Newbie Seeks Printer Help

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 27, 2005 6:58:37 AM

Can anyone suggest the easiest way to connect two PCs (running Win98SE) to
one laser printer? (HP Laserjet 1100) I'm just looking for something simple
and reliable. I'm running a DOS-based word processor (Leading Edge), and
the printer and PCs would connect through their parallel ports. I have no
need to network the computers to each other. Any suggestions are greatly
appreciated.

More about : newbie seeks printer

September 27, 2005 6:58:38 AM

> Can anyone suggest the easiest way to connect two PCs (running Win98SE) to
> one laser printer? (HP Laserjet 1100) I'm just looking for something simple
> and reliable. I'm running a DOS-based word processor (Leading Edge), and
> the printer and PCs would connect through their parallel ports. I have no
> need to network the computers to each other. Any suggestions are greatly
> appreciated.

Network is really the most simple means of sharing a printer. If you
have PCI slots we're talking two network adapters and a cross over
cable, perhaps $30ish bucks at your local computer store. If your
system is older it might be harder to find ISA network adapters, but
not impossible. All you need to do afer this is enable printer
sharing, and if the remote pc is running your dos app you might have to
type in a net use command, but aside from that it's not an issue.

Alternativly I believe win98se supported direct cable networking over
the serial port. This would require a null modem cable. There was an
option for parallel networking via a "laplink" cable but I don't know
if windows98 supports this out of the box. Serial port networking
would be slow, but more than adquate for printer speeds.

The only other solution other than USB would be to buy a manual
switchbox. It wouldn't be printer sharing as one knows it, you would
switch between A and B depending on which PC you wish to use. Lasers
might not react well to this, and the cables you would need are not
cheap on the new front. Depending on the layout of the switch box you
might need a db25m to db25m, and another db25m to centronics.

I'd say the null modem cable is the cheapest, followed by two network
adapters and a null network cable. You're more likely to get help with
networking. Switchbox is more simple but cost more because the cables
are not cheap.
September 27, 2005 6:58:38 AM

> >Can anyone suggest the easiest way to connect two PCs (running Win98SE) to
> >one laser printer?

> Get a computer that can run at least Win2K and network the printer.

Three Points

1. Win98se supported networking just fine. Shared network printers
are not a problem
2. Many pentium 166s will run 2k. See
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evalu...
3. Why bother to upgrade if one's "power app" is a dos application.

> junk it, that is like a model t. you might as well use an abacus

Hardly. It's a 600dpi laser printer, onboard 2megs of ram standard.
This is nothing to sneeze at and in fact IMHO offers better text output
than the ip4000, your favorite printer. I know of people who are still
operating on 300dpi laser printers from the late 1980s. This is
another thing you don't understand. Lasers have a superior lifespan to
inkjets... why ditch it if it still works?

I expect the usual harrassment for disputing your opinion.
September 27, 2005 8:22:55 AM

Bremmer wrote:

>Can anyone suggest the easiest way to connect two PCs (running Win98SE) to
>one laser printer?

Get a computer that can run at least Win2K and network the printer.

>(HP Laserjet 1100) I'm just looking for something simple
>and reliable. I'm running a DOS-based word processor (Leading Edge)

JUNK IT. THAT IS LIKE A MODEL T. YOU MIGHT AS WELL USE AN ABACUS.

>, and
>the printer and PCs would connect through their parallel ports. I have no
>need to network the computers to each other. Any suggestions are greatly
>appreciated.

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 8:23:37 AM

zakezuke aka Matt Zakowski wrote:

>>Can anyone suggest the easiest way to connect two PCs (running Win98SE) to
>>one laser printer? (HP Laserjet 1100) I'm just looking for something simple
>>and reliable. I'm running a DOS-based word processor (Leading Edge), and
>>the printer and PCs would connect through their parallel ports. I have no
>>need to network the computers to each other. Any suggestions are greatly
>>appreciated.
>>

