about sp2 & system restore

azy

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004

Hi I have not installed sp2 from the cd I have yet till I get a good idea as
to what I am up against. I have brieflyread the MS web site tips but decided
to go to Dell.com (my pc brand) to see what they say. Here is one question
that I saw.

Q: Can I use system restore to go back to a restore point before Service
Pack 2 was installed?
A: Using system restore to restore to a date before SP2 was installed may
cause a blue screen error after the restore is complete. The only way to
recover from this error is to reinstall Windows XP and all drivers and
software, therefore it is recommended that you uninstall SP2 from the Add or
Remove Program feature in control panel.

Am I right to think that this means that AFTER on installs sp2, one cannot
big mess? SO then new restore points have to be made from the day and
forward that sp2 becomes installed? SHould one turn off (place a check) in
the box in system rest. prior to installation. thanks if u can help

It won't matter whether you uncheck it, or not. However, it will flush out all the old restore points. And SP2 is uninstallable from Add/Remove Programs.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Azy" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message news:ucgIZwszEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi I have not installed sp2 from the cd I have yet till I get a good idea as
> to what I am up against. I have brieflyread the MS web site tips but decided
> to go to Dell.com (my pc brand) to see what they say. Here is one question
> that I saw.
>
> Q: Can I use system restore to go back to a restore point before Service
> Pack 2 was installed?
> A: Using system restore to restore to a date before SP2 was installed may
> cause a blue screen error after the restore is complete. The only way to
> recover from this error is to reinstall Windows XP and all drivers and
> software, therefore it is recommended that you uninstall SP2 from the Add or
> Remove Program feature in control panel.
>
> Am I right to think that this means that AFTER on installs sp2, one cannot
> big mess? SO then new restore points have to be made from the day and
> forward that sp2 becomes installed? SHould one turn off (place a check) in
> the box in system rest. prior to installation. thanks if u can help

Sorry Doug but I'm running XPPro and have removed SP2 using Add/remove
programs and reinstalled it later.

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> It won't matter whether you uncheck it, or not. However, it will flush out all the old restore points. And SP2 is uninstallable from Add/Remove Programs.
>
> --
> Doug Knox, MS-MVP Windows Media Center\Windows Powered Smart Display
> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "Azy" <mr@mr.com> wrote in message news:ucgIZwszEHA.3976@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Hi I have not installed sp2 from the cd I have yet till I get a good idea as
> > to what I am up against. I have brieflyread the MS web site tips but decided
> > to go to Dell.com (my pc brand) to see what they say. Here is one question
> > that I saw.
> >
> > Q: Can I use system restore to go back to a restore point before Service
> > Pack 2 was installed?
> > A: Using system restore to restore to a date before SP2 was installed may
> > cause a blue screen error after the restore is complete. The only way to
> > recover from this error is to reinstall Windows XP and all drivers and
> > software, therefore it is recommended that you uninstall SP2 from the Add or
> > Remove Program feature in control panel.
> >
> > Am I right to think that this means that AFTER on installs sp2, one cannot
> > big mess? SO then new restore points have to be made from the day and
> > forward that sp2 becomes installed? SHould one turn off (place a check) in
> > the box in system rest. prior to installation. thanks if u can help

TRENDING THREADS