Wireless Redundancy

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Hey guys,

Quick question: In my home I have three access points (well, two wireless routers that are set as switches/access points and one true access point); a DLINK 802.11A/B/G, Linksys 802.11B/G, and Netgear 802.11B. They are all running unique SSID's and running 64 bit WEP.

My question: If there is a way I can set the same WEP key on all the routers, is there a way I can set each to have the same SSID so they will all work together or act as a fallback if I go out of range of one of the WAPs or one of them happens to go down?
Would the 802.11B (11mbps) access point cause any problems with this or would this not work at all with my equipment? Right now I have all the SSIDs set in order of preferred and the other access points act as a fall back to the one above it in the list.

Thanks guys

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
If there is a way I can set the same WEP key on all the routers, is there a way I can set each to have the same SSID so they will all work together or act as a fallback if I go out of range of one of the WAPs or one of them happens to go down

Is there a way? I am confused. Are you asking if it will work? Yes, you can do both. As to a way, well, just do it. Manually input the same WEP key(s) and same goes for the SSID. Same SSID will actually make roaming more manageable.

TC10284

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2001
Well, I am wondering if having an 802.11B only access point will cause issues with doing this. I guess I should just STFU and try it :D

Tavis