>Network is really the most simple means of sharing a printer. If you
>have PCI slots we're talking two network adapters and a cross over
>cable, perhaps $30ish bucks at your local computer store. If your
>system is older it might be harder to find ISA network adapters, but
>not impossible. All you need to do afer this is enable printer
>sharing, and if the remote pc is running your dos app you might have to
>type in a net use command, but aside from that it's not an issue.
>
>Alternativly I believe win98se supported direct cable networking over
>the serial port. This would require a null modem cable. There was an
>option for parallel networking via a "laplink" cable but I don't know
>if windows98 supports this out of the box. Serial port networking
>would be slow, but more than adquate for printer speeds.
>
>The only other solution other than USB would be to buy a manual
>switchbox. It wouldn't be printer sharing as one knows it, you would
>switch between A and B depending on which PC you wish to use. Lasers
>might not react well to this, and the cables you would need are not
>cheap on the new front. Depending on the layout of the switch box you
>might need a db25m to db25m, and another db25m to centronics.
>
>I'd say the null modem cable is the cheapest, followed by two network
>adapters and a null network cable. You're more likely to get help with
>networking. Switchbox is more simple but cost more because the cables
>are not cheap.

September 27, 2005 9:44:53 AM

"Bremmer" <brem@orgo.com> wrote:
>Can anyone suggest the easiest way to connect two PCs (running Win98SE) to
>one laser printer? (HP Laserjet 1100) I'm just looking for something simple
>and reliable. I'm running a DOS-based word processor (Leading Edge), and
>the printer and PCs would connect through their parallel ports. I have no
>need to network the computers to each other. Any suggestions are greatly
>appreciated.

You have got some good advice in the replies here except from measekite who
never gives credible advice.
Do yourself a favour and just ignore him.
He will probably reply to this in a manner that will prove my point.
The LJ1000 is a good reliable printer with no bad habits, and the solutions
provided by Zakezuke will work fine.
Tony
September 27, 2005 5:34:31 PM

I remember using a system once that had four computers and one printer
and a 'switch box' on Win 98, about the simplest for any computer
unless you want to start configuring and installing.

Simply plug in and switch and they don't need a power cord, not all
the leads in the cable needs to be switched.

Davy
September 27, 2005 5:50:40 PM

> >The LJ1000 is a good reliable printer with no bad habits, and the solutions
>>provided by Zakezuke

> tony da tiger is in the printer business
> this is how he makes a living
> if you trust politicians then listen to the aussie bastard
> if no you should not listen to what he says

Tell me this... how does the continued use of a somewhat older printer
by a user in america benifit an aussie bastard? I have no idea what
Tony's business is or if he's Australian, but assuming his business
involves printers it could be repair, design, sales, or support:.
Not going to send it to OZ,
nor do I see an offer to sell parts from OZ.
Not making any money from saying it's an O.K. printer
>From what I can see not selling cartridges.

If they were a spammer, wouldn't it be more likely they would encourage
the user to get a new model, like your self for example.

This is yet another measekite nonsequator, your facts do not correlate.
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 7:32:26 PM

Tony wrote:

>"Bremmer" <brem@orgo.com> wrote:
>

>>Can anyone suggest the easiest way to connect two PCs (running Win98SE) to
>>one laser printer? (HP Laserjet 1100) I'm just looking for something simple
>>and reliable. I'm running a DOS-based word processor (Leading Edge), and
>>the printer and PCs would connect through their parallel ports. I have no
>>need to network the computers to each other. Any suggestions are greatly
>>appreciated.
>>

>You have got some good advice in the replies here except from measekite who
>never gives credible advice.

REMEMBER THIS

TONY DA TIGER IS IN THE PRINTER BUSINESS

THIS IS HOW HE MAKES A LIVING

IF YOU TRUST POLITICIANS THEN LISTEN TO THE AUSSIE BASTARD

IF NOT YOU SHOULD NOT LISTEN TO WHAT HE SAYS

HE IS A SPAMMER

>Do yourself a favour and just ignore him.
>He will probably reply to this in a manner that will prove my point.
>The LJ1000 is a good reliable printer with no bad habits, and the solutions
>provided by Zakezuke

HE IS MATT ZAKOWSKI AKA ZAKESUKE

>will work fine.
>Tony

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 7:33:39 PM

zakezuke wrote:

>>>Can anyone suggest the easiest way to connect two PCs (running Win98SE) to
>>>one laser printer?
>>>

>>Get a computer that can run at least Win2K and network the printer.
>>

>Three Points
>
>1. Win98se supported networking just fine. Shared network printers
>are not a problem
>2. Many pentium 166s will run 2k. See
>http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evalu...
>3. Why bother to upgrade if one's "power app" is a dos application.

