gatenby

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Hi everyone,

I would say my knowledge of Computers and PC's is average.. but its not quite up to date with the newest stuff! Iv built a few PC's before, and sort out problems for friends all the time!...

Im looking for some advice on a upgrade for my PC.

Iv been looking at the AMD X2 Processors, and thinking of getting a 4400 one, with 2x 1MB cache.

With this, i would also want to Upgrade my RAM (currently have 2x 512 PC3200 DDR), probably upgrade to atleast 2GB (i do alot of audio editing).

Now, i thought i would look at getting DDR2 RAM, as its faster. But looking at reviews it isnt all that much better. But to be future proof i would probably want DDR2.

But no AMD x2 boards support DDR2. So if i DID want DDR2 i would have to go for a Intel Pentium D. Been looking at the Pentium D 950, which seems very decent.

Iv already got a XFX GeForce 6800 128MB graphics card. Which is AGP 8x. Which i know is 'old' now, and AGP is not really supported on motherboards anymore.

So things i want some advice on:

AMD Vs Intel Dual Core chips?! Which ones better

DDR2... really worth it?

Graphics card... would i need to change (think i would due to the AGP thing)?

Thanks in Advanced.

mpilch is right. A Core 2 system would serve you much better for your purposes than an X2 would.

Here are my suggestions:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

RAM: OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-800

Video Card: eVGA Geforce 7600GT

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB SATA2

Case: Antec Sonata II <--- If you already have a case you plan on using, ignore this...

Optical Drive: NEC ND-3550A

and since you're going to be audio editing....

Sound Card: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Total before taxes and shipping: $1056.93

I recommended all of these because you didn't tell us what you already have and what your budget is. Next time you post here asking for help on a build, please provide that info.

gatenby

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Thank you very much for the reply's. I will take everything in to account and have a good look.

Iv already got two good hard drives, the case, and PSU, M Audio Soundcard, and Optical drives too. So all thats needed is a motherboard, CPU, and RAM, and a graphics card. Sorry i didnt provide this bit of information!

I have also thought about getting a 15,000rpm hard drive too, just a 36GB to put windows on and apps, and to have any projects im working on. Do you think this would be worth it? However it is SCSI so i would need to get a PCI SCSI card.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
the 939 only has ddr integrated controller built into it.for ddr2 you need the am2 which has the ddr2 controller built in and is also backwards compatable with ddr.however i do not believe you can get a 4400x2 anymore as they have been discontinued by amd.the 4600x2 would be a good one to get.goodluck.

Dahak

EVGA NF4 SLI MB
X2 4400+@2.4 S-939
2 7800GT'S IN SLI MODE
2X1GIG DDR400 MEMORY IN DC MODE
WD300GIG HD
520WATT PSU
EXTREME 19IN.MONITOR

Mondoman

Splendid
If your current MB will handle the x2, I would just get the x2 CPU, and upgrade to 2x 1GB DDR-400 (not DDR2) RAM. That way, you won't have to spend money on a new video card which won't gain you anything unless you are into gaming. Also, the newest MBs are limiting IDE controllers, as they switch to SATA instead, and it sounds like you have at least 3 IDE devices.
If you do upgrade the MB and get a new video card, it's probably a good idea to get a more powerful PS as well.

Evil-Weazel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Intel Core 2 DUO's have a lead on performance over the AMD X2 in socket 936 or AM2. Make sure it is Core 2 DUO not just Core DUO. However the AMD X2's are still good processors it's just that Intel finally got that Megahertz = speed thing out of their head and have now copied AMD's thought that Megahertz doesn't mean speed and their new procs though clocked slower than their previous P4's are soundly beating them and AMD.

DDR2 is the Future if you can do it then do it DDR is going to fade away soon, not tomorrow but soon.

Here are some thoughts why I am going to wait on the Intel Core 2 DUO though I may change my mind later.

I already have a an AMD X2
I believe the Core 2 DUO is a transition CPU for Intel. There next chip ( I hope ) has an integrated memory controller and independant cache for each core instead of the shared cache that they have now. Shared cache is not as good as independant and has the possability of becoming a point of performance loss. Not that you could tell from the Core 2 DUO's benchmarks, but I'd bet money with an independant cache they would perform even better.

No flames please it's just an opinion.

Evil-Weazel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
Yeah, I know about the quad cores I was just hoping they had something else in the works to be released soon that was not in the rumor mill yet. We could always start a rumor though:

Itels next chip will have integrated memory controllers and each core will have it's own cache. :D

No flame but FYI:

Intels next chip the C2Q is basicly 2 C2D made under the 65nmprosses and glued together. There will be no integrated memory controler. They would have to create a now socket to acomidate that.

IMO: I figure when Intel anounces a new Socket they will also be anouncing integrated memory controlers.

I feel the urge to clear this up. The Conroe chips are already based on the 65nm process, as were the Pentium D 900's. You are right on the point about the Kentsfield simply being 2 Conroe dies stuck together though.