If so, just adjust the settings to allow ports and protocols needed for the game in question.

Gene

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Sounds like the firewall filtering on your router is the probable culprit. I would turn off the firewall settings on the router temporarily to test and see if that is the problem. If so, just adjust the settings to allow ports and protocols needed for the game in question.

You're right! It was my PCCillin Internet Security Firewall that caused all the problems. I'm still figuring out how to configure the ports on the firewall, but for the meantime the kids here will just have to disable it before starting a multiplayer game.

Thanks so much for the input!