HA HA HA

>>junk it, that is like a model t. you might as well use an abacus
>>

>Hardly. It's a 600dpi laser printer, onboard 2megs of ram standard.
>This is nothing to sneeze at and in fact IMHO offers better text output
>than the ip4000, your favorite printer. I know of people who are still
>operating on 300dpi laser printers from the late 1980s. This is
>another thing you don't understand. Lasers have a superior lifespan to
>inkjets... why ditch it if it still works?
>
>I expect the usual harrassment for disputing your opinion.

Anonymous
September 28, 2005 6:07:19 AM

zakezukeaka Matt Zalowski wrote:

>>>The LJ1000 is a good reliable printer with no bad habits, and the solutions
>>>provided by Zakezuke
>>>

>>tony da tiger is in the printer business
>>this is how he makes a living
>>if you trust politicians then listen to the aussie bastard
>>if no you should not listen to what he says
>>

>Tell me this... how does the continued use of a somewhat older printer
>by a user in america benifit an aussie bastard? I have no idea what
>Tony's business is or if he's Australian, but assuming his business
>involves printers it could be repair, design, sales, or support:.
>Not going to send it to OZ,
>nor do I see an offer to sell parts from OZ.
>Not making any money from saying it's an O.K. printer
>>From what I can see not selling cartridges.
>
>If they were a spammer, wouldn't it be more likely they would encourage
>the user to get a new model, like your self for example.
>
>This is yet another measekite nonsequator, your facts do not correlate.

September 28, 2005 9:46:25 AM

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >The LJ1000 is a good reliable printer with no bad habits, and the solutions
>>>provided by Zakezuke
>
>> tony da tiger is in the printer business
>> this is how he makes a living
>> if you trust politicians then listen to the aussie bastard
>> if no you should not listen to what he says
>
>Tell me this... how does the continued use of a somewhat older printer
>by a user in america benifit an aussie bastard? I have no idea what
>Tony's business is or if he's Australian, but assuming his business
>involves printers it could be repair, design, sales, or support:.
>Not going to send it to OZ,
>nor do I see an offer to sell parts from OZ.
>Not making any money from saying it's an O.K. printer
>>From what I can see not selling cartridges.
>
>If they were a spammer, wouldn't it be more likely they would encourage
>the user to get a new model, like your self for example.
>
>This is yet another measekite nonsequator, your facts do not correlate.

For what it's worth I am not an Australian but I wouldn't be unhappy if I was,
I have visited Australia and love the people, especially the bastards (a
description they coined for themselves I believe after they performed valiantly
in a theatre of war defending the freedom of a number of countries including
their own). However for the record I shall not under any circumstances be
responding directly or indirectly to any more of Measekite's childishly
pathetic and wildly inaccurate attempts to determine where I really live and
work (he only wants to do that so he can incorrectly claim that I am looking
for business here); I have never made a secret of the fact that I am in "DA
business", but my location is not available because I do not tout for business
in this ng and I do not spam. If I can help I will and if I can't I will keep
quiet; my record here attests to that.
Unfortunately Measekite cannot conceive of anybody actually wanting to help
without some sort of profit, more of a commentary on himself than anyone else.
If anybody wants to pay the freight to Australia to have their printer fixed I
am sure there are many excellent people there that would like DA business, just
take out a second mortgage first!
BTW the Australians spell colour, honour and flavour with the "U" but still
manage to have a very close relationship with the USA.
Aussies would probably call Measekite a "flaming mongrel" which is probably
defamatory of dogs in his case.
Tony
September 28, 2005 1:18:28 PM

Tony wrote:

>>>tony da tiger is in the printer business
>>>this is how he makes a living
>>>if you trust politicians then listen to the aussie bastard
>>>if no you should not listen to what he says
>>
>>Tell me this... how does the continued use of a somewhat older printer
>>by a user in america benifit an aussie bastard? I have no idea what
>>Tony's business is or if he's Australian, but assuming his business
>>involves printers it could be repair, design, sales, or support:.
>>Not going to send it to OZ,
>>nor do I see an offer to sell parts from OZ.
>>Not making any money from saying it's an O.K. printer
>>>From what I can see not selling cartridges.
>>
>>If they were a spammer, wouldn't it be more likely they would encourage
>>the user to get a new model, like your self for example.
>>
>>This is yet another measekite nonsequator, your facts do not correlate.
>

