Sign in with
Your question

ASUS P5B Random automatic power down...

Last response: in Overclocking
September 30, 2006 12:54:33 PM

Hi There, I have an ASUS P5B (standard) motherboard, but...

Every often, regardless of what you are doing (From browsing BIOS to using Windows) the machine will just turn itself off and then power up again a couple of seconds later. Once it has done this, it will then just carry on turning itself off and then back on again until I pull the plug...

I have tried forcing the memory to the correct speed, I've tried turning on the QFan control thing, I've tidied up the case so that there are no loose power wires that could be shorting.

I've read posts that this is caused by overclocking, but I've not overclocked it.

The spec of the machine is:

*Core 2 duo 6400
*1GB DDR2 533 RAM
*X1900XTX GFX
*Innovission SATA RAID card (Because this board has the most BS RAID functions I have EVER seen!!! :(  )
*2X160GB HDDs in RAID (Using the card)
*550W PSU

This board is running the stock BIOS (0211 IIRC - It turns off by the time I see into this)

What could the problem be??? Thanks in advance. :) 

Cheers
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 30, 2006 3:32:48 PM

Quote:
Hi There, I have an ASUS P5B (standard) motherboard, but...

Every often, regardless of what you are doing (From browsing BIOS to using Windows) the machine will just turn itself off and then power up again a couple of seconds later. Once it has done this, it will then just carry on turning itself off and then back on again until I pull the plug...

I have tried forcing the memory to the correct speed, I've tried turning on the QFan control thing, I've tidied up the case so that there are no loose power wires that could be shorting.

I've read posts that this is caused by overclocking, but I've not overclocked it.

The spec of the machine is:

*Core 2 duo 6400
*1GB DDR2 533 RAM
*X1900XTX GFX
*Innovission SATA RAID card (Because this board has the most BS RAID functions I have EVER seen!!! :(  )
*2X160GB HDDs in RAID (Using the card)
*550W PSU

This board is running the stock BIOS (0211 IIRC - It turns off by the time I see into this)

What could the problem be??? Thanks in advance. :) 

Cheers

RAM can cuse the poblem you described. Run Memtest 86 and check for errors. Video card can cause it by overheating. Software drivers can cause the shutdowns too. ATI Catalyst video card driver 6.9 update here:

https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=...

http://www.memtest86.com/
September 30, 2006 4:49:46 PM

Bad ram or a bad psu.
check the mem with memtest86 and if thats ok and you still have trouble try swapping the psu.
Related resources
September 30, 2006 11:16:29 PM

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies :) 

I've tried memtest, when it wasn't in a power down and back up again mood and it ran through 5 times without fail...

The PSU brand is a COLORse 550W (I've got a simular one in my computer, but it hasn't got the 6 pin connector for the graphics card - This is my brothers new machines that hes saved up for). When I used to work in a computer shop, we sold a few of these without much problems.

On a couple of occasions that this has happened, before POST, the screen would be displaying along the lines of "Overclocking has failed, please hit F2 to resume with defaults", yet I havn't overclocked at all.

I've tried flashing the BIOS to 0509, but to no avail. I've also unplugged all HDD's and DVD Drive and it still does it. Taken out the RAID card (Like I've said, this board claims RAID but its false...) and that don't help.

I would try the PSU, but mine, which is simular is missing the gfx 6 pin connector.

Thanks again :) 
October 1, 2006 12:47:39 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies :) 

I've tried memtest, when it wasn't in a power down and back up again mood and it ran through 5 times without fail...

The PSU brand is a COLORse 550W (I've got a simular one in my computer, but it hasn't got the 6 pin connector for the graphics card - This is my brothers new machines that hes saved up for). When I used to work in a computer shop, we sold a few of these without much problems.

On a couple of occasions that this has happened, before POST, the screen would be displaying along the lines of "Overclocking has failed, please hit F2 to resume with defaults", yet I havn't overclocked at all.

I've tried flashing the BIOS to 0509, but to no avail. I've also unplugged all HDD's and DVD Drive and it still does it. Taken out the RAID card (Like I've said, this board claims RAID but its false...) and that don't help.

I would try the PSU, but mine, which is simular is missing the gfx 6 pin connector.

Thanks again :) 
October 1, 2006 9:04:15 AM

Never heard of that brand. Buy a decent name brand one and if that doesnt fix it you can always return it.

Btw have you tried clearing the cmos and resetting your bios settings ?
!