pls comment on my new E6600 gaming rig

Ancale

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Hey all!!

I've been lurking through these forums a long while checking out reviews and threads to see what specs I should go for in my new PC! Finally I've come up with the following which should be good for gaming and also be quiet and hopefully sufficiently cool. What do you think of the build? Should it work out well? Do you propose any particular changes?

CPU E6600
Motherboard Asus P5B Deluxe/Wifi
Memory 2x512Mb DDR2 PC800 Corsair XMS2
Graphics Card Leadtek 7900GS
Hard Disk 250Gb 7200rpm 8Mb Buffer - Samsung SATA2 Hard Drive
Monitor 20" samsung 240BW 6ms
DVD Writer Pioneer black
ATX Case Antec P180 black
Power Supply Antec NeoHe 500W
Keyboard+mouse black wired
UPS 1000VA

I do not plan to install a sound card for the time being as I plan to use the one in the mobo ... until I have sufficient funds to buy a good one ;)

P.s. this is the first time I'll be building my PC myself

Thanks!!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Get 2GB and any brand except Corsair which you pay too much for right now. Look at any brand (G.Skill, Geil) DDR2-667 CAS4

Ditch the video card, and get a X1900XT 256MB which smacks the GS around in almost every benchmark there is.

Ancale

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Thanks for your help. I will swap to seagate as you suggested (and it has a 16Mb buffer compared to the 8Mb I was going to get... for almost the same price).

Regarding the wifi - I will be connecting to my home network through it as computer location is in a "cabling unfriendly" position :p I just hope it will be reliabile enough... if not I'll have to find a way to get the ethernet cable to get there... but my laptop's wifi connection in the location is very stable!

Yes I will be getting the SAMSUNG 204BW Black 20" 6ms Widescreen LCD and I guess you might be right in suggesting the 1900XT. I'll prob go for the sapphire 256Mb version: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102051
Anyone knows if its a bit too noisy? (do you think the P180 can help reduce this noise?)

I'm also checking into the memory and will most probably get 2Gb - DDR667; depending on the price - bit difficult to check prices during the weekend ... I need to import from the US and there are a few shops which will provide you with a guarantee when doing so. Part of the joys of living on a little island ;)

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Also swap the hard drive for the Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB, and if you don't need the integrated wireless solution, drop to the regular P5B

I second that, I have the very same drive, faster and quieter.

Currently changing my x1900xtx for the new 7900GTO, selling for $260, and posting near the same bench marks with far less heat, noise or power requirement.

It is a steal at this price.

You will not regret the 2 gigs of ram.

TRENDING THREADS