> For what it's worth I am not an Australian but I wouldn't be unhappy if I was,
> I have visited Australia and love the people, especially the bastards (a
> description they coined for themselves I believe after they performed valiantly
> in a theatre of war defending the freedom of a number of countries including
> their own). However for the record I shall not under any circumstances be
> responding directly or indirectly to any more of Measekite's childishly
> pathetic and wildly inaccurate attempts to determine where I really live and
> work (he only wants to do that so he can incorrectly claim that I am looking
> for business here); I have never made a secret of the fact that I am in "DA
> business", but my location is not available because I do not tout for business
> in this ng and I do not spam. If I can help I will and if I can't I will keep
> quiet; my record here attests to that.
> Unfortunately Measekite cannot conceive of anybody actually wanting to help
> without some sort of profit, more of a commentary on himself than anyone else.
> If anybody wants to pay the freight to Australia to have their printer fixed I
> am sure there are many excellent people there that would like DA business, just
> take out a second mortgage first!
> BTW the Australians spell colour, honour and flavour with the "U" but still
> manage to have a very close relationship with the USA.
> Aussies would probably call Measekite a "flaming mongrel" which is probably
> defamatory of dogs in his case.
> Tony

Don't worry Tony, measershit is recognized the world over as being the
number one idiot of all times.
An honor he has earned and truly deserves.
Frank
September 28, 2005 4:37:24 PM

> >but my location is not available because I do not tout for business
> >in this ng and I do not spam. If I can help I will and if I can't I will keep
> >quiet; my record here attests to that.

>*boll<shavick> it is public relations*
<edit mine>

Public relations for whom?
September 28, 2005 5:39:07 PM

zakezuke wrote:
>>>but my location is not available because I do not tout for business
>>>in this ng and I do not spam. If I can help I will and if I can't I will keep
>>>quiet; my record here attests to that.
>

>>*boll<shavick> it is public relations*
>
> <edit mine>
>
> Public relations for whom?

He is beyond stupid.
Frank
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 7:13:02 PM

Tony wrote:

>>>tony da tiger is in the printer business
>>>this is how he makes a living
>>>if you trust politicians then listen to the aussie bastard
>>>if no you should not listen to what he says
>>>

>>Tell me this... how does the continued use of a somewhat older printer
>>by a user in america benifit an aussie bastard? I have no idea what
>>Tony's business is or if he's Australian, but assuming his business
>>involves printers it could be repair, design, sales, or support:.
>>Not going to send it to OZ,
>>nor do I see an offer to sell parts from OZ.
>>Not making any money from saying it's an O.K. printer
>>>From what I can see not selling cartridges.
>>
>>If they were a spammer, wouldn't it be more likely they would encourage
>>the user to get a new model, like your self for example.
>>
>>This is yet another measekite nonsequator, your facts do not correlate.
>>

>For what it's worth I am not an Australian but I wouldn't be unhappy if I was,
>I have visited Australia and love the people, especially the bastards (a
>description they coined for themselves I believe after they performed valiantly
>in a theatre of war defending the freedom of a number of countries including
>their own). However for the record I shall not under any circumstances be
>responding directly or indirectly to any more of Measekite's childishly
>pathetic and wildly inaccurate attempts to determine where I really live and
>work (he only wants to do that so he can incorrectly claim that I am looking
>for business here); I have never made a secret of the fact that I am in "DA
>business",

*
BUNDERBAR*

>but my location is not available because I do not tout for business
>in this ng and I do not spam. If I can help I will and if I can't I will keep
>quiet; my record here attests to that.

*BOOLSHIT IT IS PUBIC RELATIONS*

>Unfortunately Measekite cannot conceive of anybody actually wanting to help
>without some sort of profit, more of a commentary on himself than anyone else.
>If anybody wants to pay the freight to Australia to have their printer fixed I
>am sure there are many excellent people there that would like DA business, just
>take out a second mortgage first!
>SNIP
>Tony

September 28, 2005 8:08:58 PM

> Many thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that both PCs have available
> PCI slots. However, the remote PC is running the word processor in pure DOS
> mode. The PC with the printer attached is usually running Windows 98
> normally, but it may be in pure DOS mode as well if the user is running the
> same word processor. Is networking still achivable given this scenario?
> Thanks again

Networking was supported in dos via Microsoft Network Client 3.0 , but
I honestly don't know the details off the top of my head. All you need
to know pretty much is on this site

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dosclnt3.htm
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/doscltcp.htm

Your choices for network adapters would be somewhat limited to ones
that come with dos support, a Network NE2000 compatable network adapter
IIRC, or anything that is on the list of adapters when you install
"Microsoft Network Client 3.0"

Printer support once installed I believe can be configured at the dos
command line
net use lpt1: \\remote-machine-name\remote-printer-name
or
net use lpt1: \\x.x.x.x\MyPrintername where x.x.x.x = the address you
assign to the machine that has the printer.

