RoHS Motherboard and Non RoHS memory combination

maran_m

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Hi,

Can any one tell me whether "Lead free"- RoHS mother board with non RoHS memory combination create any problem.?

Similarly do motherboards require seperate BIOS FW for RoHS and non RoHS boards? If so basically what all parameters considered?

Thanks in advance.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Hi,

Can any one tell me whether "Lead free"- RoHS mother board with non RoHS memory combination create any problem.?

Similarly do motherboards require seperate BIOS FW for RoHS and non RoHS boards? If so basically what all parameters considered?

Thanks in advance.

Does putting a wood chair on a concrete floor create a problem? nah...

Mex

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
RoHS is an environmental standard, not a technological one. Compliance with this standard means that the component manufacturer has minimized the use of hazardous materials (Such as the heavy metals Lead and Mercury) in the production of its products.

If you're a greenie, buy RoHS compliant devices. Non-compliant devices will stil work with compliant ones, because as I said, it's an environmental standard.

Mondoman

Splendid
It stands for Restriction of Hazardous Substances; it is a directive that went into effect in the EU in July.
In general, there should not be issues mixing the two types of items. However, many RoHS items are likely to be less reliable than their non-compliant equivalents (because of e.g. issues w/lead solder replacements). This is why certain exemptions have been granted (for example, for servers).

maran_m

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
You're right, For RoHS mobo the bios specs are altered with respect to change in Temp, Fan speed and other special ports details.