You'll have to type in that command each time unless you want it
persistent... if so "/Persistent:Yes" tacked at the end or just put the
netshare line in your autoexec.bat

I know jack squat about sharing a printer from dos, so it's best to
assume you can only use the network printer so long as win98 is
running, but if you plan to run the dos app on the system with a
printer without windows this shouldn't be an issue at all.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 10:19:58 PM

"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Network is really the most simple means of sharing a printer. If you
> have PCI slots we're talking two network adapters and a cross over
> cable, perhaps $30ish bucks at your local computer store. If your
> system is older it might be harder to find ISA network adapters, but
> not impossible. All you need to do afer this is enable printer
> sharing, and if the remote pc is running your dos app you might have to
> type in a net use command, but aside from that it's not an issue.

Many thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that both PCs have available
PCI slots. However, the remote PC is running the word processor in pure DOS
mode. The PC with the printer attached is usually running Windows 98
normally, but it may be in pure DOS mode as well if the user is running the
same word processor. Is networking still achivable given this scenario?
Thanks again.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 10:24:33 PM

<Tony> wrote in message news:p art1of1.1.w7Vr3MuY5f5B1A@ue.ph...

> You have got some good advice in the replies here except from measekite
> who
> never gives credible advice.

> Do yourself a favour and just ignore him.

Good advice Tony, thanks.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 10:26:12 PM

"Davy" <davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>I remember using a system once that had four computers and one printer
> and a 'switch box' on Win 98, about the simplest for any computer
> unless you want to start configuring and installing.
>
> Simply plug in and switch and they don't need a power cord, not all
> the leads in the cable needs to be switched.
>
> Davy

I've looked into that but I can't find any switchboxes with software to
remotely switch the input using pure DOS (which is what the word processor
requires). It is a very attractive solution though so I might pursue it
anyway.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 2:32:30 AM

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:19:58 -0400, Bremmer wrote:

> Many thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that both PCs have
> available PCI slots. However, the remote PC is running the word
> processor in pure DOS mode. The PC with the printer attached is usually
> running Windows 98 normally, but it may be in pure DOS mode as well if
> the user is running the same word processor. Is networking still
> achivable given this scenario?

It's many years since I tried it, but I did have two DOS based PCs
networked (for playing Doom <g>) and file transfers worked. I didn't look
into printing over the network.

A quick google suggests that this
http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/dosclien.htm might be of use to you. The bit
about netbeui sounds very familiar.

--
Dave
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

zakezuke wrote:

>>>but my location is not available because I do not tout for business
>>>in this ng and I do not spam. If I can help I will and if I can't I will keep
>>>quiet; my record here attests to that.
>>>

>>DA POLLACK SAYS*boll<shavick> I SAID BULLSHIT it is public relations*
>>

><edit mine>
>
>Public relations for whom?

DA POLLACK IS MATT ZAKOW*SKI*
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:47:26 AM

Frank wrote:

>>> *boll<shavick> it is public relations*
>>

>> <edit mine>
>> Public relations for whom?
>>
> I am beyond stupid.
> Frank

FAR BEYOND
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:48:04 AM

Bremmer wrote:

>"zakezuke" <zakezuke_us@yahoo.com> aka Matt Zakowski wrote in message
>

>>Network is really the most simple means of sharing a printer. If you
>>have PCI slots we're talking two network adapters and a cross over
>>cable, perhaps $30ish bucks at your local computer store. If your
>>system is older it might be harder to find ISA network adapters, but
>>not impossible. All you need to do afer this is enable printer
>>sharing, and if the remote pc is running your dos app you might have to
>>type in a net use command, but aside from that it's not an issue.
>>

>Many thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that both PCs have available
>PCI slots. However, the remote PC is running the word processor in pure DOS
>mode. The PC with the printer attached is usually running Windows 98
>normally, but it may be in pure DOS mode as well if the user is running the
>same word processor. Is networking still achivable given this scenario?
>Thanks again.

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:48:37 AM

!